Cooks river break wall 5/7

sean221

While i was at a beach, i found a good source of green stringy weed that looked good enough to use for a go at catching some blackfish. i gathered a fair amount in a bucket for plans to fish the next morning. that night i spent hours on willy weather, forums, and google maps looking for a decent spot that i would think would hold this fish. The next morning i got to the spot at around 7, and looked at the breakwall and the waves were absolutley smashing it. i decided to my self, eh...i drove all the way give it a go!, so i had a go at setting up my blackfish rig, and the outfit i was using was my sp outfit so not too sure if im in the wrong already but anyways i made my way to the spot i was eagre to fish at, and at a closer look i said NOPE! NOT A CHANCE IM GOING TO WALK TO THE END OF THIS THING!, the wind was way too much and the waves were pounding the breakwall and my attempt to fish it would be asking for a dangerouse mistake to happen. so frustratingly i went to cooks river breakwall. Sigh.

I dont usually fish this spot as i see too many people but today there was no one in sight.

I also read somewhere that it was a spot to try for blackfish...... found out not really, i burleyed at the end of a pillar where an eddy was formed, and attempted to bait the hook with the weed. Casted right where i wanted it and surprisingly it stayed upright!, and the pencil float was floating just above the water with only the top fluro bit sticking out. I rigged up my other outfit which is for heavier fish, with a running ball sinker to a swivel then a 50 cm fc leader to a worm hook size 2, baited with blood worm and casted that in. the tide had peaked by now and i was now fishing the run out tide.

an hour n half passed and nothing so i said STUFF THIS BLACK FISHING! called the mrs to tell her i havnt had a single nibble and she laughed .... as always...

so i moved spots halfway down the breakwall at cooks. changed the blackfish rig to the same rig as the other rods with worm for bait and casted at different lenghts.

few minutes later i was on, small juvinile snapper.... let it swim another day.... then again i was on this time it had abit of weight...

i reeled it in with it taking not much line but as i got it afew feet away from the rocks it took line like crazy, and i was screaming YES YES YES.... (hopefully no one herd me), with a few decent runs up came a very nice whiting.

And this whiting was very fat!, pumped up i was shouting with excitement. finally a fish to make my day!

Measure in 35cm in length, i was contemplating on whether or not to keep it or let it go. But i had to show the family of my great catch so took a few shots and in the bucket it went.

post-19575-014739400 1341491987_thumb.jpg

post-19575-049220300 1341492164_thumb.jpg

few minutes later another juvinile snapper came in, and funny this was, i didnt really catch the snapper, but rather the hook hooking up onto a wierd looking parasite on the mouth of the snapper.

Looked like something from outta this world.

took a pic and back it went.

Anyone know what it is??

post-19575-082550100 1341492039_thumb.jpg

Anyways thanks for reading guys! sorry for a long post.

'Don't kill your limit, Limit your kill'

Sean221

That is a good whiting. Hope you have better luck for blackfish next.

They actually ate or amputate fish tongue, and then they act like fish tongue.

They are scary little monsters, scarier than Gremlins.

G'day

Yeah a tongue louse. I've seen them on all sorts of fish from snapper, trevally, to slimies. The weirdest thing is they don't seem to bother the fish too much, I'd be pissed if something ate my tongue! They often crawl out of their hosts mouth in the esky.

Cheers Leo

Hey guys thanks for the replys!

Yeah the parasite looked like an alien. No joke! I wanted to pull it off but it had latched itself on the snapper throat and didnt wanna let go.

Mad creepy.

Anyways was talkingto a local and he said the area fires up more during the middle of the day where the water starts to warm up abit. Bream n trevally was what he said he caught during these hours.

Ill keep that in mind next time.

Anyways cheers for your input guys!

Ill have to give the luderick another go on calmer days.

I found a very god drain system that holds weed, and keen on this quest for the blackies.

Hey guys thanks for the replys!

Yeah the parasite looked like an alien. No joke! I wanted to pull it off but it had latched itself on the snapper throat and didnt wanna let go.

Mad creepy.

If you don't want to pull it off the fish, and sometimes the bastards hang on really tight to the fish with all those spiky little legs, what I do is pinch the head of the parasite with my fingers to kill it. The parasite may eventually let go, or you can return the fish to the water and the parasite will die and drop off.

Mate,

fished the wall since I was a kid for luderick, it can fire some years and others not last year it fired for big fish March April June and then it was juvenilles after that, theres a trick to the wall in that the fish will hold on certain spots and not others, also where you get your weed will really amtter thya ca nbe very picky on the wall! Let me know next time your heading down there (I live 10 mins from the wall and river so usually go for a wanderto see hats happening) and I will PM you the marks and depths to fish for them. The bigger fish will usually be found on the inside of the wall from the vee to about a two thirds of the way out to the point and usually the run in. At this time of the year the bigger fish tend to move right up the system past Tempe Rail Bridge we get them up as far as Hurlstone Park fishing conventional luderick rigs.

If you don't want to pull it off the fish, and sometimes the bastards hang on really tight to the fish with all those spiky little legs, what I do is pinch the head of the parasite with my fingers to kill it. The parasite may eventually let go, or you can return the fish to the water and the parasite will die and drop off.

The parasite had a hard body aswell, i just wanted to squash it and hear that cruch sound haha.

If i come across it again ill have to pinch the head off.

Cheers matey!

Mate,

fished the wall since I was a kid for luderick, it can fire some years and others not last year it fired for big fish March April June and then it was juvenilles after that, theres a trick to the wall in that the fish will hold on certain spots and not others, also where you get your weed will really amtter thya ca nbe very picky on the wall! Let me know next time your heading down there (I live 10 mins from the wall and river so usually go for a wanderto see hats happening) and I will PM you the marks and depths to fish for them. The bigger fish will usually be found on the inside of the wall from the vee to about a two thirds of the way out to the point and usually the run in. At this time of the year the bigger fish tend to move right up the system past Tempe Rail Bridge we get them up as far as Hurlstone Park fishing conventional luderick rigs.

Will do mate! Thanks for the help and reply!