Darwin

fishergirl

Hi raiders going up to spend a week with my brother inlaw with the hubby, the brother inlaw ain't much of a fisho can get hold of a 12 foot tiny with sounder, does anyone know of any productive spots, to catch barra or Jew, gps spots would be appreciated I'm so looking forward to it any info would be appreciated

Tight lines all

Ange

Can't help you out with GPS and probably not Jew but maybe barra and others. I can tell you that there's plenty of jewie hot spots in the harbour though! Best bet is to pop into a tackle store and ask them for some info. For barra, there's a spot called stokes hill wharf in darwin. If you troll hardbodies around this massive structure you should get Queenies, Trevally, Mackerel and the odd Barra. There are also a few nooks worth a cast for barra. The barra hold up here under the wharf. At night if you shine a torch underneath you can see them! Some 100+ in the mix too! Another spot i came across was the foreshore directly infront of the esplanade. Here the banks are very rugged made out of rock and mangrove. The dirty water here seems to fire them up too! Casting big lures and livebaits in is the go here. Some big fish are caught here at times so have the right tackle to stop them!

Other than that, i can't really help with any more spots. Let me tell you, there are no shortage though! For the barra things to look for are; Rockbars, Drains (Little streams of water flooding off sand flats into deeper/murky water, creek junctions and small creek mouths on the run out tide! I would certainly recommend catching some live mullet, garfish or herring for bait. It'll really boost your chances! Look out for crocs and BIG sharks! Plenty of them! Trolling lures around rockwalls and structure will always see if the GT's or queenies are around too!

Cheers, Tom

Thanks so much Tom very informative, were

Leaving tomorrow so I can't wait, reading your reply has got me pumped so much more, thank you ,thank you ,thank you ..

No problem! Hopefully you get a few good fish :thumbup: Can't wait for the report :biggrin2:

I have seen queenies at the end of the breakwall at Cullen bay chasing poppers, and seen

Barra and squid at the Cullen bay wharf/jetty at night.

cheers

Edited by penguin

I lived up there for a few years....my observations : August: Big schools of longtail tuna invade the harbour and Fannie Bay, usual story look for the birds. Spin them with high speed lures or poppers. Queenfish hotspot for me was East Point, Some days there was crazy action. Very shallow and snaggy so poppers and surface lures only. Lots of trevally there too but never got any real big ones. The barra fishing was not worth the effort in my opinion unless you went to the rivers about 3 hours away. Jewies off the ferry wreck at the cape. Do a day charter for them. Good luck