All quiet at Wally's Wharf

GreyNurse

G'day Raiders,

Just came back from Wally's Wharf at Dolan's Bay this evening. I was there last Friday evening for 4.5hrs for one small arrow squid. There was a nice Italian bloke on the pontoon polling for yakkas. He did OK. Very broad accent on the fellow, but we had a good chat, which made up for the poor squid result. He reckoned the squid have all but disappeared from Wally's Wharf. Except maybe for the summer days. He cheered when I landed the squid. :yahoo:

Tonight, I repeated the process, except that I was one my ownsome. One squid for 2.5 hrs casting about. In both cases, the squid were down deep off the front of the pontoon. The tides didn't seem to make a difference. Last week it was high, tonight it was low. The weed beds to the east were barren! Something else I noticed were the ducks that were swimming around the pontoon. I figured that it would be quiet when I saw them. There was certainly nothing that was threatening them from below. I was worried that they might go the squid jig, but they turned back when they saw the braid in front of them. Whew! Last thing I needed was to unhook a duck!

So there you go, Raiders. If you want squid, I think there's more productive places. If you fancy some nice duck.......

Anyone know any good land based spots for squid?

Cheers,

Nursie

Grey nurse you’re not alone, I put in two hours on Wednesday around Bare Island for zip. I returned again yesterday put in another two hours for nothing. I had a break went to the local shop had something to eat and returned to fish the hour before dusk. I landed two thumpers in five casts. Hard going put persistence paid off.

The President.

Yeah GreyNurse, the hacking is really really slow at the moment, often is in the winter months when the cold clear water moves in. I find in winter in the hacking changing to larger heavier jigs (2.5 to 3 instead of 1.5 to 2 in summer) seems more productive because, just like you found, the squid seem to sit down bottom. Also the average size in winter seems larger and sometimes you'll get the big green eyes moving further into the system as well.

Rich

G'day Greynurse

Went to Bundeena ferry wharf last night for a session with the result being one nice size green eye and nothing else. As Rich (Mr Squidy) said not much happening ATM and with the Gymea baths closed for another renovation for the next couple of months if they do come on the bite i'm sure all wharfs will be crowded

Squidy

Guest Aussie007

G'day Raiders,

Just came back from Wally's Wharf at Dolan's Bay this evening. I was there last Friday evening for 4.5hrs for one small arrow squid. There was a nice Italian bloke on the pontoon polling for yakkas. He did OK. Very broad accent on the fellow, but we had a good chat, which made up for the poor squid result. He reckoned the squid have all but disappeared from Wally's Wharf. Except maybe for the summer days. He cheered when I landed the squid. :yahoo:

Tonight, I repeated the process, except that I was one my ownsome. One squid for 2.5 hrs casting about. In both cases, the squid were down deep off the front of the pontoon. The tides didn't seem to make a difference. Last week it was high, tonight it was low. The weed beds to the east were barren! Something else I noticed were the ducks that were swimming around the pontoon. I figured that it would be quiet when I saw them. There was certainly nothing that was threatening them from below. I was worried that they might go the squid jig, but they turned back when they saw the braid in front of them. Whew! Last thing I needed was to unhook a duck!

So there you go, Raiders. If you want squid, I think there's more productive places. If you fancy some nice duck.......

Anyone know any good land based spots for squid?

Cheers,

Nursie

all the squid hold around the moored yacht closes to the ramp or that mooring bouy middle of the tide or run in works best run out is just to much weed its a heavily fished spot wallys wharf in summer your touching elbows to get a spot :biggrin2:

• 11 months later...

I think because it's mating season for them now you will only find small ones. I went out to the hacking on Sunday and scored myself two average size squids, one about 15cm which I used as a livey and a massive arrow head. I found it to be more productive as the sun was going down, I pulled up 3 in 8 casts but I was also going deep and using a 2.5 squid jig.

I am thinking of going to La Perouse this weekend, do you guys think it will be worth it in scoring those big green eyed monsters :)

Cheers,

Zaki

Wally used to be pretty productive, I haven't been there for a while as its too far for me, but squidding there doesn't seem as rewarding as it used to be anymore. I have however witness two Asian blokes landing a 100~110mm Jewie right from the wharf at about 11PM at night (about 2~3 yrs ago), the shimmering silver beauty under the water was one of the most astonishing scenes I have ever seen, there's definitely monster Jewie at the wharf! :D

Wally used to be pretty productive, I haven't been there for a while as its too far for me, but squidding there doesn't seem as rewarding as it used to be anymore. I have however witness two Asian blokes landing a 100~110mm Jewie right from the wharf at about 11PM at night (about 2~3 yrs ago), the shimmering silver beauty under the water was one of the most astonishing scenes I have ever seen, there's definitely monster Jewie at the wharf! :D

10cm Jew? did they chuck him back :bleh:

Edited by filthmonger

• 1 year later...
Guest Aussie007

What are some of the best places for squid at the moment, i am thinking of doing some squidding with the old man this holidays so any info would be greatly appreciation.

port kembla is pretty good all year round u get stonker calimari's down that way but u wont be the only one fishing for them, the squid love the night lights at the end of the south breakwall, one of the best spots was the tug boat wharf but they blocked it off a few years ago and the harbour is pretty strict on where u can and cant go plus u cant anchor in there.