Brown rock La perouse (Botany bay)

kongc

Hey guys,

I've been reading the forums for a long time now, but this is my first time posting.

I went to Brown rock today, started fishing around 11:30am with ganged pilchards. We stayed until about 1:30pm, without a single bite. There were 3 other guys there, and they were fishing with prawns and squid with no success. I'm really new to fishing, so I'm a little uncertain as to what is going wrong haha. I've read on this site and others that brown rock is a good spot to fish but I apparently have very bad luck. Such a long trek for nothing :1wallbash: I might try Bare island next time, and I think I'll try go in the morning.

Some people say that tides are more important than time of day, but others say the opposite. What do you guys think?

Cheers!

Hey guys,

I've been reading the forums for a long time now, but this is my first time posting.

I went to Brown rock today, started fishing around 11:30am with ganged pilchards. We stayed until about 1:30pm, without a single bite. There were 3 other guys there, and they were fishing with prawns and squid with no success. I'm really new to fishing, so I'm a little uncertain as to what is going wrong haha. I've read on this site and others that brown rock is a good spot to fish but I apparently have very bad luck. Such a long trek for nothing :1wallbash: I might try Bare island next time, and I think I'll try go in the morning.

Some people say that tides are more important than time of day, but others say the opposite. What do you guys think?

Cheers!

Being persistent is the key, when I started to get back into it it took me two months to land my first fish. I was going through the same thing, using ganged pillies as well, I wanted to just give up haha. That's fishing though.

It's been a little quiet at my local haunts too - few 5-6 hour sessions over the past two weeks with no more than a nibble - some say it's just the time of year.

Depending on what you are fishing for but morning and afternoon seem to produce good results - especially if either one is on a tide run (I prefer run in tide late afternoon or really early.) I'm not too sure of those spots but maybe you should try bottom bashing for Snapper?

There should be some Salmon around morning and afternoon though.

Hope that helps

Being persistent is the key, when I started to get back into it it took me two months to land my first fish. I was going through the same thing, using ganged pillies as well, I wanted to just give up haha. That's fishing though.

It's been a little quiet at my local haunts too - few 5-6 hour sessions over the past two weeks with no more than a nibble - some say it's just the time of year.

Depending on what you are fishing for but morning and afternoon seem to produce good results - especially if either one is on a tide run (I prefer run in tide late afternoon or really early.) I'm not too sure of those spots but maybe you should try bottom bashing for Snapper?

There should be some Salmon around morning and afternoon though.

Hope that helps

Hey man, thanks for replying! Just did a quick google search on bottom bashing, might give it a go next time. :D

Hey man, thanks for replying! Just did a quick google search on bottom bashing, might give it a go next time. :D

Yeah mate just a Patenoster Rig with some circle hooks should do the trick with a 3-4oz Snapper Sinker should be fine. I'm not sure how snaggy it is out there though.

Mate, that place is hopeless through the day, especially at the time you were there. All you will catch are 50 cent sized reddies. You might catch a leather jacket if you are really lucky.

It's a quiet spot and you need to go there at sunrise or near sunset and stay during the night. You might occasionally get salmon after sunrise, but the schools cruise past and don't really stay for long.

You could try for hairtail at night if you catch yellowtail at sunset or after, but plan on camping down there for half the night at least.

I only ever go to La Perouse for squid and even then, in my opinion, it isn't really a good spot. My usual rock fishing spots haven't been doing well at all for the past month so I would say it is just that time of the year, but that's just my experience.

Hey mate,

Things have gone so quiet it's not funny, I've been fishing everyday morning, noon and night. I'm fishing in bays, off the rocks, in rivers and there is nothing doing...well at least for me that is. I've seen others pull salmon around coogee and Bronte, so that gives me some hope :thumbup: as for La Pa' well I was there Monday afternoon until sunset, using pillies and all I got was snagged 3 times and had no bites :thumbdown:

What I've been working on is catching yakkas, as they went MIA for me over the last month, but I've managed to catch 30 in the last two days...there's my bait for the weekend! I hope the salmon will find my yakkas more attractive than everyone else's pillies off the rocks.

Take it easy and good luck