Kingfish- How to prepare/cook

rjc123

Hi raiders,

having never cooked with kingfish before i'm a little stuck on what to do. From what i've read you can smoke them, BBQ them, have them whole and sashimi. Whole sounds good as its only a small one (67cm) but next best would be a recipe that goes well with fillets. Can anyone offer some advice?

Cheers, Tom

Knock off the fillets.

Some as sashimi to start and the rest pan fry. Salt, pepper, lemon juice and Italian herbs is all that is needed.

That's my favourite for the kingies!

Thanks mate! Might give it a go. Can you do them up whole though?

cut some fillets off, put them into a sandwhich bag.

add one big table spoon of minced garlic, one big table spoon of butter or margerine. And then add 2 or 3 table spoons of olive oil or soy sauce. or both.

take all the air out, mix it all coating the fish.

leave in there for 20min - 3 hours. what ever you want.

cook it up with some pepper as you go.

Kingfish in garlic butter.

At 67cm they are the best sashimi you can get ! So that's a good start.

I actually bought the kikoman honey sesame sweet chilli and ginger marinade and pan fried fillets after marinating in that at they were awesome, most importantly don't over cook it, just a little under is fine so long as its warm through but if you over cook it it'll be all tough and chewy.

If your game you can do the rest ceviche, haven't tried it myself but apparently the best way to have it with a nice salad, but we are in winter after all :)

At 67cm they are the best sashimi you can get ! So that's a good start.

I actually bought the kikoman honey sesame sweet chilli and ginger marinade and pan fried fillets after marinating in that at they were awesome, most importantly don't over cook it, just a little under is fine so long as its warm through but if you over cook it it'll be all tough and chewy.

If your game you can do the rest ceviche, haven't tried it myself but apparently the best way to have it with a nice salad, but we are in winter after all :)

Thanks mate! Pan-fried it is! Maybe a little bit os sashimi too!

Edited by mack attack 79

Forgot to mention the best soy sauce to use for sashimi is te kikoman sashimi soy sauce you'll find it with the Japanese foods in the supermarket, makes a world of difference

Thanks mate! Did it up last night in the pan with a chilli/basil flavour. Worked out very well :thumbup: Definitely try the sashimi next time!

Another option is what we call "kingfish fish fingers" (my grandson can't pronounce "f" yet!).

Fillet and remove skin. Cut the fish into fish finger sized pieces. Put 1 cup bread crumbs, i heaped dessert sp brown suger, i heaped teaspoon curry powder in a plastic bag and mix together. Add the kingfish. Heat a little oil in a wok and fry the pieces quickly in small batches. It's quick and tastes great.

'Ota Ika is a Polynesian recipe for raw marinated fish in coconut milk.

Servings: 6

Ingredients:

1 kilogram fresh fish fillets

5 lemons, juiced

onion or spring onions, chopped

1 cucumber, diced

2 tomatoes, chopped

1 red pepper, sliced (green or yellow peppers work well too)

1 1/2 cups of coconut cream

1 cup water

1 pinch ground black pepper

Salt to taste

Procedure:

Rinse the fish and cut into cubes.

Place the boneless meat in a clean bowl.

Cut the lemons and squeeze the juice all over the fish, making sure that the meat is well soaked in lemon juice.

Cover the bowl and leave to marinate for at least 2 hours.

Drain of the lemon juice and place all cubes in a clean bowl, chop the onion, tomato, cucumber, green pepper and the lettuce and add to the fish. Add the coconut cream and water also to the bowl of mixed veges and fish cubes.

sprinkle with pepper and salt and mix well.

Transfer to a serving bowl.

cover and chill before serving.

Serve with cooked green bananas, taro, yams or sweet potatoes.

Enjoy the taste of the Pacific 'Ota Ika.

Ingredients:

5 lemons, juiced

1 cucumber, diced

2 tomatoes, chopped

1 cup water

Salt to taste

Procedure:

Cut the lemons and squeeze the juice all over the fish, making sure that the meat is well soaked in lemon juice.

Drain of the lemon juice and place all cubes in a clean bowl, chop the onion, tomato, cucumber, green pepper and the lettuce and add to the fish. Add the coconut cream and water also to the bowl of mixed veges and fish cubes.

Hehehe I know exactly what your talking about my mum makes it all the time !! I'm half Samoan half Fijian indian !! In Fijian we call it "Kokonda" but exactly the same made but sometimes substitute the peppers for fresh red chillis !!

But I tell u know can't get a better raw fish recipe mate !!

Big of Ota ika, Kalo and polusami and we are in business heheh his from reading this post I called my mum about it she's making it this weekend for me for dinner oh how sweet this is heheheh

Hehehe I know exactly what your talking about my mum makes it all the time !! I'm half Samoan half Fijian indian !! In Fijian we call it "Kokonda" but exactly the same made but sometimes substitute the peppers for fresh red chillis !!

Big of Ota ika, Kalo and polusami and we are in business heheh his from reading this post I called my mum about it she's making it this weekend for me for dinner oh how sweet this is heheheh

Dude,

My Father-in-laws second wife was Samoan, and she introduced me to this dish in NZ. It's absolutely delicious. I like the idea of substituting the peppers for Chillies. I reckon the long red ones, with the seeds removed would go down a treat.

Dude,

My Father-in-laws second wife was Samoan, and she introduced me to this dish in NZ. It's absolutely delicious. I like the idea of substituting the peppers for Chillies. I reckon the long red ones, with the seeds removed would go down a treat.

Yeah u can remove the seeds to kill the heat but we love the heat in our family usually go to small skinny red ones as there hot but have a nice aeromatic sweet flavor behind them goes well with the coconut cream :)

Hehe give it a go bud I know u will love it !! Also good Lil twist I use sometimes is mix a bit of sliced onion and small amount of curry powder basically to just change the colour of the dish !! This gives it jus enough flavor without changing the original flavours of the dish dramatically and it is absolute dynamite !!

Enjoy mate :) I know I will

Ingredients:

5 lemons, juiced

1 cucumber, diced

2 tomatoes, chopped

1 cup water

Salt to taste

Procedure:

ctrl A, ctrl C, alt tab, ctrl V, save

sounds awesome!

mmmmmmmmmmm palusami and kokonda.......sounds like someone is having a lovo......