Expected life of an iPod touch battery when charged

arpie

Hi guys

I bought an iPod touch and within 12 months, the battery wasn't really holding the charge for much longer than a day or two, whether being used or just on standby.

How long does your iPod touch battery last after being charged? I have extended warranty on it and it covers a faulty battery .... But I want to check first that it is within the norm or not before making a claim.

It is 18 months old now and I have just been leaving it on charge on the speaker Thingy that I have

Cheers

Roberta

It really depends on how often its used. Mine generally lasts 3 days when used a few times a day. If it continues to run out faster and faster then take it in for a service and see what they say.

Cheers, Tom

Thanks Tom. To be honest, I don't use it that much at all! It had totally discharged & unused for some months ..... so I charged it up on Sun & used it for 1hr on Sun night, then an hour Mon morning & Mon night & when I turned it on again this morning, it told me it was at 20% left. So I guess I got 24hr 'availability' of 3hrs use ... tho I DID use it again this morning for a while, til the battery went in to the red zone. It is now recharging again.

he, he, I didn't even realise it could be used for email/web until 6 months ago - but rarely take it with me anywhere as the charge seemed unreliable! That shows how tech-savvy I am!!074.gif

Maybe I am expecting too much of it? Does it run out faster if using the web compared to using it for music?

Cheers

Roberta

Thanks Tom. To be honest, I don't use it that much at all! It had totally discharged & unused for some months ..... so I charged it up on Sun & used it for 1hr on Sun night, then an hour Mon morning & Mon night & when I turned it on again this morning, it told me it was at 20% left. So I guess I got 24hr 'availability' of 3hrs use ... tho I DID use it again this morning for a while, til the battery went in to the red zone. It is now recharging again.

he, he, I didn't even realise it could be used for email/web until 6 months ago - but rarely take it with me anywhere as the charge seemed unreliable! That shows how tech-savvy I am!!074.gif

Maybe I am expecting too much of it? Does it run out faster if using the web compared to using it for music?

Cheers

Roberta

Yeah, ipods have been know to be unreliable.. My iphone which is only 5 months old is already playing up for no apparent reason.. I guess the point is that technology isn't as good as they make it out to be. To answer your other question, yes, the internet does tend to affect the battery a bit as opposed to music etc.. Games and applications also drain battery very quickly.

Good luck with it!

Cheers

Roberta

Yes they are mongrel things - the battery life on iphones and ipod etc is poor sometimes. Keep the OS updated for a start and here are some tips

TIPS HERE

Thanks for that Donna & Tom - I'll read the tips & see what is suggested. I will also turn off the wifi (as I just need to walk 4m to get to the computer, so being REALLY lazy using it!!wacko.gif) That may also extend the battery life more. I've also been advised to really run the battery right down a few times to give it a 'new memory' and not leave it in the dock once it is fully charged ........ which I will do.

cheerio

Roberta

Just done a few of the tips, so will see how it goes!! Including dimming the brightness a bit & turning off the wifi!

Edited by Roberta

Battery memory is an issue with older type batteries and doesnt apply anymore,fully discharging ur battery damages it,ideally ipod batteries should be kept above 40% charge.

Sent from my HTC Incredible S using Tapatalk 2

Charging it up fully then draining it to about 10% (not fully), re-charging and draining (10%) with no charing in the middle is the best way to keep the battery good on an iPod touch i've found, don't use it while charging or always leave it on charge as this is bad for the battery

Turn your brightness down, turn WIFI and bluetooth off when not being used, that saves alot of battery, oh and the biggest one is the app switcher, which is accessed by double clicking the home button, it pulls up a bar with apps in it (used for switching between apps when playing games/texting/music) make sure all apps not being used are clear from this ! it's using ram just sitting there and using your battery, i'm so surprised at how many people don't know about app switching.. to delete an app from the app switcher just hold down on it until the app wiggle and press the red x in the corner of the app(this doesn't delete the app off the iPod, just from the app switcher)

The iPod battery life isn't so bad, my galaxy s2 is lucky to get 3 hours of game play with full brightness !

Anyway