Wet blackies

hookerbruce

Sun afternoon thought about sitting in front of the fire with a glass of red or two and watching the footy, then decided I can watch footy any time so grabbed my coat and gear and went down the Georges for a fish between the showers.

Fished from 3:30 to 5:00 pm.

After 10 min no downs so moved 50 met down the river to another spot. First drift and the float started moving around as if a small fish so I waited then set the hook, the fish felt solid at first but gave up and came to the net quite easily.

A bream 27cm unluckily for him a change from blackie fillets was in order. Over the next hour I landed about 20 blackfish most around legal size most were released. Kept 4 fish 30-40 cm. Normally fish last of runnout beginning of run in so a good catch on the runout was a pleasant surprise.

Had a fellow come along while I was fishing explained to me my float was set up wrong and I was striking the wrong way and at the wrong time (obviously I haven't learnt anything in 50 years of blackfishing). I just smiled and said I would keep his info in mind next time I went fishing. He then admitted his last few trips were fishless.

Also fished last tues before the wind for a reasonable catch on the rising tide.

Saw salmon twice chase baitfish in near the shore might take a little spinstick with me next time.

The rain was kind to me and only needed the rain gear for the last 20mins

Bruce

Had a fellow come along while I was fishing explained to me my float was set up wrong and I was striking the wrong way and at the wrong time (obviously I haven't learnt anything in 50 years of blackfishing). I just smiled and said I would keep his info in mind next time I went fishing. He then admitted his last few trips were fishless. Bruce

Good going Bruce. I think I have met that fellow or his twins a few times myself :biggrin2:

Edited by stormy

Had a fellow come along while I was fishing explained to me my float was set up wrong and I was striking the wrong way and at the wrong time (obviously I haven't learnt anything in 50 years of blackfishing). I just smiled and said I would keep his info in mind next time I went fishing. He then admitted his last few trips were fishless.

Also fished last tues before the wind for a reasonable catch on the rising tide.

That's hilarious, I've met that bloke a few times myself. I remember one bloke telling me at Yamba Point one christmas how I shouldn't bother with the blackfish as they are only around in Winter, this was just before he saw the half dozen kilo fish swimming around in the keeper net :) its always a good laugh.

BTW good to see some people with ticker getting out in the bad weather.

Matt

G'day Bruce,

People are funny organisms aren't we ?

Some of us know everything, others know nothing, but all of us are somewhere in between.

Some of us will admit our knowledge status - for better or worse.

Others prefer to live in that special little dreamworld inside our their own head that they call reality but the rest of the world call DREAMWORLD !

Oddly enough though Bruce, I do know some fairly old timers that have gotten very used to their techniques over the years and stick to them through thick and thin.

Trouble is, when the conditions on the day are not compatible with their tried'n'trusted technique, they don't get much.

Then some young upstart turns up with all the wrong gear and wrong technique and starts cleaning up.

I have seen this before more than once over the years and it's funny watching people get the shirts.

I even saw people LEAVING the scene they were so peeved off.

Now in your case you DID catch fish so this guy was obviously a pelican.....

Did he look longingly at your fish ?

Did he have a big nose ?

:1prop:

Tony