DIY Esky Bait tank

Vince1974

Hi Guys

Just thought i would post some picks of my DIY esky bait tank. Might give you some ideas if you are limited for space or had similar ideas. All up this cost me about $80.

20120713_081050.jpg

20120715_121929.jpg

Cheers, Vince

I like it, good job

Thanks guys.

I got the plastic fittings from Whitworths Drummoyne. I had to drill holes into the esky that pretty much matched the dimater of the fittings. Then i used sikaflex to seal it up to ensure no water leaks.

You are right...i made the inlet higher to provide more oxygen. I also made it higher than the water outlet to prevent the water reverse flowing back out trhough the bilge. I won't be running the tank all the time only to freshen up the water every now and then. Works well.

• 1 month later...

I just finished mine a couple of weeks ago.

Same idea - almost same esky (cheapest square one I could find) I just boxed it up with MDF soaked in resin then flowcoated and turned it into a bait board on top. Skin fittings & $19.95 bilge pump. last one lasted 4 seasons and takes 5 minutes to change so haven't bothered with an expensive one. Its the second remodeling of my baittank set up.

Moved the inlet/outlets to the front so it doesnt drain when you get up on the plane.

It use to sit in the transom well and removeable, but now its at the perfect work height and is bolted to the transom with brackets. Solid as rock and can grab it or lean on it in the rough weather

Sad thing after all the work, I am selling the boat....

post-2971-034085500 1346677516_thumb.jpg

post-2971-083659700 1346677961_thumb.jpg

Edited by Burley King

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Guys

Just thought i would post some picks of my DIY esky bait tank. Might give you some ideas if you are limited for space or had similar ideas. All up this cost me about $80.

20120713_081050.jpg

20120715_121929.jpg

Cheers, Vince

well done!

I have trying to work this out for a while now. To buy one off the shelf is just too expensive and want fit my boat.

Thanks. Great post and excellent DIY!

very tidy looking job but this does not circulate the water properly and water spashing in on top does little for the water on the bottom and overall water quality.

Actually the fresh water entering the tank is the first to exit. ! Whilst it may be ok for yakkas, with a good load of slimies I.think would struggle..

The real test will be how long it takes to clear out a few squid squirts...

Perhaps u can add something inside to direct the water to the bottom.

very tidy looking job but this does not circulate the water properly and water spashing in on top does little for the water on the bottom and overall water quality.

Actually the fresh water entering the tank is the first to exit. ! Whilst it may be ok for yakkas, with a good load of slimies I.think would struggle..

The real test will be how long it takes to clear out a few squid squirts...

Perhaps u can add something inside to direct the water to the bottom.

I think you might be right you know

Maybe a simple right angle elbow and a small length of pipe

pointing to the bottom

But over all a nice job anyway keep up the good work