Number of Rods

spanky231

As per the published rules from Fisheries you are allowed 4 rods/lines when fishing salt, 2 fresh.

But how is this counted? What if I had 5/6 rods in the bag but only 4 reels with me?

Does carrying the extra rods take me over the limit even though I realistically can't use them?

I understood it to be 4 rods in use, ie. rigged up with hooks an tackle. If you've got 6 rods and reels with two of them with no line through the guides then it's legal as far as I'm aware. The trouble is if you have 6 rods set up ready to go, even though you may only fish with one at a time.

That said, this is an issue that causes a lot of confusion. It'd be nice for fisheries to release a publication with the wording so there's confusion and things aren't left open to interpretation by the guys giving out the fines.

I was told once by a fisheries officer that the rods needed to be rigged to be in use,

but then asked him where this was stated in the legislation he couldn't tell me and said it comes down to commonsense....

Sorry I can't provide 100% answer...

I agree with abacederian. Pretty sure it refers to lines rigged with terminal tackle. You may not intend to use all of them but if you have more than six then they can apply some sort of penalty.

ohkay so say i've got 6 rods rigged with lures. I'm using one and the rest are stowed in a rod locker. I can cop a fine??? I would of thought that they would be better off focusing the law about the number of rods in use i.e. number lines in the water at one time. Having 50 rods rigged up with me wouldn't really matter if I'm only using one a time if you get what i mean? :) Hope someone can clear this up...

ohkay so say i've got 6 rods rigged with lures. I'm using one and the rest are stowed in a rod locker. I can cop a fine??? I would of thought that they would be better off focusing the law about the number of rods in use i.e. number lines in the water at one time. Having 50 rods rigged up with me wouldn't really matter if I'm only using one a time if you get what i mean? :) Hope someone can clear this up...

Thats definitely how it should be mate. Hopefully they change it some day. It would be a lot more convenient :biggrin2:

G'day wriggler1

I've heard it's rods out rigged, so if they are away in a locker or cabin you are fine as they are classed as 'stowed'

It's a very badly worded statement that needs clarification by fisheries.

Cheers Leo

If you have 6 rods with lures on them then you can be fined, whether they're stowed or not.

If the rules were that you could have as many rods as you like set up as long as you only use 4 at a time, then what's to stop people having say 6 lines in the water and as they see fisheries coming they reel 2 lines in, sit them on the floor and say they're "stowed"??

The point of these rules is to limit the damage people can do to fish populations. If you have 6 rods set up with 6 different lures, it means you can change you're methods straight away meaning you're more likely to catch more fish. More fish equals more impact on the fish population.

It's a very badly worded statement that needs clarification by fisheries.

yes - it could be better articulated in legislation, which statess:

Fisheries Management (General) Regulation 2010

Current version for 13 April 2012 to date (accessed 12 June 2012 at 21:12)

Part 3

Division 7 Use of hand held lines and drift lines

46 Hand held lines

(1) A person must not for the purpose of taking fish in any waters (other than inland waters):

(a) use more than 4 hand held lines, or

(B) use any hand held line with more than 3 single hooks or 3 gangs of hooks attached or with more than 3 treble hooks attached to a lure, or

(c ) use any hand held line with a gang of hooks that comprises more than 5 single hooks attached.

Maximum penalty: 100 penalty units.

(6) In this clause:

hand held line means a rod and line or handline.

http://www.legislation.nsw.gov.au/fragview/inforce/subordleg+475+2010+pt.3-div.7+0+N?tocnav=y

see how the legislation says "must not USE more than 4 rods", instead of "have more than four rods rigged"?

if it came down to court - wriggler's situation *might* pass...

but fisheries seems to interpret it another way???

another situation;

fishing with a mate, both of us have multiple rods: 4 with bait, 2 with lure, so 6 rods total between us.

mate decides we need more beer and ducks off the the shops after reeling in his two baited lines, but leaves the rigged rods and all his gear with me at the fishing spot...

so i am there with my three rods which are "in use" but i also have his three rods that are rigged (even has bait on the hooks as mate would be back in 10 minutes)- but not cast out...

the fisheries website states:

The table provides a maximum of each gear type permitted per person in use or in possession at any time.

(my emphasis)

and lists: "4 rods or hand lines"

so according to the DPI website i have too many rods in my possession??

but according to the current NSW law, which i have quoted above, i am only "using" 3 rods, so i am OK...

the legislation says nothing about "possession" of gear, and only refers to "use" - i dunno why the DPI thinks it can print rules prohibiting something without it being actually illegal?

another situation;

fishing with a mate, both of us have multiple rods: 4 with bait, 2 with lure, so 6 rods total between us.

mate decides we need more beer and ducks off the the shops after reeling in his two baited lines, but leaves the rigged rods and all his gear with me at the fishing spot...

so i am there with my three rods which are "in use" but i also have his three rods that are rigged (even has bait on the hooks as mate would be back in 10 minutes)- but not cast out...

the fisheries website states:

(my emphasis)

and lists: "4 rods or hand lines"

so according to the DPI website i have too many rods in my possession??

but according to the current NSW law, which i have quoted above, i am only "using" 3 rods, so i am OK...

the legislation says nothing about "possession" of gear, and only refers to "use" - i dunno why the DPI thinks it can print rules prohibiting something without it being actually illegal?

Also applies if your fishing buddy disappears in search of a dunny.

I think in this case the lines would be unattended, maybe we should all have our rods labeled unattended or not.

My original post refers to the fact that I live in Parramatta and would like some flexibility when I find some time to fish. So after travelling to

Botany, The Northern Beaches or where ever I'd be able to switch rods and fish even if I'm making do with the wrong reel.

Also applies if your fishing buddy disappears in search of a dunny.

I think in this case the lines would be unattended, maybe we should all have our rods labeled unattended or not.

My original post refers to the fact that I live in Parramatta and would like some flexibility when I find some time to fish. So after travelling to

Botany, The Northern Beaches or where ever I'd be able to switch rods and fish even if I'm making do with the wrong reel.

well in your OP case, having only 4 reels, it would be impossible to "use" more than four rods, as per the law...

the term 'possession' does not exist anywhere in the regulations, and is only used on the website and in the printed guides...

Do you think that fellow who fishes Balls Head cares about the rules. ( is he still there)

or

The guy who fishes with about eight rods in his tiny tinny in the Parra River near Gladesville concerned. Is he still there.

In the past fisheries were only interested in how many lines you had in the water but the new breed seem hell on bent testing our patients.

Guys/gals just remember if you are approached by fisheries be courteous and helpful and don`t be sarcastic. A friendly G`day and reply will see you treated accordingly. ( most of the time ) ie, explain to them politely how you deem the rule to be and why.

I had an incident with a fisheries officer two years ago at the boat ramp and he was determined to fine me but I kept my cool and in the end he agreed with my interpretation after I suggested he contact head office for a ruling. I am surprised it has not been reworded.

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe the comps get exemption for the pro fisherman...

As I said before the rules are too open to interpretation. They should be clarified in the official rules so there's no confusion.

I'd be inclined to agree with the "pro" status as part of the legislation deals with recreational fishing.

Irrespective of the legislation wording it is the regulations that get drawn up to implement the legislation that gives force to the intended law. I couldn't find any reference to possession either but under guidelines drawn up for enforcement of various laws the act of possession implies an intent to use.

The possession of housebreaking implements when circumstances dictate it is likely the person intends to use them to break and enter is a crime. Same as the contentious issue of sleeping in a car when drunk and the keys are in the vehicle. Being in possession of more than four rods and lines when it is likely they could be used implies an intent to use them.

It is up to the officer's judgement I guess, to decide if there is an intent to use what is in your possession. This topic has made me realise I am breaking this rule every time I am on my cruiser by myself as I have enough rods aboard for my family of 5 plus a couple of hand lines. We often have six or seven aboard and it's a nuisance to carry them back and forth.