Facebook

MannY

Hi,

Wondering if there a fishraider group on facebook?

Cheers

Um no there is no need - we have the BIGGEST social network right here. What would you find on a facebook page that you don't have here? I would be interested in the answers. Swordie and I both have private fb pages and they become pretty boring after a while - what people suggest as "news feeds" are usually a waste of font :thumbup:

Seriously it is hard work moderating this website let alone a random fb page. There are many people that do not use facebook by their own choice and they would miss out.

Not fair to our advertisers either.

I would be interested in people's thoughts. Should we kill off this website and move to facebook perhaps :wacko:

I don't think killing off the website is a good idea at all!!

But opening a Facebook page would open the site up to a broader audience, alot of magazines have a website as well as a FB page would be a good idea but juggling both would be tough, upside though would open the site up so much and the spOnsors can be linked to the page so they would get slot more exposure as well,

I'm pretty sure the :wacko: was a form of sarcasm.

I guess it all depends on 3 things.

1. The Pros

2. The Cons

3. If FR is actually open to the idea

I see many pro's, you'll get a load of exposure and free Advertisement, which the sponsers would love. I.e. by using things such as "likes" or "comments" or posting pictures, friends of friends will see it etcetc - hence why Facebook got so large to begin with.

I don't see any cons. All you need is a moderator to respond to comments, and perhaps post pictures etc. It's not like you will need to maintain a server... it's all free.

I believe moving to facebook or opening a fecebook page would be a "BAD" move. Facebook has no controls. It would open to anybody for any reason. A lot of the useful information gained on this site would be lost as I believe a lot of the genuine posters from this site would not post to facebook.

I have a personal facebook page but a lot of the information I do not even bother to look at as it is a waste of time and space.

Just my thoughts.

I believe moving to facebook or opening a fecebook page would be a "BAD" move. Facebook has no controls.

FYI - it does have controls...

I'm not saying we should have a FB page, in fact it doesn't bother me one bit if we don't.

However people shooting down suggestions on things which they are unfamiliar about, is plain ignorant.

Edited by The Incredible Hull

But opening a Facebook page would open the site up to a broader audience, alot of magazines have a website as well as a FB page would be a good idea but juggling both would be tough, upside though would open the site up so much and the spOnsors can be linked to the page so they would get slot more exposure as well,

Yes most of the magazines and other businesses that have fb pages do not have a web presence. That is the difference with fishraider as it already has a very active and info rich web presence.

Businesses are using fb to get free advertising instead of paying for a decent website. A static url cant provide the social interaction that a forum or fb page can.

I can put a "like" feature on here too but I don't want our database to be full of "likes" and no info or humanistic responses. I am sure that members are able to get much more info from the forum instead of a fb page. The functionality on the forum is leaps and bounds better than a fb page.

You are right in saying that it would be a pain in the @@#$% to maintain a fb page :wacko:

I believe moving to facebook or opening a fecebook page would be a "BAD" move. Facebook has no controls. It would open to anybody for any reason. A lot of the useful information gained on this site would be lost as I believe a lot of the genuine posters from this site would not post to facebook.

I have a personal facebook page but a lot of the information I do not even bother to look at as it is a waste of time and space.

Just my thoughts.

You are right the controls on fb are pretty useless compared to the controls admin have here in the forum :thumbup:

fb is not a place to store information or resources - it has very limited content management controls. It would be full of links back to the forum !!! Keep it for personal use only in fishraider's opinion

I personally don't think a Facebook page would be a suitable option for Fishraiders.

I use both FR and FB on a daily basis and I believe there are 'horses for courses' and each site have their uses.

I have been trying to think of a reason for Raiders to have a FB page and I really can't think of any.

This site has been operation for (I think) about 6 years and its survival and growth has proved itself to be a very strong organised, well balanced and informative site.

I personally don't think a Facebook page would be a suitable option for Fishraiders.

I use both FR and FB on a daily basis and I believe there are 'horses for courses' and each site have their uses.

I have been trying to think of a reason for Raiders to have a FB page and I really can't think of any.

This site has been operation for (I think) about 6 years and its survival and growth has proved itself to be a very strong organised, well balanced and informative site.

Thanks Lyn and coming up to 8yrs on the 31 july :yahoo: I have a FACEBOOK page but it doesnt get a lot of traffic either.

Its just to stay in touch with a few close friends like yourself :biggrin2:

Regards Swordy

Thanks Lyn and coming up to 8yrs on the 31 july :yahoo: I have a FACEBOOK page but it doesnt get a lot of traffic either.

Its just to stay in touch with a few close friends like yourself :biggrin2:

Regards Swordy

Dear Administrators, please do not kill this website. :ranting2: It is far more informative than bloody fb and you are correct that's it's not fair to the sponsors who have been very supportive. :thumbup:

nothing wrong with facebook pages if admind properly, the ranters against it are probably just a little misinformed

pro - i cannot view fishraider from work due to the profanity filter, but facebook is allowed

pro - i guarantee you would get more searches for fishing information on facebook then through google.

my company just spent a lot of time researching and implementing a facebook page and our web page hits have gone through the roof as a consequence up 35%

cons - plenty if your a sky is falling type of person, but not enough to ignore it as a communication tool

pro - i cannot view fishraider from work due to the profanity filter, but facebook is allowed

That has made my day Juggs, so this site fits in the profanity filter at your work but facebook doesn't? There's more crap on facebook :074:

Maybe your IT is a little "misinformed" and maybe i'm "ranting" :thumbup:

it is pretty funny as some of you think it is either/or situation

facebook is used for completely different reasons to a discussion forum...

facebook helps people interconnect & a discussion forum is for discussing ideas concepts and occurrences...

this is basically the 'mission statement' of fishraider:

Welcome to Fishraider, your online source of Australian fishing reports and boating forums for NSW and the East Coast of Australia.

• Fishing reports updated daily from many salt and freshwater locations.
  • Fishing Articles and tips on all aspects of our great sport.
  • Boating forum with up to date information on all makes of motors and boats.
  • Social events for members and their guests.
  • Live Chat for members to contact other members on line.
  • Cooking and recipe section.
  • Fishraider caters for everyone, from the beginner to the more experienced fishos and ladies and youngsters are welcome to our family friendly site.

I personally think fishraider should stick to the above, and let its users 'cross-post' stuff to their own facebook pages...

as it is really only *facebookers* that will think this is useful!

this, for comparison, is the facebook mission:

Facebook's mission is to give people the power to share and make the world more open and connected.

I think fishraider already does that, but only to fishy people!!!

Edited by user1829

That has made my day Juggs, so this site fits in the profanity filter at your work but facebook doesn't? There's more crap on facebook :074:

Maybe your IT is a little "misinformed" and maybe i'm "ranting" :thumbup:

maybe the boss just knows i like fishing :)

nah few words get caught up in it there server they manage the risk

facebook is allowed as my marketing lady has to use it, and the other staff are trained to use it to promote the company

instead of paying through the nose to keep the website at the forefront of search results, a few targeted posts on facebook can really help with getting traffic to the site

maybe the boss just knows i like fishing :)

nah few words get caught up in it there server they manage the risk

facebook is allowed as my marketing lady has to use it, and the other staff are trained to use it to promote the company

instead of paying through the nose to keep the website at the forefront of search results, a few targeted posts on facebook can really help with getting traffic to the site

Fishraider has a lot of words that are blocked because of profanity.

Your Boss needs to look at our Site and see how many profane words he can find then look at FACEBOOK...Hmmmmmmm I think the filters on FACEBOOK need overhauling :biggrin2:

Admin has a huge job regulating this Site let alone having to try and keep every single person on FACEBOOK in line....FISHRAIDER is here for us to enjoy and it does have a specific them where FACEBOOK does not.

Admin

nothing wrong with facebook pages if admind properly, the ranters against it are probably just a little misinformed

pro - i guarantee you would get more searches for fishing information on facebook then through google.

my company just spent a lot of time researching and implementing a facebook page and our web page hits have gone through the roof as a consequence up 35%

cons - plenty if your a sky is falling type of person, but not enough to ignore it as a communication tool

some people just don't like facebook juggs, that does not mean they are misinformed

um you should be working, my staff are not allowed to use it :biggrin2:

pro - i guarantee you would get more searches for fishing information on facebook then through google

I have stats to prove you wrong with that one, what sort of "fishing information" is stored on a fb page? how would you measure the amount of searches on fb ??

nice for your company and I believe it is a great tool for some businesses, fishraider is very active and has a very steadily growing membership base we don't have to go out and seek webpage hits. The database is massive and a search on google will always point to fishraider.

and that is just it - fb is only a communication tool, its not a storage area for information

it is pretty funny as some of you think it is either/or situation

facebook is used for completely different reasons to a discussion forum...

facebook helps people interconnect & a discussion forum is for discussing ideas concepts and occurrences...

this is basically the 'mission statement' of fishraider:

I personally think fishraider should stick to the above, and let its users 'cross-post' stuff to their own facebook pages...

as it is really only *facebookers* that will think this is useful!

this, for comparison, is the facebook mission:

I think fishraider already does that, but only to fishy people!!!

very well said - I "like" that explanation :thumbup:

just a conversation here im not denigrating fishraider or even pushing for FB for fishraider

i was just trying to put a voice forward that FB is not the antichrist

we had google out a few weeks back for a pay per click campaign

we confronted the rep on the fact we could see over 50% of the links to our site were comming from FB and google was second, after that it was a few % from random search engines

she confirmed that FB was becoming a major search tool

when you search in FB it looks through its pages and if nothing is there it searches the www and will display links

you can set up a fishraider page that allows no content to be posted and all it does is directs to here

a information page so to speak and you gain the benefit of free exposure

on fb i have a group of 30 odd small boat owners, when one of us is going out we throw it on there and see if anyone wants tag along

good for inshore stuff when we want a buddy boat for safety reasons

so it has it uses apart from that i just post photos of the kids for mum overseas to look at