Raining Hairtails 16/06/12

Formosan

Was umming and ahhring about going because of the continous rain. Decided to brave the rain and went anyways. Hence the title :biggrin2: .

Arrived at appletree bay at 4.45pm and launched and onwards to waratah bay.There were a few boats around and light rain. Down goes a pillie and it got smashed , drag screaming off and 30 seconds later pulled hooks. Got a few more to the boat and upon lifting the line snapped or pulled hooks.

It was fustrating for a while with actions a plenty but no hairys boated. We continued on and finally securely hooked and land one, Number two appear soon after. My cousin hooked onto a soupie on prawns and I got a bream. other species werent firing so we concentrated on hairtails.

Whenever the action went quiet we would burley up and cube pillies . The yakkas came and big fish icons also appear on the sounder then sure enough hook ups followed.

Pics included.

post-7044-001613100 1339925411_thumb.jpg

post-7044-017125500 1339925421_thumb.jpg

Edited by Formosan

We had a crack on Sunday night, got hit once at 6.30pm but caught nothing. Anyone else at WB then? Beautiful clear night and the westerly dropped. Fished 4 pillies at various depths and burleyed. Had to leave 9pm. Let me guess, the action started at 9.45pm!

Nice work mate! Well done for braving the conditions and coming back with a good bag of hairies. Can't wait to have a crack at them myself!

Cheers, Tom

Thanks Tom. Go have a crack!

Awesome catch there Formosan. That's a great feed! Well done!

Thanks for your comments

Nice haul of hairies there formosan, did the fog come in?

Only fog I saw was halfway up the hill on the road. Water wasn't foggy.

Thanks for your tips on no sinkers. :thumbup:

Damn I'm jealous! Was going to go too!

They are still there. Go get them.

Great haul...how do you rate them on the chew?

Soft meat a few bones but generally people rate them and I find them pretty tasty.

Mate you sure learn quick on catching these beasts nice catch and jewfish as well..

How do they fight when hooked.

Mimyo gave me some tips.

They fight alright on light gear but easy to drop, Easy to get a bite by hard to land, they are not easily hooked in the mouth unless they swallow it further down. Their mouths are so hard.

Hey buddy , I should follow you . I missed it . Haha good job man ...

Nah I should follow you and find that 12kg jewie! :biggrin2:

Great catch there Formosan! I was going to go up myself, would have bumped into you. I'll try next Sunday. Are they still locking the gates?

J

Thanks.

Well done, what a great haul.

if only you could get them on fly!

Thanks. these fellows are no more than 5 metres deep.

Nice work

Heading out tonight let you know how I go

Ritchie

Yeh good luck mate..let us know how you go.

man... that's a lot of silver there. well done

cheers

erroll

Thanks..giving some away to relos.

Excellent report mate!!

Cheers

We had a crack on Sunday night, got hit once at 6.30pm but caught nothing. Anyone else at WB then? Beautiful clear night and the westerly dropped. Fished 4 pillies at various depths and burleyed. Had to leave 9pm. Let me guess, the action started at 9.45pm!

Bad luck mate.

I found they are never more than 5 metres as seen on the sounder.