Bonito and Mac Tuna

adkel53

Have had a couple of good days chasing bonito and mac tuna out of Botany Bay this last week. Fished alone one day for 10 bonnies and 2 mac tuna. Double hookups on the two rods were the norm. Managed to land 9 bonnies from 5 double hookups. :thumbup: The trick is to keep trolling at the same speed for a bit after the first hookup and then to keep the boat idling forward while you land the first fish before touching the second rod. Hectic but lots of fun.

Backed up in a friends boat this morning and we managed 10 mac tuna and 5 bonnies, dropping a few more. One mac tuna that had been fought to within about 10 metres of the boat grabbed another lure as it was being retrieved. One greedy (and dumb?) fish. Those little tunas are fun on light gear, fighting hard all the way to the boat. These fish are destined to be shark or marlin baits at a later date.

You need to be out there early. On both days the action was over by 9.00am. I did not try any deeper diving minnows to see if that might extend the bite. Caught enough trolling surface lures.

Tight lines.

Kel

Mack Tuna off Sydney in Winter??? Sure they weren't big frigates? Even frigates are unusualt at this time of year.. How big were the mack tuna? Nice haul of bonnies though :thumbup:

I know it sounds strange but I'm sure they were mackerel tuna. They had distinct dark spots above the pectoral fins on each side which, I believe, frigates don't have. http://www.daff.qld.gov.au/28_14908.htm Also "rounder" than any frigates I've caught before. They were around a kilo each at a guess - maybe a little more. We did not measure or weigh any. No photos either. The water is a shade over 18 degrees close in out there. Is that warm for this time of year?

They are mack tuna. Large schools have been around for the past month off the rocks. The three back spots give them away.

Yeah, definitely mack tuna! Surely that isn't normal for Sydney at this time of year? I thought they were rare enough in summer let alone winter!

Well done!

Nothing wrong with Bonnies on the BBQ or as bait!

In close or out wide?

Stayed in close but my guess is that they are widespread. Spewing out whitebait from about 30mm to 80mm long. I reckon they will be wherever the bait is.

Yeah, definitely mack tuna! Surely that isn't normal for Sydney at this time of year? I thought they were rare enough in summer let alone winter!

I agree I thought it would be way too cold for Mack tuna now down here oh well you learn something new everyday

Mack Tuna off Sydney in Winter??? Sure they weren't big frigates? Even frigates are unusualt at this time of year.. How big were the mack tuna? Nice haul of bonnies though :thumbup:

We caught a frigate off north head a few weekends ago, huge schools of salmon around as well, looking like its going to be a good summer of fishing coming up!

We caught a frigate off north head a few weekends ago, huge schools of salmon around as well, looking like its going to be a good summer of fishing coming up!

Can't wait! Apparently its going to be a hot summer too! Water temps are going to be quite high as well! Maybe we'll get a few Longtail Tuna and Spaniards coming down! :biggrin2:

I can't wait for the summer currents to push Down. If the Spaniards and spotties come down again ill be a happy man. Long tails to and I'm pretty sure the missus will leave me for spending to much time on the stones and to much money on gear.