Is this a Mako?

elite

roughly around 1.6 to 1.7m in length....

looked like a Mako - hooked just outside botany heads.

Fight lasted approx 5 mins, had many chances to gaff it but didnt know what to do with it so just played it until it bit me off. Top fight though!!!post-6537-076788800 1339650627_thumb.png

Question - Are Mako's any good on the plate?

roughly around 1.6 to 1.7m in length....

looked like a Mako - hooked just outside botany heads.

Fight lasted approx 5 mins, had many chances to gaff it but didnt know what to do with it so just played it until it bit me off. Top fight though!!!post-6537-076788800 1339650627_thumb.png

Question - Are Mako's any good on the plate?

Definitely a mako! Nice one too! What'd you get it on?

just a whole pilly.

we saw a shark circling the boat (maybe a few different ones) so threw out a pilly, 2 mins later.....bent rod and line peeling

the one hooked was much bigger than the ones spotted, so i guess there might have been a few

funny you asked....yeah it almost jumped into the boat when it got near! scared the sht out of me!! was ready to jump out of the boat!! hahaha

it then took off again and bit through line

yeh probably safer, if you do decide to keep one i will give you a tip. once you have a mako on board clear everything off the deck they just go snap snap snap snap snapping at everything, your feat, your gear, everything they wreak absolute havoc especially in small boats haha

gotta love the aerial disays though its good to have a few metres of thick mono as sometimes they land on the line and their skin can actually cut you off. well done on the capture anyway j do believe they are the fastest shark in the ocean and in the top three when it comes to fastest fish. perhaps not as quick as a sail but dont quote me on that one

gotta love the aerial disays though its good to have a few metres of thick mono as sometimes they land on the line and their skin can actually cut you off. well done on the capture anyway j do believe they are the fastest shark in the ocean and in the top three when it comes to fastest fish. perhaps not as quick as a sail but dont quote me on that one

Makos are fast, but they would seriously be left in the wake of a thresher!

Makos are fast, but they would seriously be left in the wake of a thresher!

Maybe so mate those threshers have got a lot of surface area to generate power in that tail but I'm still sticking with my original claim. Did a bit of research and the sailfish is the fastest fish that has been ever clocked, however it is believed that Makos can go faster than a sail but only in short bursts. Someone needs to clock a mako! haha Either way, there are plenty of speedsters in our oceans :) Don't fancy being a bait fish....