Trailer parts

Formosan

Hi Guys

I got a Swiftco trailer towing a 5.2 metre boat, I am wanting to change the leaf springs and brake calipers.

Are they ones you can get from super cheap auto ie ARK brands will fit my trailer?

Are the sized standardized?

Also how can you tell if my hubs are ford or holden?

Hi Guys

I got a Swiftco trailer towing a 5.2 metre boat, I am wanting to change the leaf springs and brake calipers.

Are they ones you can get from super cheap auto ie ARK brands will fit my trailer?

Are the sized standardized?

Also how can you tell if my hubs are ford or holden?

They should have them in stock, best to measure or even take one of each with you to check the same in lengh & how many leaf.

as for bearings & hubs there is a difference in the thicknes of the axle. Ford axle is thicker then holden but its comon to have a ford rim on holden axle & viceversa so once again take a bearing & hub with you so that you get the right inside of the bearing I think the external of the bearings are the same but if you need to be sure take hub with you aswell.

Yeah I know it sounds like your taking a lot with you but you dont want to go back to the shop once you started the work!

Edited by oz_brett

As Brett said it can be confusing as to buying the right parts. If the trailer is an original see if you can contact the maker and ask them.

They will advise you all the info you need including where to buy the parts. You could also go to a local traler repairer/builder for advice. Just be careful of quality as well. I would certainly buy the best on the market as well as putting hub /bearing buddy on.

I had a Dunbier trailer and was glad I spoke to the company. They were very helpful. As I am not mechanically minded I had a trailer business do the work for me and glad I spent the extra.

Cheers.

I recently replaced my springs & as others have said it is bacisally the overall length & the number of leaves

I purchased mine from a local trailer manufacture , they are AL-KO brand which are perhaps the most common. I think they cost $100 for the pair.

As for the hubs , the bearings have a number stamped on the side. Mine are Ford & the No's are ,

Outer L68149

Inner , LM12749

If you take one of the outer bearings to a bearing shop like CBC or SKF they can advise if they are Holden or Ford.

Geoff

They should have them in stock, best to measure or even take one of each with you to check the same in lengh & how many leaf.

as for bearings & hubs there is a difference in the thicknes of the axle. Ford axle is thicker then holden but its comon to have a ford rim on holden axle & viceversa so once again take a bearing & hub with you so that you get the right inside of the bearing I think the external of the bearings are the same but if you need to be sure take hub with you aswell.

Yeah I know it sounds like your taking a lot with you but you dont want to go back to the shop once you started the work!

Thanks for the advice.

As Brett said it can be confusing as to buying the right parts. If the trailer is an original see if you can contact the maker and ask them.

They will advise you all the info you need including where to buy the parts. You could also go to a local traler repairer/builder for advice. Just be careful of quality as well. I would certainly buy the best on the market as well as putting hub /bearing buddy on.

I had a Dunbier trailer and was glad I spoke to the company. They were very helpful. As I am not mechanically minded I had a trailer business do the work for me and glad I spent the extra.

Cheers.

SOund advice re quality parts, Dont wanna stuck beside of the road .

Who is your local trailer repair guy?

I recently replaced my springs & as others have said it is bacisally the overall length & the number of leaves

I purchased mine from a local trailer manufacture , they are AL-KO brand which are perhaps the most common. I think they cost $100 for the pair.

As for the hubs , the bearings have a number stamped on the side. Mine are Ford & the No's are ,

Outer L68149

Inner , LM12749

If you take one of the outer bearings to a bearing shop like CBC or SKF they can advise if they are Holden or Ford.

Geoff

Did you install the leaf springs yourself Geoff? DO they come with all the botls and U clamps? Who is the local trailer manufacturer?

Did you install the leaf springs yourself Geoff? DO they come with all the botls and U clamps? Who is the local trailer manufacturer?

Yes , I installed them myself. Are yours the common type ,what they call "trailing springs" , ie bolt through the front eye & the rear sits in a U shape bracket.

Jack the trailer up & support the actual frame with a car stand or something similar then place the jack under the axle to provide support.

My U bolts & front bolt were badly rusted. Did not waste time with WD40 etc , cut them off with the angle grinder , only took a few minuits.

I did get new U bolts & the front bolt / nuts. Cannot recall if I got them from the trailer guy or the caravan / trailer place on the highway at Lansvale. Either way bolts / nuts are supplied seperatly & as such are additional $$$$.

Will need to get the name for the trailer guy , they are in Carlingford St , Regents Park.

Geoff

Edited by Geoff