The New Yak

Guest leisureman

Guest leisureman

Hi Raider's,

Here is a pic of the new "yak" which i hope will mean an increase in fish.

Already plans for a 24lb thrust watersnake electric motor on the back.

Since new to the kayak thing, would love any tips or hints from any one that also has one?

Cheers

post-23866-059720800 1343976094_thumb.jpg

Hi mate,

congrats on the new yak! I'm picking up my first yak in a week so can share your excitement. They're a very good alternative to a boat! Looks like yours is a tandem but still looks awesome for fishing. If no one is on it with you then you could use it as a storage area. If you get a little sounder for it that would dramatically help you fishing wise! That's what i'm doing at least!

Cheers, Tom

Guest leisureman

Hi Tom,

Yes one day a Pro Angler 12 but this was the right price and a good place to start.Thinking of putting downrigger and watersnake electric motor on a board behind my seat for easy access.Also a fish finder/sounder is on the list. Have never owned a sounder, do the cheaper models work ok? Tried Roseville the other arvo but only managed to lose a squidgy tail. nice area there out of the wind. Also tried Broken bay(got soaked) and Mannering park at Lake Macquarie. Still getting my balance and getting used to the setup.Definately getting an anchor kit for it as well. Very keen to hit the dropover at Swansea for some big crocs on live poddys and plastics this spring! Have been looking at the fishraider stickers so can be recognized but will keep an eye out for you on the water! Cheers Leon aka leisureman

Yeah mate,

Roseville should fire up say September onwards for most species. There are some nice fish there still but hard to tempt! Downrigger is a great idea! Might do the same once i nail squidding. Watersnake should work well too!

Yeah mate,

Roseville should fire up say September onwards for most species. There are some nice fish there still but hard to tempt! Downrigger is a great idea! Might do the same once i nail squidding. Watersnake should work well too!

Off topic here but thank you, thank you mack for tidying up your sig detail :thumbup::biggrin2:

Congrats on getting your new yak - you will have many happy hours fishing out of it. HOWEVER ....... take time out BEFORE adding the leccie, to get used to it as a paddle yak. It is important that you start out in calm conditions & learn how your yak handles before getting in to heavy wind or strong current situations. When you put a leccie on it, it could change the dynamics of your yak bigtime. I would NEVER recommend going offshore with a leccie. The wave chop & the speed with which conditions change would make it too dangerous.

There are heaps of reasonably priced FFs out there just now - I have a Garmin 300C that is pretty good - colour screen too.

Always make sure you have good life jackets on all the time & have waterproof communications with you. If possible, fish with others, until you are totally comfortable with your setup & even then, go with your gut feelings - if it looks grotty, don't go out. You should also practise 'flipping your yak' and 'righting' it again (without fishing gear on it) so you know that you can ....... and always make sure that your gear is secure whilst on the water - tether it, or you could lose it.

Be careful with your anchor setup - most of us have a sliding setup so that you can adjust the position of the anchor, relative to the current & conditions - but be aware to NEVER set your anchor from the rear of the yak. If a boat goes by with a big wake, or as the tide rises (thereby shortening the line) it can actually pull the rear of the yak underwater, sinking you - and not noticed by the occupant til it is too late.

Best thing is to get together with other experienced yakkers & go out with them - it is the best way to learn all the tricks re yak fishing - or sign up for a yak safety course.

Good luck & have fun

Roberta

Guest leisureman

Hi Roberta,

Thanks for the info. I seriously doubt we would go offshore as it is sit on top style. I have been looking at others but this is a good entry point. In light winds the other day was also able to stand and cast. I was surprised how steady it is. Was looking at the Salt's running anchor rig and the electric would be mostly to get back to the start of the drift faster & as i am only getting a small battery to minimise weight, therefore will be paddle assisted where possible to save charge. A downrigger on the opposite side on a detachable board behind the rear seat should maintain good balance. What are your thoughts on tiny sails and also sea anchors as well? Ideally most of my time will be spent chasing flathead this summer with hopefully some good other species thrown in! Cheers Leon

Good on ya, Leon - always regard the battery as 'backup power' especially in case of emergencies - the smaller batteries obviously will provide less 'use time'. The 'sit on top' yaks are the most popular for offshore these days, as they are encapsulated, whereas sit in yaks - you also need a 'skirt' to make them waterproof, which prevents you from accessing storage area for your gear. You don't see many 'sit in' fishing yaks offshore these days, only 'exercise' junkies!

For easier 're-entry' some now tie a rope with a handle onto one side, so that when/if overturned in the water, you just toss the rope across the hull, duck around to the other side, grab the handle & even using your feet against the hull of the yak for extra 'purchase', pull it back onto the right side up & then climb on board, stomach first, only rolling over once your rear is in the centre of the yak. The handle of the rope can also be used as a 'step' to get back in, as it is applying opposite pressure to the weight of you getting into the yak.

I made a drogue made out of a supermarket cloth Shopping bag, with wire around the top ..... it works fine for my 3m yak. A bigger yak may need a proper drogue/sea anchor. Once again, I attach mine to my anchor trolley so that I can decide what angle is best suited on the day ( I have my anchor trolley going from handle to handle, so I didn't have to drill any more holes in to the side!)

Good idea for the downrigger to offset the extra weight from the leccie. Safety is paramount!

Small sails are good - Google Youtube for DIY Kakak Sail - one bloke has even made one out of what looks like a 'cafe all-weather plastic blind'! One of the more popular is in a "V" shape (widest at the top) that is easy to collapse & put up with a decent rope system. One bloke I know even just uses a hand held umbrella! 074.gif

You'll have fun chasing flatties & other species!

Cheers

Roberta

Guest leisureman

Thanks Roberta,

My business is Blinds & Awnings so will look into the PVC Sails.I can probably get them manufactured cheaply through my suppliers.

Thanks again for the information.Most helpful.

Cheers,