Warragamba Damn Please Read!

zaki10

Hey guys,

I'm thinking of getting into trout fishing and I was looking in the daily telegraph, apparently you can catch rainbow & brown trout in the water systems around Warragamba damn. Is this true? If so where would I be successful and if not where could I go to fish these species? I live in wetherill park nsw so somewhere near there would be good :)

Thank you!

Hey guys,

I'm thinking of getting into trout fishing and I was looking in the daily telegraph, apparently you can catch rainbow & brown trout in the water systems around Warragamba damn. Is this true? If so where would I be successful and if not where could I go to fish these species? I live in wetherill park nsw so somewhere near there would be good :)

Thank you!

Mate,

It's not a regular thing, a solid amount of numbers came over the dam wall this year with the floods. Normally they are not in the system because they can't survive the higher summer water temps and if they do they are in really bad condition. If you are going to go I would go very soon as once the water temps slowly increase they will die off. I have had two cracks at them this winter but have had no success. I know a few people that had some good sessions a week or two after the flooding when they were concentrated in the upper areas of the Nepean. I'd say they would be well spread throught the system now so numbers would be thin. I did hear of people getting them land based down at the weir.

Matt

Thanks heaps matt really appreciate it :) so you can't even get them around Penrith lakes in summer at all? Is that what you're saying as well.

Thanks

Zac

I'd really doubt there would be any in the Penrith Lakes area because that is past the weir. Any areas up stream of the weir is your best chance. They are not a regular fish in the system so this winter (or what's left) would be your only chance of getting one until the next lot of floods come through. I'm not saying you won't get one in summer but I really don't like your chances. There is not really any deep water areas in the Nepean for the trout to hide in cooler water during summer and survive. I reackon they will all die off this summer.

Matt

Oh ok fair enough then. So the best time is to go out and hit them now before it starts getting a lot warmer and there will be nothing left. Where do you usually go for trout, anything you can suggest?

except that it is the closed season for trout in "designated trout streams" until October 2nd. You can still fish for them in dams and other rivers. The streams downstream of Warragamba dam appear to be open all year for trout - if there are any there! Best to check with NSW Fisheries if you're not sure.