fishing license

nosquid

Hi Raiders, I know this is a sensitive subject but was wondering if anyone has some insight as to the actual rules and regulations on a fishing License when it comes to not having one in your possession and whether or not one can be transferred to another fisher.

Recently I had gone down to the water’s edge to meet up with some friends who were fishing. They had been successful and while they were cleaning up, low and behold the NSW fisheries came by. Now the catch was inspected and all fell over the required reg size limit, so no problems there and then licensees were inspected.

Ok, so this is where it gets interesting…. Of the 3 fishermen, 2 had their license and 1 didn’t as we can all make that fatal mistake by leaving it at home. If I am a visitor and not fishing, can I pass on my valid fishing license to the other fisherman? I do not want to break the law here but since knowing that my one friend purely forgot his at home he copped a $75 fine, no warning or anything else, they can see that all the guys were well informed and that they had really specific fishing equipment and cared for their passion . There are a lot more other people out there keeping illegal sized fish so why do they not target those people instead.

kind Regards

Squid_jig

Is this more of a rant, cause you're opening up a can of old worms with the whole "people taking undersized fish"

Same can be said about people who "speed in their cars" or "run red lights" etc, its their choice, get over it.

Have your license with you, just like your driving licence, no excuses.

And no thats silly to hand over your licence to a mate to save a few bucks, then you'll be an accomplice, and will be charged more.

Hi Raiders, I know this is a sensitive subject but was wondering if anyone has some insight as to the actual rules and regulations on a fishing License when it comes to not having one in your possession and whether or not one can be transferred to another fisher.

not transferable & must carry 'on person'

Recently I had gone down to the water’s edge to meet up with some friends who were fishing. They had been successful and while they were cleaning up, low and behold the NSW fisheries came by. Now the catch was inspected and all fell over the required reg size limit, so no problems there and then licensees were inspected.

Ok, so this is where it gets interesting…. Of the 3 fishermen, 2 had their license and 1 didn’t as we can all make that fatal mistake by leaving it at home. If I am a visitor and not fishing, can I pass on my valid fishing license to the other fisherman?

can you transfer your drivers licence???

i didn' think so...

I do not want to break the law here but since knowing that my one friend purely forgot his at home he copped a $75 fine, no warning or anything else,

yeah, might be a bit harsh, but same with drivers licence - no warning...

they can see that all the guys were well informed and that they had really specific fishing equipment and cared for their passion . There are a lot more other people out there keeping illegal sized fish so why do they not target those people instead.

kind Regards

Squid_jig

if you know of people keeping illegal fish, you should report them...

rules are rules you break them you get fined. you get fined for not having your licence

on you while driving car, boat. why do you think it would be any different with fishing.

if you have a licence you have to (know) the rules. these days with the amount of info available

there is no excuse not to know them. your mate won't forget his licence again, its just sucks for him that it was a $75 lesson.

When fishing in NSW waters, both freshwater and saltwater, you are required by law to pay the NSW Recreational Fishing Fee and carry a receipt showing the payment of the fee. This applies when spear fishing, hand lining, hand gathering, trapping, bait collecting and prawn netting or when in possession of fishing gear in, on or adjacent to waters.

Licenses cannot be shared, one licence means for 1 person, they are licenced and valid for the name of the person on the receipt only.

Refer to NSW DPI website for further information.

As others have said, to bad he got done but rules are rules and are there to be followed, no excuses.

<br /><b><br />

<br />

</b>Licenses cannot be shared, one licence means for 1 person, they are licenced and valid for the name of the person on the receipt only.<br />

<br />

Refer to NSW DPI website for further information.<br />

<br />

As others have said, to bad he got done but rules are rules and are there to be followed, no excuses.<b><br />

</b><br />

<br /><br /><br />

+1

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Tapatalk 2

Guest Aussie007

ok, Thanks all for the comments and responses.

With that said if one is teaching others to fish but not actively fishing, do both people have to have a license?

cheers

lol just buy the license mate dont try to worm your way out of it unfortunately the good old days of going fishing on the cheap are far gone

I have a 3 year license and just asking the questions so don't take this the wrong way. Anyway Just asked the questions also as to how this impact one when teaching others. hence one needs to make sure that when teaching people the ropes, that they too have a licence.

regards.

With that said if one is teaching others to fish but not actively fishing, do both people have to have a license?

cheers

yes, you can teach another person and not hold a licence, but only applies to person teaching another person who is under 18, and limit is 1 rod/net per teacher...

EDIT: if you are both over 18 - both need a licence if both are using a fishing line...

Edited by user1829

Guest Aussie007

your analogy doesn't really work, as you don't need a licence to teach a kid to fish...

well than u pay hes fine

u could have taken the hit for your mate and say you were fishing instead of the guy that wasn't since you had your license on you. he could have been the mate that 'just popped by' to see what's happening.

tell him to make a photocopy of his license to keep in his tackle box. may or may not satisfy fisheries but beats saying you left it at home / in the car

Guest Aussie007

whose fine?

the tread starter when he cops a fine for teaching others how to fish he will actually need to cast a line to show them so technically hes fishing

u could have taken the hit for your mate and say you were fishing instead of the guy that wasn't since you had your license on you. he could have been the mate that 'just popped by' to see what's happening.

tell him to make a photocopy of his license to keep in his tackle box. may or may not satisfy fisheries but beats saying you left it at home / in the car

A photocopy is no good, you either need the receipt of purchase or the actual license. I got stung several years ago at Clifton Garden when I sometimes fished from land. I'd left my tackle box in the boat, and take 1 rod with a squid jig rigged up. However I was lucky and given a warning, & told next time I would be fined if caught without either 'proof' of the receipt of purchase or the license itself to quote the Fisheries Officer.

I was bloody lucky, as at the time requiring a fishing license had only been in effect a couple of months, I think they were looking to educate people on this at the point time, not penalise them. Lucky for me!

Dan

Edited by Dan and Greg

cheers

If you're teaching a child (one that doesn't need a licence) then you can assist the child without a licence (according to the fisheries people). eg you could cast the line out for the child or help him/her retrieve a line/fish.

the tread starter when he cops a fine for teaching others how to fish he will actually need to cast a line to show them so technically hes fishing

gazza - this information is taken from the NSW DPI 2012 Saltwater Fishing Guide:

When do I need to pay?

When you are fishing in NSW waters, both fresh and saltwater, you are required by law to carry a receipt showing the payment of the NSW Recreational Fishing Fee. This applies when line fishing (rod or hand line); spear fishing; bait collecting or when collecting

invertebrates using methods such as hand gathering, digging, pumping, trapping and prawn netting.

Exemptions:

• Persons under the age of 18.
  • An adult assisting persons under the ageof 18 to take fish using a single rod per child or to take prawns using a single dip orscoop net per child.
  • A person fishing in a private dam with a surface area of two hectares or less.
  • An Aboriginal person.

this guide is available from here if you want a refresher: http://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/fisheries/recreational/publications/fishing-guides2/guide

Edited by user1829

Guest Aussie007

gazza - this information is taken from the NSW DPI 2012 Saltwater Fishing Guide:

When do I need to pay?

When you are fishing in NSW waters, both fresh and saltwater, you are required by law to carry a receipt showing the payment of the NSW Recreational Fishing Fee. This applies when line fishing (rod or hand line); spear fishing; bait collecting or when collecting

invertebrates using methods such as hand gathering, digging, pumping, trapping and prawn netting.

Exemptions:

• Persons under the age of 18.
  • An adult assisting persons under the ageof 18 to take fish using a single rod per child or to take prawns using a single dip orscoop net per child.
  • A person fishing in a private dam with a surface area of two hectares or less.
  • An Aboriginal person.

this guide is available from here if you want a refresher: http://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/fisheries/recreational/publications/fishing-guides2/guide

the original thread starter never stated he was teaching children to fish

the original thread starter never stated he was teaching children to fish

Id rather just pay the $ 36 and be covered for twelve months.

I keep mine in a pouch on my tackle box that way I know its always where I am

No tackle box = no fishing therefore if the licence in in the tackle box I am sure I wont forget it.

I would report those keeping undersized fish though doing so would probably wipe out 90% of the people fishing from Windang on a typical weekend.