beecroft ledge

trentarena89

Hey all.

I got down to currarong yesterday anf had a quick sesh on beecroft and ended up throwing a live bonnie out anf hooked a 6ft mako shark...needless to say snapped me off as i wasnt planned on hooking one. But it was amazing to see it just charge for my bait and leap out of the water to thrash about.

Went out today to hopefully hit up some nice fish. Started early around 6am waited a bit for the sun to fully shine some light and tried to catch some livies... must of waited too long as I only nabbed one. We ended up getting slot of bonnies around 35-50 cm so I decided to throw a live one out under a balloon. After waiting about an hour he was out around the 50-70 metre mark and I decide to go grab a drink from my pack next thing I know my shimano 8000 is screaming and I lost around 200 metres of line when the fish finished it's first run. Managed to get some line back and the fight began. As after about 15 minutes I had worked it down to only around 100 metres left when it went for one huge run and my fg knot failed...needless to say I wasn't to most friendly person after that little encounter. Not sure what it was? Maybe a hoodie? Didn't fight just headed out like a submarine. When I was dragging it in it wasn't fighting at all it would just let me bring it in....to be honest I think it was playing me..haha.

After few quiet hours of no bites I ended up nailing a massive bonnie. Don't have the exact size but would have easily hit 65-70 cm. New pb which is good. Was hoping to head back tomorrow for a another crack but I sprained my ankle on the walk out. :ranting2:

All in all good trip resting my ankle now hoping it recovers for the rest of the week.post-99-077935100 1340784926_thumb.jpg

Nice bonnie mate. Couldn't tell you what ate the bonnie. My money is on another shark. I think a big king would have got you in the reef. But a tuna or a marlin could have taken it.

Thanks mate. Well I think I found my motivation to get back out there haha.

Thats a nice one mate...

Wondering what was on your line...

Where abouts is beecroft ledge?

Thanks mate. I was using hanged pillies. They werent responding to spinning which was weird for bonnies.

It's down in currarong. Northern Jervis Bay.

If you up your leader to a very heavy mono or fluro carbon to 150lb and use big circle hooks you'll have a better chance of not getting biten off if another mako turns up.

Do you have any heavier gear? An 8000 sized reel it going to struggle to stop most things that are going to eat a live bonnie. We use TLDs with 24kg mono and big stella's with 37kg braid for live baiting bonnies and I've been blown away by some great fish.

But what ever you use keep fishing mate your using the right bait for some really cracking fish.

hey mate, shame about the fg knot failing, whatever it was it must have been massive!

I have been thinking of changing to this knot, my current knot is very strong but it's annoying how it always gets caught up in the guides.

But now that I've read your post I am not so sure about switching, would you mind answering what part of the knot failed? how heavy is the braid/leader you were using?

thanks

If you up your leader to a very heavy mono or fluro carbon to 150lb and use big circle hooks you'll have a better chance of not getting biten off if another mako turns up.

Do you have any heavier gear? An 8000 sized reel it going to struggle to stop most things that are going to eat a live bonnie. We use TLDs with 24kg mono and big stella's with 37kg braid for live baiting bonnies and I've been blown away by some great fish.

But what ever you use keep fishing mate your using the right bait for some really cracking fish.

Unfortunately not yet I am looking at a TLD 30 2Speed but seeing as I'm land based and rarely get huge fish where I live it doesn't Warrent the cost just yet. I was using 60lb fluro on a 80lb wire trace. To be honest I wasn't expecting anything like that to come along. The 8000 Did struggle a bit but my lack of experience with big fish also played a huge factor.

Thanks mate.

hey mate, shame about the fg knot failing, whatever it was it must have been massive!

I have been thinking of changing to this knot, my current knot is very strong but it's annoying how it always gets caught up in the guides.

But now that I've read your post I am not so sure about switching, would you mind answering what part of the knot failed? how heavy is the braid/leader you were using?

thanks

Sure was mate. The knot itself is great but I was only using 30lb braid doubled with 60lb lead. I think the reason it failed was due to the fish changed from being happily dragged in to deciding it wanted a run before I could adjust my drag

and it just couldn't handle it. I've tried adding a few more twists to the beginning of the knot to see how it fairs.

Bit of an off topic but how is the beach in currarong for fishing?

Fishing off the stone I always like having a TLD even for live baiting yakkas. Especially fishing a spot like beacroft some seriously mega kings turn up around there a mate got a 30kg one a few years ago (chasing marlin).

Quintrex I always use the fg knot down to 15lb and once you get it down it very rarely fails its also one of the strongest knots you can tie.

Damn, bad luck mate, could be 20-30kg kingie !!!!

I don't have any problem with FG knot :) The more you pull FG knot, the stronger the knot is. I always pull tight at each 10 turns to make sure knot is strong and remember to lubricate the knot before tighten as well. Normally braid colour will change when I pull at last.

Trent just wondering when you say 30 doubled are you tying a double in your main line before the fg knot?

Yeah I am...I'm not really too familiar with hooking large fish from the rocks so I thought the double might help? Or am I completely wrong haha.

The largest fish I have ever caught from rocks had been just over one and a half Kgn so I'm a bit out of my league. But it's all good fun and good learning.

Damn, bad luck mate, could be 20-30kg kingie !!!!

I don't have any problem with FG knot :) The more you pull FG knot, the stronger the knot is. I always pull tight at each 10 turns to make sure knot is strong and remember to lubricate the knot before tighten as well. Normally braid colour will change when I pull at last.

Yeah I love this knot I just think I messed it up. Although that said it could have been my braid that snapped.

Going to try the tubes tomorrow when it opens. Bit of a bought current out at beecroft at the moment very strong northerly.

Mate your not completely wrong. I use to do the same but after some reading and a lot of knot testing I found that its better with out the double. In saying that most knots are improved with a double so you were on the right track.

Rock fishing is great fun and can produce some great fish and so serious heart ache when the big ones blow you away.

You are definitely on track for a fish of a life time putting out baits like live bonito but I reckon you look into getting some heavier gear to put you in with a better chance but in the mean time keep doing it.

Good luck tomorrow.

Mate your not completely wrong. I use to do the same but after some reading and a lot of knot testing I found that its better with out the double. In saying that most knots are improved with a double so you were on the right track.

Rock fishing is great fun and can produce some great fish and so serious heart ache when the big ones blow you away.

You are definitely on track for a fish of a life time putting out baits like live bonito but I reckon you look into getting some heavier gear to put you in with a better chance but in the mean time keep doing it.

Good luck tomorrow.

Oh OK Thanks for that mate. Yeah I'm looking a tld 30 2speed in the next few months with 24kg ugly stick then I'll have another crack down here

Yer that will do the job. A longer rod is handy but not always needed. Where about do you usually fish?

I usually fish coalcliff rocks or wattamolla. Unfortunately I have to stick to places that usually have a few people at them because I only really get to go alone so it's safer.

Going to try the tubes tomorrow when it opens. Bit of a bought current out at beecroft at the moment very strong northerly.

Interested to hear how you get on. If you get a chance, could you snap a couple of pics of the ledge? I have read a few reports on the ledge but have never seen any pictures. Good luck

Interested to hear how you get on. If you get a chance, could you snap a couple of pics of the ledge? I have read a few reports on the ledge but have never seen any pictures. Good luck

Of beecroft ledge or the tubes? No worries either way I'll grab some and send them in a pm for you.

Don't normally post on this forum but can probably help with the ID of the unknown fish on the bonnie. My bet, based on the way you describe the fight, bait used, and location is on a seal. We've been down at the JB ledges every weekend lately and there are a fair few pesky seals around stealing livies. Had to literally share a ledge with one a few weeks back as he was up on it sunbaking! They run like mad but when you pull them in are heavy dead weights, till you realise it's a seal and cut them off.

In fact the only thing that's hit baits for us in the past few weeks other than bonnies has been seals. Last king we got around there was over a month ago, and it hasn't been for lack of trying. Could have also been a shark though as they fight as you described.

Don't normally post on this forum but can probably help with the ID of the unknown fish on the bonnie. My bet, based on the way you describe the fight, bait used, and location is on a seal. We've been down at the JB ledges every weekend lately and there are a fair few pesky seals around stealing livies. Had to literally share a ledge with one a few weeks back as he was up on it sunbaking! They run like mad but when you pull them in are heavy dead weights, till you realise it's a seal and cut them off.

In fact the only thing that's hit baits for us in the past few weeks other than bonnies has been seals. Last king we got around there was over a month ago, and it hasn't been for lack of trying. Could have also been a shark though as they fight as you described.

You could be right mate. We hit up beecroft yesterday and tubes today and it was very quiet, there were two seals doing to rounds at both places. Hitting up beecroft tomorrow morning for one last Ditchh effort at some thing worthwhile