Horror Night At Yowie Bay Wharf

ssantoro

Sick of our usual Friday night fishing spot in the East, so we headed down south to see what we could find. Stumbled across the Yowie Bay wharf, the place was spacious and looked perfect to fish. We tossed in our lines one using prawns and the other on chicken, the bites started hitting instantaneously and a few minutes in, up came the first and only fish for the night....a baby snapper. Then the bites stopped, I had a burley trail of pillies and chicken pellets flowing...but nothing was attracted. I switched to soft plastics to see if I could catch something on the flick, but no there was nothing doing ;( After a while I walked over to my burley and noticed something that looked like a net in the water, upon closer inspection we realised this was not a net, but a large layer of oil or something; this is what we saw floating in it post-22947-008352900 1338564237_thumb.jpeg

We could not fish there anymore, so we packed up and started to leave when we noticed 10 squid along the floor of the boat ramp. Not sure how they got there, but I think they just wanted to get out of that water....it was so bad.

does anyone have any productive spots down south?

post-22947-082706600 1338564445_thumb.jpeg

Edited by extremeterror

Sick of our usual Friday night fishing spot in the East, so we headed down south to see what we could find. Stumbled across the Yowie Bay wharf, the place was spacious and looked perfect to fish. We tossed in our lines one using prawns and the other on chicken, the bites started hitting instantaneously and a few minutes in, up came the first and only fish for the night....a baby snapper. Then the bites stopped, I had a burley trail of pillies and chicken pellets flowing...but nothing was attracted. I switched to soft plastics to see if I could catch something on the flick, but no there was nothing doing ;( After a while I walked over to my burley and noticed something that looked like a net in the water, upon closer inspection we realised this not a net, but a large layer of oil and this what we saw floating in it post-22947-008352900 1338564237_thumb.jpeg

We could not fish there anymore, so we packed up and started to leave when we noticed 10 squid along the floor of the boat ramp. Not sure how they got there, but I think they just wanted to get out of that water....it was so bad.

does anyone have any productive spots down south?

Yeah, Yowie Bay wharf looks like a nice spot, but it has some downsides. One is the marina next door, which never bodes well. The other, bigger problem is the stormwater drain which is set into the seawall behind the wharf. I've seen some absolutely foul stuff come out of there. Some unscrupulous people have worked out that it drains directly into the bay from the street drains up the hill, and is a great place for an 'accidental' spill of whatever when you can't be bothered paying for proper disposal.

Better places to try for land based around the Hacking would be:

The wharf at Lilli Pilli baths, and the end of the dogleg on Lilli Pilli Point road.

Gymea Bay Wharf. Get to it from Ellesmere Road.

The sand flats at the end of Grays Point Road near Mansion Bay. Good spot at low tide.

Bundeena Wharf, but watch for the ferry during day time.

The wharves can be pretty packed on a good day, so make sure you have a plan B.

A shame it is like that now. Started my fishing there over 50 years ago, and in those days only a boat a day was launched at the ramp. The storm water drain was always clean, and some mates used to drop into the drain hole at the Scout Hall and ride their billycarts down the drain and into the water. Plenty of fish to be caught, and not many fishermen about at all.

Yowie.

Yeah, Yowie Bay wharf looks like a nice spot, but it has some downsides. One is the marina next door, which never bodes well. The other, bigger problem is the stormwater drain which is set into the seawall behind the wharf. I've seen some absolutely foul stuff come out of there. Some unscrupulous people have worked out that it drains directly into the bay from the street drains up the hill, and is a great place for an 'accidental' spill of whatever when you can't be bothered paying for proper disposal.

Better places to try for land based around the Hacking would be:

The wharf at Lilli Pilli baths, and the end of the dogleg on Lilli Pilli Point road.

Gymea Bay Wharf. Get to it from Ellesmere Road.

The sand flats at the end of Grays Point Road near Mansion Bay. Good spot at low tide.

Bundeena Wharf, but watch for the ferry during day time.

The wharves can be pretty packed on a good day, so make sure you have a plan B.

Awesome mate thanks

I wonder if the appropriate authority was informed to check out where the source came from because if it is left alone this time after time which is a shame to the cleanest waterway around Sydney.

Who would you report it too...local council or environment and heritage department?

Who would you report it too...local council or environment and heritage department?

Report is here via NSW Maritime it is a good start.

Reporting Water Pollution

Why pollution should be reported

Pollution, whether in the form of litter, sewage, greywater, bilgewater, hull scrapings or chemicals, can adversely affect the health and amenity of our waterways.

All waterway users are encouraged to promptly report any pollution they see. This allows authorities to make a timely response and helps to minimise any damage to the environment.

Prompt reporting also increases the chances of successful action against those responsible for the pollution.

Who should pollution be reported to?

If the pollution appears to be coming from a vessel on the water it should be reported to Maritime’s Info Line on 13 12 56.

Try to record relevant details such as the vessel name and registration number, the time and place of the incident and the type of pollution.

If the pollution appears to be coming from a marina or land-based facilities, or from a vessel ‘on the slips’, you need to contact either the Office of Environment and Heritage (OEH) or the local Council.

Most larger facilities require a licence from the OEH and you should check that agency’s public register of licenced premises at www.environment.nsw.gov.au/prpoeoapp/searchregister.aspx.

If the premises are listed you can report the incident to the OEH pollution line on 13 15 55, providing as many relevant details as possible. This line is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

If the facilities are not listed on the OEH public register, they are the responsibility of the local Council and you should report the incident to them.

Report is here via NSW Maritime it is a good start.

Reporting Water Pollution

Why pollution should be reported

Pollution, whether in the form of litter, sewage, greywater, bilgewater, hull scrapings or chemicals, can adversely affect the health and amenity of our waterways.

All waterway users are encouraged to promptly report any pollution they see. This allows authorities to make a timely response and helps to minimise any damage to the environment.

Prompt reporting also increases the chances of successful action against those responsible for the pollution.

Who should pollution be reported to?

If the pollution appears to be coming from a vessel on the water it should be reported to Maritime’s Info Line on 13 12 56.

Try to record relevant details such as the vessel name and registration number, the time and place of the incident and the type of pollution.

If the pollution appears to be coming from a marina or land-based facilities, or from a vessel ‘on the slips’, you need to contact either the Office of Environment and Heritage (OEH) or the local Council.

Most larger facilities require a licence from the OEH and you should check that agency’s public register of licenced premises at www.environment.nsw.gov.au/prpoeoapp/searchregister.aspx.

If the premises are listed you can report the incident to the OEH pollution line on 13 15 55, providing as many relevant details as possible. This line is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

If the facilities are not listed on the OEH public register, they are the responsibility of the local Council and you should report the incident to them.

reported the other day, thanks.