Sussex Inlet Bream Classic

DeanFish

Hi Guys,

I’m heading down to the Sussex Inlet Bream Classic for what will be my first attempt fishing in a Bream tournament

The comp takes place this weekend between 7.00am and 2.00pm on both Saturday and Sunday.

I think i have all depths covered (please let me know if you have any suggestions) from a tackle point of view, i will be fishing with 4lb and 6lb line and have the following lures in the tacklebox

Hard body options

1. Ecogear blades vx35's

2. Asakura Hornet's

3. Jackal Chubby (Deep)

4. Ecogear sx40’s

Soft plastics options

1. Powerbait 3" Minnow (Pearl Watermelon)

2. Gulp 4" Sand-worm (Banana Prawn)

3. Squidgy 100mm Wriggler (Bloodworm)

4. 1/8oz, 1/12, 1/16 jig head options

I have never been to the area and was hoping to get any advice possible on location tips, technique etc.

In regards to tide and wind the following is what is happening

Low tide on Saturday is at 10.28am (wind 16 knots)

Low tide on Sunday is at 11.24am (wind 18 knots)

A map of the area can be located here http://www.maritime.nsw.gov.au/docs/maps/sussexi_back.pdf

Cheers

I have fished this a few times and it is a great tournament unfortunately it falls on the same weekend as the netball state age titles which puts me out of fishing it again

Forget the HBs unless the wind comes up to about 15knts(the shallow flats wont work until late in the session when the weed has had some sun on it and theres a bit of wind) and try and fish the deep edges and flats 15ft-30ft

Get some 100mm wasabi wrigglers 75mm java lobbies and 2in gulp shrimp peppered prawn also VX40s or 35mm strikepro blades(the brown one with blue spots)

Good luck the locals are pretty hard to beat

Also fish the bays that the wind is blowing into and fish slow with a lot of deadsticking

Edited by The Iceman

How did you go deanfish..... I heard biggest Bream went 1.700 KGs that’s a monster!!!! and his bag was a total weight of 4.500. Thant’s a great haul!!

What was your thoughts fishing in the tornament? good /Bad....... when my boat is finished I plan on entering in it as well, would you go in it again?

Cheers.

Hi Battler,

I thoroughly enjoyed the experience. Fishing was very tough over the two days.The highlight for me was seeing another competitor pull a 7.8kg 95cm tailor out of 3.5m of water using a blade.

The 1.7kg bream was impressive to say the least and there were some impressive 5 fish bags over the two days of approx 4 - 4.5kg.

Knowledge and experience is deffinately required to figure in the final standings in such an event however you have to start somewhere.

I would deffinately suggest giving it a crack!

Hi Battler,

I thoroughly enjoyed the experience. Fishing was very tough over the two days.The highlight for me was seeing another competitor pull a 7.8kg 95cm tailor out of 3.5m of water using a blade.

The 1.7kg bream was impressive to say the least and there were some impressive 5 fish bags over the two days of approx 4 - 4.5kg.

Knowledge and experience is deffinately required to figure in the final standings in such an event however you have to start somewhere.

I would deffinately suggest giving it a crack!

Thanks for your reply mate, I can’t wait to start entering in some of these tournaments!! I will definitely be there next year!!

Iceman, I’m hoping my boat is finished by then.... still got to lay the deck and carpet run the electrics, fit the motor, some trailer work and a few minor things.

There is a good chance it will be finished before the tournament.... Fingers crossed its finished weeks before so I can iron out any cob webs if any.

Here she is at this point in time:thumbup:

post-18600-060435100 1341281468_thumb.jpg

You boat is looking great battler. I just finished a similar project with my brother in law. You can check out the results here

there are 5 videos covering different parts to the boat restoration.

When you finish your boat send trailer boat magazine some pics as they run a DIY section every month. My boat was in the June edition.