last minute fishing in jindabyne

cameldownunder

Hi,

Been a while since I've been down there. But, get some scrub worms from tackle shop and a can of corn from supermarket. Pick a spot around the lake with a bit of structure like rocks, weed beds or dead trees. Burley with the corn and fish with a VERY light runing sinker rig and small hook with 2 worms. Leave bail arm open, wet a small bit of paper and put on line near end of rod. If you get a bite you will see the paper run out. Wait til you get a strong run then set hook. You can drive down to the lake opposite the entrance to the trout hatchery, the boat ramp down below the shell servo or try the rocks below the bowling club. Good luck........

Dave

Casting lures from the bank early morning. The trout come into the shallows early morning/first light and feed. Cast blade lures, Celtas and tassies. The longer the day goes on the deeper out they go. Early morning you should be able to see some fish surfacing and cast these areas. Nice spot just around from the snowline park Near turn off to Thredbo called Hatchery bay, you can drive there with picnic tables and toilets and there is heaps of bays and points to walk casting lures. Let us know how you go aye.

Dave

Thanks very much for the tips.

So Saturday, we left our lodge, and when it was boys time, my son and I went to the tackle shop, got better main line, and scrub worms as suggested, and also smaller hooks. Then changed rig (setting new line and smaller hooks) to our kiddy reels on our Shakespear rods.

We did drive a bit around to find an inspiring place, passed a few canguroos (dead and alive) and parked the car. Had a few casts and also a nibble. Then I saw a tree in the water, so off we went for a walk on the lake shore.

After 10 mins walking, a quick cast next to the tree, and just a few seconds later .... BANG !! Could not believe that something did take the bait. First I thought it might be a nice little one (as we had "only" 5lbs breaking line), then it went left, then right. I kept the rod very high at all time, not to snag in some weed on the banks. Then a majestic leap out of the water. once the fish was close to shore i Had to literally drag it out og the water. We could not believe what we saw ... big fat trout ( my guess ), more then 50cm in length.

We still have a smile on pur faces. Thnks again !

(Is it a trout?)

post-11890-004545400 1344163805_thumb.jpg

Bugger me, yes its a Trout (kinda). Its a Brook Trout, (they are actually a Char, same family though) and they are the Trout hardest to find in Australia. I have spent decades trying to get one and you go and catch one first time! Excellent effort :thumbup:

Nice fat fish, what bait did it take?

Cheers

Windy

Mate,

Best option is probably to spin using either Tassie devil lures or rapala minnows. Walk the shore and see how you go. Tassie devils cast better and you will therefore be able to cover more ground. Drop in to Steve Willaimsons shop and he should be able to assist (if open). You can also bait fish using mudeyes but it is a bit fiddly if you dont know how to rig them.

Duckegg

Thanks very much for the tips.

So Saturday, we left our lodge, and when it was boys time, my son and I went to the tackle shop, got better main line, and scrub worms as suggested, and also smaller hooks. Then changed rig (setting new line and smaller hooks) to our kiddy reels on our Shakespear rods.

We did drive a bit around to find an inspiring place, passed a few canguroos (dead and alive) and parked the car. Had a few casts and also a nibble. Then I saw a tree in the water, so off we went for a walk on the lake shore.

After 10 mins walking, a quick cast next to the tree, and just a few seconds later .... BANG !! Could not believe that something did take the bait. First I thought it might be a nice little one (as we had "only" 5lbs breaking line), then it went left, then right. I kept the rod very high at all time, not to snag in some weed on the banks. Then a majestic leap out of the water. once the fish was close to shore i Had to literally drag it out og the water. We could not believe what we saw ... big fat trout ( my guess ), more then 50cm in length.

We still have a smile on pur faces. Thnks again !

(Is it a trout?)

thats a whopper of a brookie you got there mate.

good job and dont forget it as thats an outstanding capture,

Thanks to all for the comments and the tips. I didnt have much hope. Both my son and I are still in shock, and look at the pictures every day. It made my week in Jindy unforgettable.

Your comments about this fish made me and my son even more proud then what we were when we caught it. I still have to finish eating the trout: Made dinner on the day, then in pasta with cream for lunch on monday, then smoked and sandwich today, and to finish another sandwich tomorrow. It is going to be one of those stories I will tell over and over, of course mentioning fishraider that helped me catching this precious fish and moment. (P.S. I smoked it on Sunday )

Thanks to all for the comments and the tips. I didnt have much hope. Both my son and I are still in shock, and look at the pictures every day. It made my week in Jindy unforgettable.

Your comments about this fish made me and my son even more proud then what we were when we caught it. I still have to finish eating the trout: Made dinner on the day, then in pasta with cream for lunch on monday, then smoked and sandwich today, and to finish another sandwich tomorrow. It is going to be one of those stories I will tell over and over, of course mentioning fishraider that helped me catching this precious fish and moment. (P.S. I smoked it on Sunday )

You better add a trout PB to your list of best captures aye. Its good asset to your captures.

Edited by Dfishin

AWESOME BROOKIE TROUT - I reckon that could even be a Raider Record?? There is only Brown Trout on bait, so far, in the record section!! I don't suppose you got a pic with a ruler?? Swordie may be prepared to 'guestimate' the length - such a fat fish!

http://www.fishraider.com.au/Invision/index.php?showforum=22&prune_day=100&sort_by=A-Z&sort_key=title&topicfilter=all&st=90

Congratulations on a superb PB Brook Trout!!

Roberta