Annual Jindabyne trip

Hi Raiders,

I went off on my annual fly fishing trip to Jindabyne from 31/5 to 3/6. My fly fishing guru,Pat, met me at the lodge, just outside of Jindabyne on the 31/5 and we fished the next 3-4 days in very cold and overcast conditions. There was even ice on some sections of the river.. There was plenty of trout sighted and I waved the wand many a times, but this year, I could not get the trout to take my lures.

Dejected, I left on Sunday 3/6 in light to medium rainfall. Pat decided to stay till Tuesday the 5th June. That was a good call as it turn out.

It was quite a day for Pat the next day,Monday 4th. He emailed me the result of his PB,bettering the 78cm of last year's by 7cm. Yes, 85cm of solid brown on fly on a wooly bugger.He was fishing solo and was lucky to land the fish as it went upstream first and then turned downstream towards Pat who promptly netted the monster. It tipped the scales just over 6kg. I'll let his pictures do the talking. Those familiar with the Thredbo river will recognize the spot where this fish was caught. Pat kept this fish as it was his PB.

post-2393-096390900 1339853836_thumb.jpg post-2393-032625300 1339853924_thumb.jpg

post-2393-023768300 1339854026_thumb.jpg

Regards Kit

ps Pat is a fishraider( but he seldoms signs on and has forgotten his user name)

Edited by cruisecraft

Hi Raiders,

I went off on my annual fly fishing trip to Jindabyne from 31/5 to 3/6. My fly fishing guru,Pat, met me at the lodge, just outside of Jindabyne on the 31/5 and we fished the next 3-4 days in very cold and overcast conditions. There was even ice on some sections of the river.. There was plenty of trout sighted and I waved the wand many a times, but this year, I could not get the trout to take my lures.

Dejected, I left on Sunday 3/6 in light to medium rainfall. Pat decided to stay till Tuesday the 5th June. That was a good call as it turn out.

It was quite a day for Pat the next day,Monday 4th. He emailed me the result of his PB,bettering the 78cm of last year's by 5cm. Yes, 85cm of solid brown on fly on a wooly bugger.He was fishing solo and was lucky to land the fish as it went upstream first and then turned downstream towards Pat who promptly netted the monster. It tipped the scales just over 6kg. I'll let his pictures do the talking. Those familiar with the Thredbo river will recognize the spot where this fish was caught. Pat kept this fish as it was his PB.

post-2393-096390900 1339853836_thumb.jpg post-2393-032625300 1339853924_thumb.jpg

Regards Kit

ps Pat is a fishraider( but he seldoms signs on and has forgotten his user name)

thats one gnarly looking brown mate, look at the bloody head on the thing lol.

top fish and from the river :1clap:

what a beast mate spewing you didnt stick around to witness that i bet.

Hi Raiders,

It was quite a day for Pat the next day,Monday 4th. He emailed me the result of his PB,bettering the 78cm of last year's by 5cm. Yes, 85cm of solid brown on fly on a wooly bugger.He was fishing solo and was lucky to land the fish as it went upstream first and then turned downstream towards Pat who promptly netted the monster. It tipped the scales just over 6kg. I'll let his pictures do the talking. Those familiar with the Thredbo river will recognize the spot where this fish was caught. Pat kept this fish as it was his PB.

Regards Kit

Great report Kit. Ask Pat to send his email and we can find his logon :thumbup:

Hi there Cruisecraft,

Very Nice fish that. I'm going to throw this out there and say that looks a lot like one of the brood stock salmon recently released from the hatchery. I have a photo of a 13lber caught in the same spot . It was identified by Fisheries as one of their brood stock released into the river. I believe that that fish will be on the cover of Fishing monthly. Be it Brown or Salmon its a great fish

Paul

On Strike

Hi there Cruisecraft,

Very Nice fish that. I'm going to throw this out there and say that looks a lot like one of the brood stock salmon recently released from the hatchery. I have a photo of a 13lber caught in the same spot . It was identified by Fisheries as one of their brood stock released into the river. I believe that that fish will be on the cover of Fishing monthly. Be it Brown or Salmon its a great fish

Paul

On Strike

i reckon its a brown for sure by looking at its tail, and the spots on the body come down pretty far too.

all the brood salmon fisheries release have theyre fins clipped too.

i maybe wrong though and have had trouble identifying them myself on the water.

interested to see others thoughts.

Edited by Hooked up

Hi there Cruisecraft,Very Nice fish that. I'm going to throw this out there and say that looks a lot like one of the brood stock salmon recently released from the hatchery. I have a photo of a 13lber caught in the same spot . It was identified by Fisheries as one of their brood stock released into the river. I believe that that fish will be on the cover of Fishing monthly. Be it Brown or Salmon its a great fishPaulOn Strike

Hi again,I will post a picture of the 13lber identified by the guys that let it go in the Freshwater chat section so as to not hijack this post.PaulOn Strike

Hi Paul(On Strike),

I think you could be right. Pat took his fish down to Steve Williamson's shop after the capture, and after they weighed and measured it, Steve called it a Salmon . Me and Pat called it a Brown initially but we are having doubts now.

Here's a picture of last year's 73cm and 78cm browns and one more of Pat's 85cm.

post-2393-092170500 1339915714_thumb.jpg post-2393-006219500 1339915750_thumb.jpg

Regards Kit

What a beast indeed!!! That's a sweet catch, and...Well...In awe mate lol!!!

I fished that spot myself with fellow Raider "Hooked up" about a month ago...We didn't catch, saw loads of fish though...Great capture!

Hi foolforjesus,

That spot "under the wires" is a top spot. We saw plenty of fish too but I think it was the overnight rain on the Sunday that turned the fish on. Good luck next year.

Regards Kit

Cheers Kit.

I myself would lean toward that being a big Brown...I've seen other big browns come out of Jindabyne (albeit photos) that were identified as browns, which look just like this fish.

Interesting though what Steve W said...After all, he's the man up those parts and would have seen heaps of big browns & salmon.

I agree with what Hooked up said though, regarding the salmon having their fins clipped...

Edited by foolforjesus

After reading some Google research on the differences between Brown Trout & Atlantic Salmon, the main difference I could see was that the upper lip in a Brown reaches back past the rear of the eye...Where in a Salmon, its sits roughly in line with the rear of the eye...

Its bloody confusing though...

Hi Guys

I'd like to think it was a monster Brown but it's head just looks too similar to other salmon I've seen caught before. I thought salmon were mean't to have more of a fork in the tail. Steve Williamson has a great big stuffed Salmon on the wall in his shop about 17lbs - I know it was not caught by anyone because whilst I was having a BBQ at the Gaden trout hatchery Sam Crocker the hatchery manager at the time was draining one of his brood stock ponds. He gave the fish to a bloke called Dougy, Sam said it was so old and going to die. Dougy took it to Williamsons shop weighed it in! and they mounted it???.

Catching a 6kg fish on a 6wt fly rod is an awsome experience, I have to say like all fishing, you have to have to have a fair amount of luck and a few tactics up your sleeve.

Warning - if you plan on going down to the Threadbo for a serious fish do not go anywhere near the Wild Brumby Schnappes Distillery. Many an afternoon fish was missed tasting all 17 flavours, also their Beer in the 500ml pot is a must. Usually about 3 before moving onto the schnappes. They have a top German lunch menue aswell.

Patrick

Hi Guys

I'd like to think it was a monster Brown but it's head just looks too similar to other salmon I've seen caught before. I thought salmon were mean't to have more of a fork in the tail. Steve Williamson has a great big stuffed Salmon on the wall in his shop about 17lbs - I know it was not caught by anyone because whilst I was having a BBQ at the Gaden trout hatchery Sam Crocker the hatchery manager at the time was draining one of his brood stock ponds. He gave the fish to a bloke called Dougy, Sam said it was so old and going to die. Dougy took it to Williamsons shop weighed it in! and they mounted it???.

Catching a 6kg fish on a 6wt fly rod is an awsome experience, I have to say like all fishing, you have to have to have a fair amount of luck and a few tactics up your sleeve.

Warning - if you plan on going down to the Threadbo for a serious fish do not go anywhere near the Wild Brumby Schnappes Distillery. Many an afternoon fish was missed tasting all 17 flavours, also their Beer in the 500ml pot is a must. Usually about 3 before moving onto the schnappes. They have a top German lunch menue aswell.

Patrick

Hi Pat,

Welcome back to Fishraider, and congrats again on a top capture. You've found your username(dragemout)finally. Yes, Wild Brumby was a fantastic place to "chill out" after the fishing. If you pm slinkymalinky, you can lay claim to both largest brown(78cm) and atlantic salmon(85cm) on fly records.

Regards Kit

Congratulations on a fantastic catch. We too go to that spot every year but unfortunately the last 2 years we have missed. Last year I was in hospital and this year we were waiting the birth of our first grandchild.

Your pictures and report have given me very itchy feet to get back down there next year.

Well done. :thumbup:

• 2 weeks later...