Fishing pittwater

adzo64

Hi everyone, I'm new to the fish raider scene and was hoping to get some advice from fellow fanatics! I'm, looking at gaining some knowledge of pittwater. I've been out a few times and had some success with bream and tailor on nippers at sand point. I now want to step it up and chase some snapper and kingies. I've gone and bought myself a squid jig and a few yakka rigs along with a baitrunner combo to handle the bigger fellers. So I'm after some advice on live bait grounds and methods as well as a few locations and techniques for catching snapper and kingies. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks!

Hi mate,

Pittwaters a great spot when you figure it out. Definitely try and get some yakkas and squid. West head for yakkas (very easy 95% of the time here) but burley is required. Anchor around 60m off the old pillbox on the cliffs. Squid in similar area. Basin and Palm Beach weed beds for squid are worth a shot. West head itself can be a gun spot. Winter has salmon, tailor, bream, snapper and trevally. In summer kings, salmon, bonnies, jewfish and bream. Unweighted pillies go well here too. My "Spot x" would have to be stokes pt. Southern point of careel bay. Great in winter for big flatties, bream, salmon and trevally. In summer kings, flatties, bream and people have caught school jew here too. Live yakkas are gun with pilli fillets and prawns. Burley helps too!

Other spots worth a look are Taylors Point, Basin, Portequese Beach/Coasters Retreat, Barrenjoey Head and Scotland Island. Some times you have to find the fish. If you don't get any fish within 1/2 hour then move onto another spot. Keep at it and you'll get some ripper fish! Flint n Steel reef at the entrance to the hawkesbury is worth a look too for kings and jews.

Cheers, Tom

Thanks tom, am heading out on Saturday, I will put the boat in at sand point lane and head straight across to get some yakkas hopefully at the pillar box.. Do you think bread will do as a burley? I have some of those yakka rigs to put bread balls on for bait. Thanks for your help!

Hey Adzo64,

My favorite really easy yakka burley is I get a cheap white loaf and then put enough cold water and a dash of fish oil into the bag the bread comes in to make a mash. I work it through with my hands until it is all mushed into bits and then separate it into three portions. Put them in the freezer and take one of them frozen with you fishing, I put it in one of those fabric mesh washing bags and hang it over the side of the boat but you could just throw it in your burley bucket if you have one. Because its frozen you get a nice constant burley trail an they love it. So do I cos it's cheap as.,,,

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks tom, am heading out on Saturday, I will put the boat in at sand point lane and head straight across to get some yakkas hopefully at the pillar box.. Do you think bread will do as a burley? I have some of those yakka rigs to put bread balls on for bait. Thanks for your help!

Bread should be ok.. i prefer a mix of bread, pellets and bits of prawn/pilli. A little bit of fish oil is good but don't put in too much. This will make the yakkas think a school of tuna is around and they'll go into shut down mode. Bait jigs are the go with a tiny bit of prawn or pilli on every second hook. Handlines with tiny hooks and same baits are ok too.... Might be a tad wet and windy tomorrow though...

Bread would be fine. Once you get them going they should practically jump into your live bait tank at West Head. Only problem I find with them their is that they tend to be on the large side and a lot of fish won't touch the bigger ones.

Matt

Bread should be ok.. i prefer a mix of bread, pellets and bits of prawn/pilli. A little bit of fish oil is good but don't put in too much. This will make the yakkas think a school of tuna is around and they'll go into shut down mode. Bait jigs are the go with a tiny bit of prawn or pilli on every second hook. Handlines with tiny hooks and same baits are ok too.... Might be a tad wet and windy tomorrow though...

^ agreed, this whole weekend will be a write off for fishing in Sydney

Bread would be fine. Once you get them going they should practically jump into your live bait tank at West Head. Only problem I find with them their is that they tend to be on the large side and a lot of fish won't touch the bigger ones.

Matt

Have to agree about them being large... Most are between 20 and 30cm with a few over 35cm too! First thing in the morning and dusk will help with the smaller ones. If you put in a good half hour you should still get plenty of 12-15cm ones!

Edited by mack attack 79

Thanks everyone, can't wait 2 give all the tips a go.I would have 2 agree, the weather isn't looking good though....

If your still wanting to get out then there's still a few places that may be out of the wind. The southern shores of careel bay and the basin are an option. Mainly trevs and flatties in careel but the basin has John Dory and Salmon that will readily take a live yakka. Unless its dangerous, i'd still put the hard yards in and have a go for yakkas at west head. If there's a break in the wind then try out Stokes Point. Don't want to jinx it but everytime i fish it i get a good catch.