Jump to content

sharky morning in the harbour


Recommended Posts

Decided to get up early to fish the tide change at 7am. Came down to my middle harbour spot last night and got 4yakkas which I put in a keeper buckets and tied them under the wharf.

4am my alarm goes off a quick coffee and I'm at manly wharf by 4:20am manage 10 good sized yakkas.

Feeling really good for the sunrise session. Set my first two baits and with in ten minutes one gets a good bump then another I pick up the rod and I can feel my yakka going nuts and something is hitting it then bang a rip of drag and nothing its goes. Out goes a fresh ones and I check my other bait and its been chopped in two.

Over the next hour I got bitten off 4 times, lost a few yakkas and pulled in two more half yakkas. I'm now down to my last two livies and no the sun is up the sharks seem to have moved on.

I was about to thinking about packing it in and my mate called saying he is on his way with two big fresh squid and a coffee for me so looks like il fish the run out now.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Good fun shore they were sharks or tailor cause my mate has been getting massive tailor around that area he got one that bit a big yakka in half luckly he had a stinger hook on

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Tapatalk 2

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ditto for tailor,

I had live slimies down in middle harbour a couple of weeks ago and I could see the tailor coming in on the sounder. The slimies got hammered, with huge chunks taken in single bites.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've pulled up loads of livies with the same bite pattern after a bit strike... what's the best way to land the creature that is doing the biting?

wire trace? leave the half-yakka down there and hope for the second strike?

I have had both small hammerhead and decent sized tailor caught at the times when I've also experienced the "half yakka".


Link to comment
Share on other sites

I was running a stinger I do with all my live baits. The one missing the tail the stinger was just infront of the bite (rig was a little short as the yakka was about 25cm) another one bitten in two the stinger was in the tail. I also had a stinger bitten off. I know if I was running wire I would have put my self in with a better chance of hooking them but I don't like wire when fishing for Jews.

Yer ginko I've had baby hammer heads and baby whalers coming in caught on the stinger with half a yakka hanging off the top hook. Personally I'm not usually looking at landing them I'm waiting for a Jew or king to swallow it whole. Me and a mate were talking about putting gang hooks in a yakka or tying a rig with two hooks and a free swinging treble off the bottom. That rig is used a lot by mackrel fishing

Edited by sydangler
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The thing is that most Middle & North Harbour jew have followed the mullet & moved to the offshore reefs

at this time of year.

The water is also too cold for your small sharks such as whalers & hammers.

When you start catching Port Jacksons you will rarely get other sharks in the Harbour.

You won't find many jew either.

In winter fish for what's there. Use wire & smack some stonker tailor.



Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Create New...