Eventful day - Middle Harbour

rjc123

Hey raiders,

haven't posted a report in a month or so... Go out today and hit up roseville. I was fishing just to the left of the boatramp (construction site). The plan was to catch a few livies and have them out while i flicked sp. I had some fresh squid as back up in case bait was hard to come by. There was no shortage of tailor and bream at first, but no yakkas... Managed two 30cm tailor on 2" Gulp Shrimps and put them in the bucket to use as livies. Kept trying only to nail a few smaller bream and tailor before i set the baits. One rod with a running sinker to a 5/0 J hook on 40lb leader, The next with a running sinker to a snell with 6/0 hooks and half a squid. Nothing for the first half hour before the baitrunner with the live tailor came to life. Let it run for about 10 seconds before i struck. The was a lot of weight and a good head-shake before the line went slack... Wound it in and 40lb leader was chewed through. Likely to be a bull shark.. Kept on fishing and over the next 2 hours i got at least 40 tailor to 36cm, 2 silver trevally to 33cm and a fair few undersize bream. Also nailed a baby John Dory (40cm) on a 100mm wriggler. I had finally caught a yakka on a little slither of squid which measured 22cm. Perfect Jewie size :biggrin2: . Whacked him out only to have a cormorant steal it... This happened twice today... bloody birds... :ranting2: . With the light beginning to fade, i whacked out my last tailor (31cm). After a good 25minutes the bait was engulfed once again. Did the exact same thing and waited 10 seconds. Clicked into fighting drag and bang. A lot of weight straight away. Took a good run of about 25m straight away. I had to put the breaks on as he was heading straight for the moorings... Locked up drag and POP. NOT AGAINN!!!! Wound it up and examined it closely. Faulty leader knot it seemed... What a shame. Would have been a fantastic way to end the day with a big jewie :thumbdown: . Anyway, thats what keeps you going back for more. The fresh squid remained untouched the whole day! Fussy fish! Hopefully you all get a few over the weekend !

Cheers, Tom

Edited by mack attack 79

Sounds like you were matching the hatch with the live taylor though....plus they are fun on the own on light tackle....shame you didn't get a look at either fish....there is always next time as your said.

Don't you hate it when that happens. Better luck next time mate.

I've gone to circles and they've made a huge difference. A tighter drag and a hook up in the corner of the mouth, fantastic! Those sharks shouldn't stand a chance if you try them cause the leader should be away from their teeth. You could lighten your leader as well. Just remember not to strike and let the fish hook itself. :biggrin2:

Edited by J Hooked

Don't you hate it when that happens. Better luck next time mate.

I've gone to circles and they've made a huge difference. A tighter drag and a hook up in the corner of the mouth, fantastic! Those sharks shouldn't stand a chance if you try them cause the leader should be away from their teeth. You could lighten your leader as well. Just remember not to strike and let the fish hook itself. :biggrin2:

Thanks mate, i usually use circles but i was land based today with multiple rods so opted to fish a light drag with a J hook. Your definitely right, i could have gone a little lighter with the leader but when your fishing next to a construction site (mostly in the water) it just brought a little piece at mind to run 40lb.

Cheers, Tom

Thanks mate, i usually use circles but i was land based today with multiple rods so opted to fish a light drag with a J hook. Your definitely right, i could have gone a little lighter with the leader but when your fishing next to a construction site (mostly in the water) it just brought a little piece at mind to run 40lb.

Cheers, Tom

Too right mate. The fish seem to know where all the snags are to bust you off. Who ever said fish are dumb creatures should reconsider their thoughts lol.

Pity you never got to see what nailed your lively. With this weather putting alot of people off fishing there are some bloody good fish to still be caught :biggrin2:

Dan

Very true mate, Some big jew to be caught during winter! :biggrin2:

Good work buddy!

I fish down at roseville very often and there are some big jewies up that way!

Now is a great time to target them.

Keep doing what your doing and hopefully you will land that big girl one day!

Good work buddy!

I fish down at roseville very often and there are some big jewies up that way!

Now is a great time to target them.

Keep doing what your doing and hopefully you will land that big girl one day!

Hey mate,

Your right. There are some big jews down there. I've been done on 50lb braid on the bridge pylons with live tailor at least a dozen times in the last few years! Got one this season at 96cm which was good :biggrin2: . Do you fish the bridge or head upstream?

Hey mate,

Your right. There are some big jews down there. I've been done on 50lb braid on the bridge pylons with live tailor at least a dozen times in the last few years! Got one this season at 96cm which was good :biggrin2: . Do you fish the bridge or head upstream?

I mainly fish upstream Landbased, using big lures - a variety of HB's and soft plastics.

I will take the boat up there the next moon and soak some big baits

Yeah, there's some good spots up that way for lure tossers! Have you had any luck ?

hey buddy,

yeah it took me about 3.5 years to get my first one at 80cm. Since than I get one, sometimes two a month up that way. There is a specific time where they seem to stay up there for a couple of days.

Took me ages to figure out. I usually fish for them twice a month - for about 4 hours a session.

If they are there, you will get them.

My biggest to date is 18kg and have caught plenty around the 10-15kg mark. Been blown away a few times as well.

The hard part is landing them from the rocks.

hey buddy,

yeah it took me about 3.5 years to get my first one at 80cm. Since than I get one, sometimes two a month up that way. There is a specific time where they seem to stay up there for a couple of days.

Took me ages to figure out. I usually fish for them twice a month - for about 4 hours a session.

If they are there, you will get them.

My biggest to date is 18kg and have caught plenty around the 10-15kg mark. Been blown away a few times as well.

The hard part is landing them from the rocks.

Couldn't agree more about landing them. When i got my 96cm model to the rocks i had to clamber down and half get in the water... not too fun.. 18kg is the biggest i've heard of up that way. Do they stay around in Winter?

Yup, it defiently is the hardest part.

They are there all year. Most success is in the winter months - The big girls come out to play in Aug - Oct

Sounds good :biggrin2: I'll keep at it!

Hi Tom

I had no idea Big Jewies would be that close to the ramp mate especially with all that boat ramp noise. Incredible.

Do they take live Yakkas or are they favouring live TAYLOR & SQUID?

Thanks

Butch

User 1829 is right. The ramps out of action atm for upgrades etc... There are definitely some nice jewies up that way. Got my first decent one a few hundred meters upstream from the ramp in April. 96cm on a live 32cm Tailor. They are my favourite bait up there as you get some thumping big flatties on them too! I'm sure you'd be able tog get them on yakkas and squid too. Many say that there arent squid that far upstream. There defnitely are. Got 4 at the ramp a few weeks ago which got me a brace of good bream! Plenty of yakkas as well :thumbup: