DY Wide Sunday

saltrix

Launched at dawn from Tunks in my mates boat.

Bit of a westerly blowing and no action trolling Grotto Point or North Head so headed out to DY Wide.

Lots of whales spotted and had to idle the boat for few minutes when a pair surfaced about 100m away. Here is a repeat photo I took last year of one that came out of the water and looked me in the eye. No pictures today as I forgot my camera.

post-3961-028564500 1340578117_thumb.jpg

There are many dead cuttles in the water, as the Giant Cuttle dies after laying eggs around this time and the Albatross gather in flocks to scavenge the bodies. If you can get there before they clean it right up you can whip off of a bit of fresh bait. This is the only time of the year when you see such large numbers of Albatross off Sydney.

The fishing was a bit slow but with the help of the sea anchor and some heavy sinkers we managed some nice morwong and flathead. This was my share.

post-3961-025223200 1340579015_thumb.jpg

Great report......we were off Palm Beach at the same time. It was very cold with strong westerly that dropped late morning. Just a few small tailor. Saw those birds smashing the surface from a freat height. Think they are gannets......very spectacular.

post-22429-096742700 1340582725_thumb.jpg

Great report......we were off Palm Beach at the same time. It was very cold with strong westerly that dropped late morning. Just a few small tailor. Saw those birds smashing the surface from a freat height. Think they are gannets......very spectacular.

Great shot of the gannet, you must have been quick to get it as they are pretty fast on the dive.

Where abouts off palmy were you. I went out of pitty And was hanging round Newport for a bit on for some

Wrase and albatross then headed back around palmy tried to sound out the reef and wreck but no luck. Found it once and had great success but carnt find it now :( also have a pic of an albatross taking off will upload tonight

Edited by WINDRED