Flattie Lures/SPs

Guest leisureman

Guest leisureman

Hi Raider's,

Wondering what everyone considers to be their favourite Flattie lure or SP? The Kokoda Prawn never fails for me! Starting to try the new squidgy range too & keen to hear if anyone has luck on the Berkeley bloodworm SPs? When i get myself a kayak i will be also trolling Manns 5+ hardbodies....also hope for one to hit a popper in the shallows with a bit of luck. Keen to hear your thoughts Raider's! Cheers!

for trolling try to get your hands on the lively lure micro mullet in colour "pink bits" apparently one of the best trolling lures out, also the gulp grub in watermelon colour very good. Also has anyone tried out the pink squidgy stealth prawns?

Edited by Spoooled

My personal favourites are:

> Berkley gulp turtle back worm 100mm pumpkin seed colour

> Squidgy 100mm wriggler bloodworm colour

> Squidgy 85mm flick bait pilly colour

> TT 1/4 ounce vibes in the brighter colours :)

for trolling try to get your hands on the lively lure micro mullet in colour "pink bits" apparently one of the best trolling lures out, also the gulp grub in watermelon colour very good. Also has anyone tried out the pink squidgy stealth prawns?

Hi Spoooled, i have had reasonable success fishing the squidgy stealth prawn but in the tiger prawn colour. Have caught plenty of bream and flatties and the occasional trevally and whiting on them, ive been using the 50mm and 70mm sizes. If u decided to fish them make sure to fish them with light jig heads around the 1/12 mark as they sink quite quickly.

hope this is helpful :)

Hi Spoooled, i have had reasonable success fishing the squidgy stealth prawn but in the tiger prawn colour. Have caught plenty of bream and flatties and the occasional trevally and whiting on them, ive been using the 50mm and 70mm sizes. If u decided to fish them make sure to fish them with light jig heads around the 1/12 mark as they sink quite quickly.

hope this is helpful :)

Thanks for the info buddy, yeh ive had some success too with the tiger prawn colour, but ive heard that flathead are attracted to the colour pink so i thought they would probably go well on the flatties?

yeh, Micro Mullet is a beauty for trolling (but I find most minnow styles that get down to the bottom will work).

I like to use bigger (4" or 6") grubs for SP's, in pink, nuclear chook or chartruese in cloudy water.

5" flickbaits in mullet colour in clearer water.

I tend to use heavier jigheads than the other guys have advised, 1/4 or 3/8's to really bounce it along the bottom and stir up the sand (and get longer casts so as not to spook them in the shallows)!

And a long 10-20lb leader (depending on the terrain).

Tight Lines...

yeh, Micro Mullet is a beauty for trolling (but I find most minnow styles that get down to the bottom will work).

I like to use bigger (4" or 6") grubs for SP's, in pink, nuclear chook or chartruese in cloudy water.

5" flickbaits in mullet colour in clearer water.

I tend to use heavier jigheads than the other guys have advised, 1/4 or 3/8's to really bounce it along the bottom and stir up the sand (and get longer casts so as not to spook them in the shallows)!

And a long 10-20lb leader (depending on the terrain).

Tight Lines...

is there a successful way to fish the micro mullet landbased instead of trolling?

is there a successful way to fish the micro mullet landbased instead of trolling?

Sorry, can't help there...

I've never been into casting hard bodies much (from land or boat)!

The M'Mullet is is such a small light lure, so I don't think you'd get much distance.

I know a lot of "hard body" blokes add lead to their lures so as to change the action/depth of the presentation, maybe this would help with casting distance (but might have a negative effect on action).

Like I mentioned, I tend to use SP's when flickin', and lean towards slightly heavier jig heads to get some distance (and to make sure I bounce it on their noses!).

Anyone else got an answer for Spoooled?

I fished landbased with them once up at Port Stephens. Motohead is right about distance. They don't cast all that far but if you fish them in the right places they can work. I found a nice drop-off straight off some flats. Went from 0.3m to 2m. Snagged one 45cm flattie by twitching it back along the drop off. You need to twitch down to get it right down to the fish. A slow wind (rolling action) can work well too. The moral of the story is that yes they can be used if you find an appropriate spot but there are definitely some better hardbodies out there for flattie flicking:biggrin2:

Cheers, Tom

Edited by mack attack 79

Sorry, can't help there...

I've never been into casting hard bodies much (from land or boat)!

The M'Mullet is is such a small light lure, so I don't think you'd get much distance.

I know a lot of "hard body" blokes add lead to their lures so as to change the action/depth of the presentation, maybe this would help with casting distance (but might have a negative effect on action).

Like I mentioned, I tend to use SP's when flickin', and lean towards slightly heavier jig heads to get some distance (and to make sure I bounce it on their noses!).

Anyone else got an answer for Spoooled?

I fished landbased with them once up at Port Stephens. Motohead is right about distance. They don't cast all that far but if you fish them in the right places they can work. I found a nice drop-off straight off some flats. Went from 0.3m to 2m. Snagged one 45cm flattie by twitching it back along the drop off. You need to twitch down to get it right down to the fish. A slow wind (rolling action) can work well too. The moral of the story is that yes they can be used if you find an appropriate spot but there are definitely some better hardbodies out there for flattie flicking:biggrin2:

Cheers, Tom

Thanks for the info guys :thumbup: