Caught In Sydney Harbour

Madden

Question

15 answers to this question

I think it's a juvenile javelin fish at least that's what we call em when we get them as a by catch in the hacking

Javelin fish ? We don't get them this far down mate.. Mainly a tropical estuarine species up north coming as far south as about tweed heads. What does the fish you've caught in the hacking look like ?

I think it's a juvenile javelin fish at least that's what we call em when we get them as a by catch in the hacking

I think your right juvenile javelin fish do you get them to any size in the hacking?

I think your right juvenile javelin fish do you get them to any size in the hacking?

I'd like to say its a javelin fish because they're fantastic eating :biggrin2: They don't come down this way though. Almost guarantee its a small spangled emperor/blue line emperor...

The fish is a member of the Lethrinidae (family of fish that contains emporers).

Common name - Lancer; Scientific name - Lethrinella nematacantha; recognised by having elongated second dorsal spine and a small dark blotch on body below lateral line and near the middle of the pectoral fin.

Picture of fish can be found in Grant's Guide to Fishes

its a sweetlip, its just lightened its colouring because its be living in a sandy environment for some time. ive seen the same thing sometimes up in queensland. unusual catch for this time of year, they are usually a summer fish.

Edited by Aspherious

i think it might be a spangled emporor. I caught this one earlier in the year... the must be a bit lost though

its a sweetlip, its just lightened its colouring because its be living in a sandy environment for some time. ive seen the same thing sometimes up in queensland. unusual catch for this time of year, they are usually a summer fish.

post-15187-064654000 1343949339_thumb.jpg