Bermagui. Kings and other fun stuff

Dfishin

Went down to Bermagui on sat 12th and just got home today.

The first few days saw some gusty winds and fairly bad seas. Over the first few days i spent most of my time fishing some closer reefs at anchor for snapper which produced a few nice pan size fish but alot of smaller fish. While the bad weather was around i spent some time collecting bait in the calm waters of Horseshoe Bay. We managed to find the yakkas and also caught a fair number of squid ( Some of the squid went to the table and some for bait )

Also while the weather was rough we did a bit of trolling around the bay with some Chromies and some rapala Xrap divers Which produced 2 tailor that went 50 cm each and a number of bonito around the bombie.

The weather started to get amazing with calm winds and seas for days from thursday onwards.

Friday we got live yakkas and squid and headed to montague island. the island didnt produce the fish i was hoping for with only one bonito landed trolling some lures around a surface school of bait. Although i didnt really leave myself enough time to explore around to find the fish.

Saturday we had great conditions again and we decided to head wide to the shelf to try for some tuna and mix it with the Tuna comp boats ( I wasnt in the Comp ) I spent some time trolling and cubing and only had one hit on a live bait cubing on the Bunga canyons. ( Report on the tuna comp in gamefishing section South Coast YFT )

Sunday i Decided to head south to a reef that has produced Kingies for me in the past. This paid off. As soon as i reached my mark there was good currents schools of fish everywher and birds hitting the water like dive bombs.

First drop of the Knife jig and i get a good fight from the best bonito ive seen in years which was a fat 65cm fish. The next few hours i pick up many rat kings that went back on the jig and one better king that went 70 cm that fell to a live yakka on the bottom

Monday i couldnt resist but to hit the same reef as the day before. This day i got to the reef at around lunch time and fished it till about 4pm. So in around 3-4 hrs i fish on my own using one live bait on the bottom and one jig rod. I land probably 15-20 kings not all of size but managed 5 keepers between 68-75cm. Every drift my live bait got smashed but didnt hook up as i was using a rod with no braid and not being able to hold the rod for the hook up.

A great earned holiday with not alot fishing lately dur to work

And some great scenery.

Oh and a big disapointment and dampener on the trip as i got a Tiagra 50w setup and my Jigging rod seen in the photos stolen on the last arvo out of my boat while cleaning the fish. This is not common in bermi. alot of people around for the comp and the theives came out.

Dave

post-17313-044140700 1337689185_thumb.jpg

post-17313-083481300 1337689200_thumb.jpg

post-17313-034533200 1337689252_thumb.jpg

post-17313-077227200 1337689272_thumb.jpg

post-17313-080032500 1337689320_thumb.jpg

post-17313-063199200 1337689571_thumb.jpg

post-17313-006981700 1337689827_thumb.jpg

post-17313-090619600 1337690045_thumb.jpg

post-17313-099307000 1337690074_thumb.jpg

Edited by Dfishin

What a complete :ranting2: !!!

I hate thieves with every essence of my being. I live in the Bega shire, do you have serial numbers on it and details on the rod? If so I can keep an eye out for it on the local buy and sell sights. Just a suggestion.

Luc.

What a complete :ranting2: !!!

I hate thieves with every essence of my being. I live in the Bega shire, do you have serial numbers on it and details on the rod? If so I can keep an eye out for it on the local buy and sell sights. Just a suggestion.

Luc.

Thanx for your concern. I will try and see what i can find paper work on the gear and PM you if i can find the papers. I dont like my chances. Not having much luck lately 2-3 yrs ago me and my brother got a brand new ski/wakeboard boat stolen with prob $7000 worth of gear in it

But it definitely didnt wreck my week. I know the gear is money and can be purchased again over time, Till then back to jigging with my bottom bashing gear :thumbup:

Dave

Yeh they were profesionals. I put all my snapper and bottom ( cheaper gear ) on the floor in the back of the boat. then picked the jig stick up and put it to bed up the front with the tiagra in the cabin. They must of seen me put my jig gear up in the cabin and knew thats were i had my good gear. all the rods on the floor of the boat were left there.

Thanx for your concern. I will try and see what i can find paper work on the gear and PM you if i can find the papers. I dont like my chances. Not having much luck lately 2-3 yrs ago me and my brother got a brand new ski/wakeboard boat stolen with prob $7000 worth of gear in it

But it definitely didnt wreck my week. I know the gear is money and can be purchased again over time, Till then back to jigging with my bottom bashing gear :thumbup:

Dave

I feel for ya. It sucks when you work hard for things then parasites feel they deserve it more for doing jack shite. They need a stiff kick in their distended rectums.