Cushion Cover Repair/Replacement for Bayliner

SCOTTYB

Hi All,

Have spent today helping a mate clean out a Bayliner 265 - apparently is 'on loan' from a client of his firm's. Sad story - the boat has been moored for 3-4 years after only being taken out ONCE! Since then, no care or maintenance has been covered.

The guys have got the engine/mechanical issues sorted out, hull cleaned and we started on the deck/interior cleanup/refurb today. To keep the story short - I don't recommend being too close when a cabin door is opened on a boat that has been sealed up, and out in the weather for any extended period of time!

Hard surfaces inside the cabin we managed to clean up ok, but cushions and covers range in condition from needing a really good soak in bleach/napisan to disintegrating in your hands because of mould damage and deterioration. Carpet interior seems to have come up ok after a go with the wet and dry vac, and are leaving vents/hatches open for a couple of days to let her air out.

At this point am just wondering if any of you have had to replace and or repair cushion covers for your boat, and if you've got recommendations for either buying or having new ones made, in particular if you've had work done/dealt with Sydney based suppliers.

Thanks FR's,

Scott

The best advice one can give is that most of the Marine Upholsters are pretty good at their job. If they have been around for some time you can be assured they know their job. They amaze me at what they can do. You can check the boat mags for a start or your local marina. They are not cheap. The boat show at end of the month could be of some help.

I don`t believe one person is better than another so could not recommend one person against another.

Mould on vinyl cushions and bolsters is the bane of keeping my rear cockpit clean. Nothing I have tried works perfectly, the mould is gone but the stains are left behind. I am going to have fabric covers made that I can take off the boat and launder so it looks nice when we have guests. Other than that, getting them remade is the only option (and mega expensive).

Thanks Guys - I think that is what we're going to find out this week. The vinyl moulded seats are actually pretty good - its the fabric ones from inside the cabin that have gone to pieces (literally), so hopefully having fabric covers done won't be so $$$.

Thanks again,

Scott