Poddy Mullet Trap

mattyg_16

Hey guys,

I posted a topic about Poddy Mullet traps a few weeks ago now and got some useful information back.

Posted 03 July 2012 - 07:49 PM

Hey guys,

I'm pretty much down with most live bait including yakkas, slimies and squid but I have never attempted to obtain Poddy Mullet. I've got a grips on the trap an how set it but I really wanted to know the following:

- are their NSW fisheries limits on Poddys and the trap size;

- are there certain times of year which are better to catch them;

- what's the best method for rigging them (I'll be targeting flatties, bream and Jew;

- are they spread around or do the concentrate in certain areas; ( I normally fish the Hawkesbury and Sydney Harbour)

- what is everyone's best catches on Poddy's.

Thanks guys

Matt

I just wanted to share some photos of the first prototype I have put together. It consists of a plastic storage container, a hole in the top, several drainage holes and a mirror. I have herd the mirror helps in attracting the fish into the trap becasue they think there are already others in there. I am hoping to test it in the coming weeks but it will likely get a work out with the return of warmer water temps. Does anyone know if any other baitfish can be caught this way, maybe herring?

Matt

post-21515-013148600 1342597254_thumb.jpg

post-21515-026004700 1342597342_thumb.jpg

Not saying it won't work but generally i heard the containers/traps have to be fully see-through. So those blue handles could pose a problem. It may also be a little big. I'd definitely still try it out though! And yes you will get the odd herring or silver biddy in them. I got a garfish once so anythings possible!

Edited by mack attack 79

<br />Not saying it won't work but generally i heard the containers/traps have to be fully see-through. So those blue handles could pose a problem. It may also be a little big. I'd definitely still try it out though! And yes you will get the odd herring or silver biddy in them. I got a garfish once so anythings possible!<br />
<br /><br /><br />

+1 the best way to make one is a plain 2lt juice bottle with a cross cut into it or if you are going to buy one get the clear tube style not the teloscopic one ether there crap

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Tapatalk 2

Thanks guys,

That style of container was the only one avaliable in the shop which was fully clear, others were frosted and or had frosted patches. I got the one with the blue handles because I was really keen on making one ASAP. I have seen the juice bottle trap and have seen it work but I wanted to make something a bit more permanent. I watched a You Tube vid the other day of a guy using the exact same container and it worked for him so I'll just have to wait and see. I will be taking a few different versions out to see which works best. In the end I think if there is a big enough school of them and they get into a frenzy over bread they would go into anything.

Matt

Juice Bottle

Container

Its worth buying one from your local tackle store and comparing what works best for you. Its always fun to fish for them with a small float, tiny hook and piece of bread while you wait for your traps to fill up! I actually catch most of mine this way! God knows why because its very frustrating... 4 hours for 16 of em.... THE THINGS WE DO FOR A JEW OR TWO!

Edited by mack attack 79

Hi Matt,

That style works for me. Try putting four self tappers at each corner of an imaginary square around the hole. The square should be just smaller than a slice of bread. The idea is that the screws hold a slide of bread in place under the hole. Rip a small hole in the bread. You can even use rubber bands stretch between the screws to help secure the bread.

Hope this makes sense.

...mal

Mack Attack

Definitely a decent Mulloway or a big flattie is what im after. I have a few decent holes in the Hawkesbury River I am dying to put a poddy down in. I have seen a few cylindrical ones from the tackle store but there is someing about making it yourself. Like making a blackfish float or a lure and having success on it.

Mal

Thanks for the advice, I was trying to think of ways to keep the bread secure to the sides as well without having it all float out the top.

Matt

.... and don't forget to put a rock in it or the sand like the bloke does with the drink bottle, so it sits on the bottom & stays there!!..... Also, worth tying some string to it & securing it to another big rock!! I had one of those cylindrical ones you buy from tackle shops, popped it in a spot & when I went back an hour later, it was gone!! Either a 2 legged tackle pincher was about - or maybe some BIG poddies got into it & somehow moved it away! It was a very murky spot & after a short try, I gave up feeling for it in the mud! :(

That should work a treat. I made one out of a couple of coke bottles, so it looked like the shop bought one! :)

ROberta

I'm a juice bottle man too. Cost nothing and usually you brain plenty. I've tried lots of versions and found my strike rate on juice bottles to be better than any other form. But I don't tend to use them very often these days after I got the soft plastic bug.

Hey guys,

I posted a topic about Poddy Mullet traps a few weeks ago now and got some useful information back.

I just wanted to share some photos of the first prototype I have put together. It consists of a plastic storage container, a hole in the top, several drainage holes and a mirror. I have herd the mirror helps in attracting the fish into the trap becasue they think there are already others in there. I am hoping to test it in the coming weeks but it will likely get a work out with the return of warmer water temps. Does anyone know if any other baitfish can be caught this way, maybe herring?

Matt

Matt, They are great trap they work very well. I have a identical one to your trap, try putting large sinkers to sink it.I have a salt water tank with different species that have been caught in the trap including Poddy Mullet. I do not buy any fish in my tank and this trap placed the in the rite position will catch just about anything. I have seen a lot of this type used and they work better than anything i have seen.

Troy

Edited by troy 1

I also read somewhere that if you leave the trap unattended, you are supposed to attach at tag with your name, address, etc to the trap so that the tag sits on the water's surface, in case fisheries officers swing by. Can anyone confirm that? May as well dot the I's and cross the T's.

Nursie