Help Needed Please

Rodb73

Hi Raiders,

I just recently purchased a 15ft Nautiglass 149 with a 93 Suzuki DT85 and I love it... I knew the boat had a couple of things to sort, (namely), the outboard!

The previous owner had attempted to change the exhaust gaskets and while he was there, thought he'd have a crack at the Head Gasket as well. Whilst doing this he broke several bolts in the process.

I'm fairly handy when it comes to tools and have the ability to fix the problem. BUT, (there's always a "but"), the problem i've come across is how to remove the bottom cowl/plate to access the very bottom bolt on the head gasket cover?

I plan on changing the impeller, (again, something I haven't done before, but i'll manage), so i guess I'm after whatever advice you guys might have on this please...

Thanks in advance and tight lines.

Rod.

I plan on changing the impeller, (again, something I haven't done before, but i'll manage), so i guess I'm after whatever advice you guys might have on this please...

Rod.

Hi Rod,

I changed the impeller on a late model DT30. It was very straight forward. There was a coupling at the front of the motor that un-threaded from the shift rod. Take note of which way the impeller turns and make sure you reinstall it facing the same way. When I did mine i took a few visual clues from watching some clips on You Tube.

Here are a couple of links to previous info on this site that may come in handy:

- http://www.fishraider.com.au/Invision/index.php?showtopic=62027&st=0&p=434726&hl=+suzuki%20+dt&fromsearch=1entry434726

- http://www.fishraider.com.au/Invision/index.php?showtopic=60691&st=0&p=427356&hl=+suzuki%20+dt&fromsearch=1entry427356

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Aussie007

Hi Raiders,

I just recently purchased a 15ft Nautiglass 149 with a 93 Suzuki DT85 and I love it... I knew the boat had a couple of things to sort, (namely), the outboard!

The previous owner had attempted to change the exhaust gaskets and while he was there, thought he'd have a crack at the Head Gasket as well. Whilst doing this he broke several bolts in the process.

I'm fairly handy when it comes to tools and have the ability to fix the problem. BUT, (there's always a "but"), the problem i've come across is how to remove the bottom cowl/plate to access the very bottom bolt on the head gasket cover?

Thanks in advance and tight lines.

Rod.

Rod thats a massive job snapped bolts on an outboard are the worse u will find the idea is when u snap one bolt u stop as they all will be seized and need heat to remove them your only option now is to drill every snapped bolt than heli coil the holes this is probably why the guy flogged the boat off as a outboard shop or engineering shop will charge u minimum $80 for each snapped bolt to drill out and heli coil and often its very time consuming if u have the patients give it ago ive tried it and screwed up the bolts are just so hard to drill and keep the drill bit centered and dont waste your time with "ezi outs" they just snap and there a harden steel bit once u snap one of these in a bolt u need to buy diamond tip drill bits to drill thru the harden steel

G'day Rod, Im a Rod too, part of the brotherhood you might say, I too had a DT85 Suzuki bit older than yours & had to do the Head gasket, most bolts seized, rang a few guys who all wanted the earth, ended up finding this guy at Birrong who I can not recommend highly enough, mobile guy but also works from home, absolute 1st class guy & job,basically if I took the boat to him which I did (im at Epping) alot cheaper, parked out the front of his house & he drilled the old bolts out easy as pie & then cleaned up all threads with a tap had all the gear & was done in about 1 hour for $100. This is all he does . Just looked him up, Thread-it-Right, cant remember his name. Mobile: 0418 615127. Give him a call & as I said alot cheaper if you go to him.I also have done the impellor , send me a pm if you want to talk more. Hope he is as good for you as he was for me :biggrin2:

G'day Rod, Im a Rod too, part of the brotherhood you might say, I too had a DT85 Suzuki bit older than yours & had to do the Head gasket, most bolts seized, rang a few guys who all wanted the earth, ended up finding this guy at Birrong who I can not recommend highly enough, mobile guy but also works from home, absolute 1st class guy & job,basically if I took the boat to him which I did (im at Epping) alot cheaper, parked out the front of his house & he drilled the old bolts out easy as pie & then cleaned up all threads with a tap had all the gear & was done in about 1 hour for $100. This is all he does . Just looked him up, Thread-it-Right, cant remember his name. Mobile: 0418 615127. Give him a call & as I said alot cheaper if you go to him.I also have done the impellor , send me a pm if you want to talk more. Hope he is as good for you as he was for me :biggrin2:

Hi Rod,

Thanks for the reply. I will definitely give this guy a call. I have been led to believe, (by several mechanics) that in order to get to the bottom head cover bolt, which is covered by the lower cowl, the power head has to come off. I have an average price for this now as being around $1,500.00 to remove the power head, drill out and repair the damaged bolts and put it all back together. Sounds a bit rich to me, but the powerhead is out of my realm of ability.

I will give this guy a buzz and see how he ends up for me.

Thanks again Rod

Rod.

Guest Aussie007

Hi Rod,

Thanks for the reply. I will definitely give this guy a call. I have been led to believe, (by several mechanics) that in order to get to the bottom head cover bolt, which is covered by the lower cowl, the power head has to come off. I have an average price for this now as being around $1,500.00 to remove the power head, drill out and repair the damaged bolts and put it all back together. Sounds a bit rich to me, but the powerhead is out of my realm of ability.

Thanks again Rod

Rod.

Rod not everyone is mechanically minded but removing the powerhead in one go is pretty simple if u know how to unbolt the cylinder head u will be able to unbolt the powerhead under the lower cowling cover on the sides u will see 8 bolts 4 on each side all u need to do is unbolt these than lift the whole powerhead off all the electricals and carby etc.. will all come off as one piece connected to the powerhead just remember not to snap anymore bolts use a LPG gas torch or a oxy acetylene torch to heat the metal before undoing the bolts

$1500 is probably what your engine is worth the reason the last owner would have gotten rid of it

Hi Gazza,

Thanks for the reply, that has given me some hope. I was thinking in order to remove the power head, there would have been electronics, pipes and hoses to be concerned about.

In doing so, would there be any obscure gaskets etc I will need to put it back together, other than the head & exhaust gasket? Also, plan on changing the thermostat while I'm there.

Thanks again for everyone's advice. With every nice day we have, it makes me keener to get this fixed and get out there.

Cheers Rod.

Guest Aussie007

Hi Gazza,

Thanks for the reply, that has given me some hope. I was thinking in order to remove the power head, there would have been electronics, pipes and hoses to be concerned about.

In doing so, would there be any obscure gaskets etc I will need to put it back together, other than the head & exhaust gasket? Also, plan on changing the thermostat while I'm there.

Thanks again for everyone's advice. With every nice day we have, it makes me keener to get this fixed and get out there.

Cheers Rod.

your engine wire harness should have one big ass single connection just unconnect it and there is a gasket between the powerhead and mid section

Pre happs before pulling any thing apart it might be worth taking some up close photo's tgat you can refer to if required come time to reassemble. Also you may consider placing bolts in zip lock bags to make it easier to identify what goes where on reassembly.

Guest Aussie007

Pre happs before pulling any thing apart it might be worth taking some up close photo's tgat you can refer to if required come time to reassemble. Also you may consider placing bolts in zip lock bags to make it easier to identify what goes where on reassembly.

+1

Thanks, I've taken a few photos and started to size things up. It all looks achievable. I think I might start to tackle it this weekend. I can take an engine out of a car, so shorly this can't beat me.

Thanks all

Edited by Rodb

Guest Aussie007

Thanks, I've taken a few photos and started to size things up. It all looks achievable. I think I might start to tackle it thus weekend. I can take an engine out of a car, so shorly this can't beat me.

Thanks all

if u get stuck take a picture of what your stuck on post it here and tell us what u need done and someone will point it out and walk u thru it

I have a few jobs on my outboard to do, Ive only attempted to undo one bolt and snapped off :( im dreading touching anymore

Make sure when u put it back together Rod use Never Seize grease all all your threads

Hi Rod,

Thanks again Rod

Rod.

How did you go Rod, any joy ?

Hi mate,

Unfortunately not yet. I've ordered some "Alden Drill-outs", which I'm led to believe work well on removing broken bolts. So, as soon as they arrive, I'll be giving them a go.

I'll keep you posted.

Cheers Rod

Guest Aussie007

Hi mate,

Unfortunately not yet. I've ordered some "Alden Drill-outs", which I'm led to believe work well on removing broken bolts. So, as soon as they arrive, I'll be giving them a go.

I'll keep you posted.

Cheers Rod

good luck when a outboard bolt on old engine snaps its well and truly stuck i hope u didnt pay an arm and a leg for the drill outs?

what u could do is goto bunnings and grab a center drill bit drill a pilot hole in each of the bolts drill the bolts out with a larger drill bit than retap the hole u just need to be patient as the bolts seem super tough to drill and its easy to wonder off center

good luck when a outboard bolt on old engine snaps its well and truly stuck i hope u didnt pay an arm and a leg for the drill outs?

what u could do is goto bunnings and grab a center drill bit drill a pilot hole in each of the bolts drill the bolts out with a larger drill bit than retap the hole u just need to be patient as the bolts seem super tough to drill and its easy to wonder off center

If you go this route ( more then likely you will ) make sure you buy some good drill bits and use a little bit of cutting fluid to reduce the friction as those old bolts are usually tuffer then nails.

Hi mate,

I'll keep you posted.

Cheers Rod

Sorry mate but I think your doing the wrong thing, did you ring that guy I suggested ? Took it to him, 1 hour later all done perfectly, this is all he does all day everyday,drilled them out, no need for helicoils,no stuffed threads, all too easy.As stated by others drilling them out yourself is incredibly hard & I hate to say I reckon will cost you more in the long run, but good luck

Sorry mate but I think your doing the wrong thing, did you ring that guy I suggested ? Took it to him, 1 hour later all done perfectly, this is all he does all day everyday,drilled them out, no need for helicoils,no stuffed threads, all too easy.As stated by others drilling them out yourself is incredibly hard & I hate to say I reckon will cost you more in the long run, but good luck

Hi,

I was wanting to try the Alden Drill-Outs, just to see if they were any good. Tried one today and their useless. I did speak to the guy you mentioned. He's got a bit on at the moment, so it'll be another couple of weeks before he can look at it. I'll let you know how he goes..

Cheers Rod.