Going out Saturday any reports

Did anyone strike gold today? Thinking about tomorrow but was hoping for some feedback before I enrage my wife and leave the nursery unpainted again!

don't do anything silly mate. you need the points for next weekend

Sorry for the late post but it was pretty quiet got a few blue eye current was running at about 2-3 knots at browns didn't bother cubbing &didn't hear much other than a guy hooked up on a Marlin at longy @ about 5 o'clock on snapper gear he said he was fighting it it for an hour & a half, i wonder if he landed it ???

Edited by scaffsta

Sorry for the late post but it was pretty quiet got a few blue eye current was running at about 2-3 knots at browns didn't bother cubbing &didn't hear much other than a guy hooked up on a Marlin at longy @ about 5 o'clock on snapper gear he said he was fighting it it for an hour & a half, i wonder if he landed it ???

Thanks for your reply,

I ended up heading out Friday night, beeing keen, with a few mates, and got to browns at about 11pm, we tried for blue eye with no luck, then about 2am we started cubing, till we saw a fin quickly disappear as quick as it appeared, it was a large fin, this was just on sunrise around 6ish, half an hour later there was some pulling at the lines and lost a few baits, we looked back and saw a large mako shark snatching our live baits and pilchards off the hook, before I had a chance to set up a wire trace, the large mako was on the okuma Makara 50 set up for tuna with mono 80lb leader, I pulled it up as quick as I could to save the mono leader, we had it up to the boat three times, but had issues loosing the flying gaff pole on the first attempt (due to nervs), the mako was about three meters plus, it was recorded with the go pro on wide angle, it looked smaller in the video, maybe due to the wide angle, will post the video later as we only got back today,

Whether we technically caught it or not you be the judge, the leader was in our hands, and the shark was pulled up to the boat. Also what would a 3metre mako weigh?

Althoe it was a quiet trip overall that mako made our day worthwhile.

Also went out Saturday 2/6 12 to Browns, counted about 20 boats. In 7 drifts we ended up with 10 blue eye between 8kg - 15kg. Wind picked up about 12pm and couldn't hold the bottom, left as the weather started to turn. Back at the boat ramp at 1.30pm when the rain arrived. Cleaned the fish and spoke to some others who had a quiet day at Browns. Here's a photo prior to our last drift that raised another three.

Cheers the President.

post-11722-042319100 1338678979_thumb.jpg

Id say thats why the fin left your cube trail Mr Mako turning up mite have been the reason, perhaps i should of had a cube problem was i was alone, the conditions got great just before dark i ended up trolling down to southern canyons to try find a temp break but there was no change 20.5 all the way until i got inside the shelf where it dropped to 19.5 anyway next trip will hopefully see the current back off a bit & ill be cubbing for sure.

Still was a good trip got a good feed of blue eye & gemfish.

Nice haul there President well done.

Edited by scaffsta

that bloke that hooked up was one of my good mates, he hooked it on snapper gear being 30 pound braide and 30 pound leader, fighting it for 4 hours, ending up breaking free in the end, he was spewing

that bloke that hooked up was one of my good mates, he hooked it on snapper gear being 30 pound braide and 30 pound leader, fighting it for 4 hours, ending up breaking free in the end, he was spewing

Damn shame about that theres nothing worse than a long fight only to lose the fish :ranting2:

Thanks for your reply,

I ended up heading out Friday night, beeing keen, with a few mates, and got to browns at about 11pm, we tried for blue eye with no luck, then about 2am we started cubing, till we saw a fin quickly disappear as quick as it appeared, it was a large fin, this was just on sunrise around 6ish, half an hour later there was some pulling at the lines and lost a few baits, we looked back and saw a large mako shark snatching our live baits and pilchards off the hook, before I had a chance to set up a wire trace, the large mako was on the okuma Makara 50 set up for tuna with mono 80lb leader, I pulled it up as quick as I could to save the mono leader, we had it up to the boat three times, but had issues loosing the flying gaff pole on the first attempt (due to nervs), the mako was about three meters plus, it was recorded with the go pro on wide angle, it looked smaller in the video, maybe due to the wide angle, will post the video later as we only got back today,

Whether we technically caught it or not you be the judge, the leader was in our hands, and the shark was pulled up to the boat. Also what would a 3metre mako weigh?

Althoe it was a quiet trip overall that mako made our day worthwhile.

Well after showing a mate of mine the video he told me that it was a blue shark, here is the you tube clip, I thaught I'd edit it as there was too much swearing, and carrying on