A little bit hairy - 6/7/12

quintrex480

Hi raiders, headed to Cowan for another shot at some hairtail, had a couple of failed attempts in previous weeks so wanted to really get onto them this time.

Got on the water around 4pm and decided to troll around with the rapala for a possible kingie but only ended up with a nice salmon.

With night falling, decided to camp down inside WB, the bite got hot around 8ish and continued on till 11pm, not that they weren't biting still but promised the wife that I wouldn't be home too late, so we "left them biting again" :biggrin2:

Got onto a nice flattie at 62cm, a new PB for me.

post-16665-058007100 1341747601_thumb.jpg

Hi raiders, headed to Cowan for another shot at some hairtail, had a couple of failed attempts in previous weeks so wanted to really get onto them this time.

Got on the water around 4pm and decided to troll around with the rapala for a possible kingie but only ended up with a nice salmon.

With night falling, decided to camp down inside WB, the bite got hot around 8ish and continued on till 11pm, not that they weren't biting still but promised the wife that I wouldn't be home too late, so we "left them biting again" :biggrin2:

Hey mate- great catch! How did you manage to get on the water at 4pm..don't you have the thing called a job to go to? :biggrin2:

Sh1t ... I was also at WB on Friday night for the first time so I must have seen your boat light there in the dark... we rocked up at about 9:30pm and was the northern most boat away from everyone else (I think we were a bit loud!!). We got a few hairy bastards also!

Was very surprised to see only 4 or 5 boats fishing there all night concidering how good the conditions were .

Cheers

Trung

Excellent mate top bag yet again :)

wish to catch something apart from bream & trevally .

Chris

Hey mate- great catch! How did you manage to get on the water at 4pm..don't you have the thing called a job to go to? :biggrin2:

Sh1t ... I was also at WB on Friday night for the first time so I must have seen your boat light there in the dark... we rocked up at about 9:30pm and was the northern most boat away from everyone else (I think we were a bit loud!!). We got a few hairy bastards also!

Was very surprised to see only 4 or 5 boats fishing there all night concidering how good the conditions were .

Cheers

Trung

getting on the water at 4pm is all good when you're the top dog! :biggrin2:

so it was you guys that was making all that ruckus! was thinking to myself, "what bloody hoons!, don't the know hairtailing is a quiet affair!" ahahhah :biggrin2:

yeah I think it had been a bit quiet of late in the hairtail for the reason why there weren't too many boats that night, should have seen the number of boats in the last few weeks there, thought I made a wrong turn and was at Mollineax Point. :biggrin2:

Excellent mate top bag yet again :)

wish to catch something apart from bream & trevally .

Chris

Anytime you want to try for them buddy, more than happy to lend a helping hand to yourself and your dad.

Nice hairys they looked good size about them. Top effort. Are you starting to enjoy Cowan. :biggrin2:

thanks buddy, well this session was going to be the final straw, the last 2 attempts have been miserable failures. The difference this time as mentioned is there was a sh!t less number of boats.

Edited by quintrex480

Sounds like i picked the wrong night! Went out to WB on Saturday for a donut. Grabbed a few yakkas and legal snapper at west head but when we arrived (6pm) it was quite crowded. Around 15 boats in there which isn't a lot compared to what theres been lately but still very crowded. Over the next 4 or so hours we didn't even get a bite. Not even the bream/jewie rods had a bite! Pretty slow... I guess thats fishing though.. I'll be out soon chasing those silver bastards! AGAIN.

Cheers, Tom

Nice haul, We got a good few on Thursday night and also smoked by a king.

Have to ask what is your method to set the hook on these hairtail?

I lost twice as many as I caught, not sure how to hook them when you see the tell tale 'slow loading' of the rod tip.

Very exciting catching something so unique, see ya out there!

We had a cracking session on them at smiths creek as well as a school of kings came through which was a massive eye opener,

Did you end up getting onto any of those kings? how big did they look? on a previous week, we saw them busting up outside north of WB, we got the lures ready but this massive boat ran straight over them and they went deep.

Sounds like i picked the wrong night! Went out to WB on Saturday for a donut. Grabbed a few yakkas and legal snapper at west head but when we arrived (6pm) it was quite crowded. Around 15 boats in there which isn't a lot compared to what theres been lately but still very crowded. Over the next 4 or so hours we didn't even get a bite. Not even the bream/jewie rods had a bite! Pretty slow... I guess thats fishing though.. I'll be out soon chasing those silver bastards! AGAIN.

Cheers, Tom

Hey Tom, that's hairtailing for ya, sometimes they are red hot and other times it's pretty hard. It makes even harder when there are that many boats in there.

Nice haul, We got a good few on Thursday night and also smoked by a king.

Have to ask what is your method to set the hook on these hairtail?

I lost twice as many as I caught, not sure how to hook them when you see the tell tale 'slow loading' of the rod tip.

Very exciting catching something so unique, see ya out there!

Shame about the kingie, did it feel like a decent size?

Nice batch of fish,

With all the amount of boats targeting these fish you done pretty well.

thanks buddy!

can't complain with that :thumbup:

Not complaining at all :biggrin2: but it did take me 3 trips to finally get a decent haul.

Cracking mixed seafood feast, top looking catch guys.

Chris.

thanks Chris

I was at WB on Saturday night. We were the warm people with the BBQ going!

We managed 5 all up. Dropped a couple at the boat and missed a few strikes. Most of them were on pilchards, though the livies accounted for 1 fish and one missed strike. Sounds like Smiths Creek could be a better bet, though it's a big creek, and I've got no clue as to where to go for them. Mad keen to have another go as soon as possible.

Did you end up getting onto any of those kings? how big did they look? on a previous week, we saw them busting up outside north of WB, we got the lures ready but this massive boat ran straight over them and they went deep.

Yeah we go 4 between the 2 of us in double time, biggest went 87 smallest 76, nice little kings to warm the arms up,

Shame about the kingie, did it feel like a decent size?

thanks Chris

I landed an 82cm model there a few weeks a ago on 6lb fireline on my 3kg setup, however I couldn't stop this one it headed straight for the rocky bank and busted me up!

I was at WB on Saturday night. We were the warm people with the BBQ going!

We managed 5 all up. Dropped a couple at the boat and missed a few strikes. Most of them were on pilchards, though the livies accounted for 1 fish and one missed strike. Sounds like Smiths Creek could be a better bet, though it's a big creek, and I've got no clue as to where to go for them. Mad keen to have another go as soon as possible.

hi mate,

i was also there sat night. No luck for us... how far in were you and how far from the shore? We were one of the furthest out in the bay