New to fishing

albyandjj

Hi All ,

My 6 year old son wants to learn to fish (me too) so we bought a tinny and need some help

to catch some fish (any fish or squid) we live at Hallett Cove SA and dont want to go way

off shore please can you help with some spots

Any sugestions

Regards

Alby and JJ

Hmm... I think most of the members on this forum are from NSW and the East Coast of Australia so you might find it difficult getting an answer to that here, hehe.

New to all of this will try another website

ps SA is shit stay away he he

Hi Alby, I thought a few of those replies were abrupt and not really indicative of most Fishraider site users. I have fished at Cape Jervis and caught plenty of fish, mainly King George whiting and Snapper. Although this is only a few hrs South of Adelaide, I'm sure you will find other areas closer. I'm assuming you have a small boat, so just be careful to pick a calm day with good weather forecast, leave the boat ramp and return during daylight hours. Some launching places you may need to consider the tide height for launch and retrieve, though this is not as important for a small boat, as a big one. I find the fishing great in SA and we come over there each year. Cheers Neil.

Guest hawkesbass

i agree with neil you should stick with this site and post reports from sa to let us know what is being caught at different times off the year and may inspire other members myself included to visit sa for a fishing holiday good luck in your future fishing endeavours

Didn't mean to sound abrupt - I'd love to have lots of people from SA using this site. I just thought that those to sites might be of some use. :1fishing1::1welcomeani:

Hi mate,

Fishing in SA is nothing short of extraudinary for 2 main fish:

KING GEORGE WHITING

Inshore and offshore. Locate weed beds, sand banks, sand spits etc. Fish with pippy baits, nippers, even fresh squid for the big fellas. Paternosta rig or running sinker. Berley with chook pellets, pippy shells, prawn shells.

INSHORE / OFFHSORE SNAPPER

For snapper business as usual, find structure both close to shore and offshore. Drop offs, wrecks etc. Berley hard and fish with as little LEAD as possible down the berley trail. Big, big, big snapper in large numbers. Places like WYALLA are incredible, however, you dont need to be in WYALLA to locate solid snapper. The place is dripping with solid snapper.

Butch

Hi All ,

My 6 year old son wants to learn to fish (me too) so we bought a tinny and need some help

to catch some fish (any fish or squid) we live at Hallett Cove SA and dont want to go way

off shore please can you help with some spots

Any sugestions

Regards

Alby and JJ

Welcome to fishraider mate!

I would launch at Wirrinna. Plenty of inshore spots for some rugger snapper and the KGW should be starting to come on the chew down there as well. Drift along the front of the breakwall and the cliffs to the left or the right and you will find plenty of squid.

used to be a local (and miss it) enjoy.

Hi mate, I'm now in Sydney but fished Adelaide for many years including working with a pro off Adelaide. We regaularly caught hundreds of squid per session in the Hallet Cove bay from Nov to Feb over the weed areas only 150 metres off the beach. If you go about 1 km off shore to the sand patches you will catch kg whiting during winter. All the best with your son as I love helping pointing kids in the right direction

And I should have added, despite living in Sydney I still travel to Kangaroo Island 4 times a year with one trip designed for the snapper run, 2 trips for KG whiting & one trip when the squid run is on. It's not far from Hallet Cove & you are always in sheltered water with bag limit catches almost guaranteed if you match the moon & tides

Hi mate, I'm now in Sydney but fished Adelaide for many years including working with a pro off Adelaide. We regaularly caught hundreds of squid per session in the Hallet Cove bay from Nov to Feb over the weed areas only 150 metres off the beach. If you go about 1 km off shore to the sand patches you will catch kg whiting during winter. All the best with your son as I love helping pointing kids in the right direction

And I should have added, despite living in Sydney I still travel to Kangaroo Island 4 times a year with one trip designed for the snapper run, 2 trips for KG whiting & one trip when the squid run is on. It's not far from Hallet Cove & you are always in sheltered water with bag limit catches almost guaranteed if you match the moon & tides

I may move down to SA. Sounds great. I'm itching to go to Yalata some time in the future.

Anyway, welcome Alby and JJ. :1welcomeani:

Looking forward to reading your posts. :biggrin2: