pilchard and surf popper

FranticD

Hi Guys,

I was hoping someone could advise me on this.

Basically, when im usually beach fishing I use a star sinker with a pilchard on 3 gang hooks. However, i now want to add a Surf Popper to the rig to try and double my chances.

can someone please post me a link to what type of Rig i need, and what type of knots i need to use for this set up?

To be honest, i was just thinking about using a running star sinker, to a 3 way swivel, then 1 leader with the pilchard and the other with the surf popper.

I think the above method will probably cause tangles though.

thanks

Paternoster rig with 2 dropper loops gangs on the bottom surf popper on the top. The surf popper has never been successful for me but that may be because I've never been fishing in a school of fish off the baches busting up

I generally fish a rig that starts with a swivel, then a length of mono with a blood loop towards the bottom of it to which I attach my hook length and gang, then down to a star sinker. I tie the surf popper to a length of fluorocarbon an ten to then to the eye of the swivel at the top.

I have caught a few on the popper and as long as the rig is long enough that the popper and the gangs can't reach each other you won't get tangles.

Hope this helps.

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't use that rig for my limited surf fishing but a 2 hook paternoster is the go. I use it sometimes when bottom bashing with a soft plastic on the top hook. If you tie your droppers using a twisted dropper knot you will avoid a lot of tangles particularly in moving water like the surf. The surf pooper is particularly handy (again from reading not practise) when school fish like tailor and salmon chop into the pilly creating there own little burley patch and the popper is the only thing left to eat.

My Dad is a demon with a surf popper - younger bro and I haven't bothered with them much, but if the bite is slow, Dad puts on a prebought, prerigged surf popper + gang and catches 90% of his fish on the popper. He is also using this rig with a star or other heavy sinker, so the popper doesn't really get to the surface - I think it must be bubble trail, plus the attraction of the feathers that gets the interest, even if he has a tasty pilchard on the gang underneath the popper. Amazing sometimes that he will clean up on salmon, bonito and tailor from the beach or rocks - all on the little size 1 or 2 hook on the surf popper. He's also had good success using the same rig (popper + gang) under a float.

Naturally he tries to tell us 'kids' that its just because of the alvey... we might win when it comes to size of fish, but the old man certainly gets the numbers.

• Like 1

Hi mate

Learning to tie a paternoster rig yourself isnt to hard and will save you a few. Hacks so you do t have to buy the premaid ones.

I usually put the popper up top and a single hook down the bottom primarily because you can catch more fish with a single hook rather than using ganged hooks.

Fishingphase

hi

go on the ***** website

they sell an already made paternoster rig with 3 gang hooks and one surf popper

all you need to do is add the sinker

used this rig on the beach with success

the rig cost $5

good luck

Can someone please provide me with a good link which demonstrates how to set up the paternoster rig and what type of knots to use?

Best online demo ever. The paternoster is the first one he does...

Hope this helps...

I learnt this knot form the vid and caught my first sambo the next day

Edited by elferoz777

Paternoster rig with 2 dropper loops gangs on the bottom surf popper on the top. The surf popper has never been successful for me but that may be because I've never been fishing in a school of fish off the baches busting up

used this rig last weekend landed a sambo right on the shoreline reeling in my line after my bottom hook was baited!

Have been using this exact rig at palm beach lately. Star sinker below a ganged pilchard and a blue surf popper further up. I use the three way swivels. 10lb braid and 20lb fc leader. 50\50popper v bait. Lots of tailer about.

hi

i have a greenish coloured surf popper and this seems to be working for me

as i said i have caught bream around the 30 cm mark on this rig

i am not sure how well the other colours are though.

sam

Thanks Sam. I just bought 4 different colours. Blue red green brown. I'll try n test them on my next day off which is gonna be next Monday.