Toolbox into a battery box.

hobbitt

Just traded in the ol girl (Stacer 395) in on a 385 Quinnie with a Yammy 15.

The motor is pull start, but has nav lights and a fish finder. The electrics are tucked up under the gunnels, and come out at the rear of the back bench seat.

I went to a large retail shop, and found a black powder coated, tin style tool box for $15. I also bought a battery for $66. The battery I bought fits inside the box like a hand in a glove.

My intention is to use a metal hole saw, and cut a hole in the side of the box enabling me to feed the + and - cables into the box, and attach them to the battery terminals once inside the box. I may also put a division in the box (like in a tackle box) securing the battery in its own section, giving me another section to put other stuff like tools, containers etc.

So Raiders, What do you think of my battery box idea?

Have you got any suggestions on this, could this be done differently, or should I just go for it?

What do you think?

Looking forward to any feedback, Thanks Raiders.

Your post suggests that the battery will need to be externally charged after each trip

That's OK but check with Yamaha , that motor may have a charging circuit that can be connected to the battery so it can be charged from the motor.

At $15 the metal box is most likely mild steel which will rust over a period of time. To reduce the rusting process & avoid stains on the boat fit a strip of timber , about 1/2" wide to each end of the base so it's the wood , not the metal base coming in contact with the boat.

Geoff

Make sure the battery is securely mounted in there and the posts and all connections are completely insulated from the tin box, also that the wires have no chance of chafing on the box and shorting out. I would be sticking with a plastic box, no chance of shorting out.

Tin box, with battery, plus salt water environment.... so what is going to get eaten away first by electrolytic corrosion.... the tin box or the aluminum hull its touching. I think you're going to have all kinds of problems and I strongly recommend getting a plastic battery box. So much safer and no corrosion.

If the Battery is not a sealed unit, It needs to breathe. A plastic purpose made battery box is designed to breathe, has clearance for cables to be run in and out of them. You should be able to pick one up for $20 or so. Save the tool box for your tools. The battery boxs also have provisions to screw or bolt the box into the false floor to hold it in place.

Just traded in the ol girl (Stacer 395) in on a 385 Quinnie with a Yammy 15.

The motor is pull start, but has nav lights and a fish finder. The electrics are tucked up under the gunnels, and come out at the rear of the back bench seat.

I went to a large retail shop, and found a black powder coated, tin style tool box for $15. I also bought a battery for $66. The battery I bought fits inside the box like a hand in a glove.

My intention is to use a metal hole saw, and cut a hole in the side of the box enabling me to feed the + and - cables into the box, and attach them to the battery terminals once inside the box. I may also put a division in the box (like in a tackle box) securing the battery in its own section, giving me another section to put other stuff like tools, containers etc.

So Raiders, What do you think of my battery box idea?

Have you got any suggestions on this, could this be done differently, or should I just go for it?

What do you think?

Looking forward to any feedback, Thanks Raiders.

Yeah, guess I didn't take into consideration all of the identified negative points associated with a metal box, a rethink may be order hhmmmm, plastic tub ???

Thanks Raiders, I really do appreciate your input.

Regards Rod.

Here is a picture of a battery box if you are unsure as to what they look like.

product1809_0_100909002253.jpg

The website i got this image from retails them for $20. You can spend a little more and buy units fitted with a main switch to isolate the battery, Voltage meters, Built in chargers, switches to control nav lights, fish finders etc.

Edited by Cheap Charlie

Here is a picture of a battery box if you are unsure as to what they look like.

product1809_0_100909002253.jpg

The website i got this image from retails them for $20. You can spend a little more and buy units fitted with a main switch to isolate the battery, Voltage meters, Built in chargers, switches to control nav lights, fish finders etc.

thumbup.gif............ Thinking, that's the go. Thanks heaps for steering me in the right direction.