Hairtail- Help

rjc123

Hey raiders,

with all these hairtail reports lately, im going to have a crack at them. Having never fished for the before i don't really know what to do... Obviously the general spots are in Cowan around WB and Jerusalem. I've lined up a mates boat in the next few weeks. If anyone could provide me a few tips including:

- Rigs

- Baits

- Depths

Also if anyone could briefly explain how to prepeare the for the table (filleting)

Cheers, Tom

If you do a search under Hairtail on this site you should find an article on Hairtail fishing. All info on rigs, places to fish,scrubbing off the silver etc. but I do not think there is info about filleting.

I sometimes fillet and then other times cut in to steaks or both (smaller fish or tail end for steaks). I feel that filleting is better though.

I have found that the glow sticks work but not convinced on colours. Sometimes the greens outfish the reds and other times the reds outfish.

Also if you read the current fishing reports they provide good info.

Rigs are usually light wire (18lb) onto ganged hooks, 3/0s I have found better. You can also add a lumo bead. Using a whole pilchard throw out without weight

and let it sink. It will find them but if you hit bottom pull up and cast again.

You can also use live yakkas under a float at mid water.

Sometimes they are aggressive and other times they just suck or hold the bait. When they are being a bit timid you need to let them take the bait and give them some line, this can improve strike rates.

Up in QLD they catch them day or night with hardbody lures fishing for jacks, flathead etc. Last year I hooked one on a squid jig but couldn't boat it. I might try some lures this year.

If you do a search under Hairtail on this site you should find an article on Hairtail fishing. All info on rigs, places to fish,scrubbing off the silver etc. but I do not think there is info about filleting.

I sometimes fillet and then other times cut in to steaks or both (smaller fish or tail end for steaks). I feel that filleting is better though.

I have found that the glow sticks work but not convinced on colours. Sometimes the greens outfish the reds and other times the reds outfish.

Also if you read the current fishing reports they provide good info.

Rigs are usually light wire (18lb) onto ganged hooks, 3/0s I have found better. You can also add a lumo bead. Using a whole pilchard throw out without weight

and let it sink. It will find them but if you hit bottom pull up and cast again.

You can also use live yakkas under a float at mid water.

Sometimes they are aggressive and other times they just suck or hold the bait. When they are being a bit timid you need to let them take the bait and give them some line, this can improve strike rates.

Up in QLD they catch them day or night with hardbody lures fishing for jacks, flathead etc. Last year I hooked one on a squid jig but couldn't boat it. I might try some lures this year.

Button for articles is up top of forum :biggrin2: and thanks kyngfish for helping