Heavy Jig Outfit?

Red

Fishraiders,

Just after your opinions/experiences to help me decide. I'm in the market for a heavy jig outfit and will go for a T-Curve 400 jig rod but still undecided when it comes to overhead or spin reels. This outfit won't be cheap, so i'm looking to get it right first time. Reels i'm looking at are either Stella 20000FA or Trinidad 40N. Which way would you go guys?

Red

Hi,

I got a Spheros 12000 reel and a T-Curve Jig Stick 37kg... i have 60lb Diawa braid on there (i think) it is colour coded as well...

whole thing cost me $600 or so i think i havnt used it heaps as other things have come up recently which equals not as much fishing, but am keen as to really get into it again soon!!! New boat will make it good as well :1naughty:

Combo is good... Jigs arnt too expensive and I use owner hooks for all the jigs i have...

whether you go over head or spin is personal preference i think... which ever suits you better...

Wayne

I went with the trinidad purely cause shimano have a combo sale on at the moment with the 400 Tcurve rod. Think ABA had it at the show (some left over I am sure) around $700 for both. Saltiga and Stella are better but double the price. Another option to look at in the spin model is the Spheros 14000/Tcurve combo at around $450. Tough heavy duty spin reel and rod for the $$, sold a heap of them at the show.

It depends on where you plan to do your jigging. Off sydney we don't have plagues of 30kg kings and amberjacks so stellas and trinidads aren't needed, a spheros or torium would do the job perfectly for a lifetime.

I'm considering a similar outfit at the moment, still can't decide if I want to go for spin or overhead...

For spin there's really only 2 options, Stella or Saltiga.

Overhead is a lot more complicated, I'm personally favouring some of the Avet range as I can't fault my Avet LX at all, but then again the Shimano Torsa is being released next month...

57637[/snapback]

How does your Avet perform Swoff ? is it a lever drag ? Heard some good things about them.

Does anyone know what the Torsa's are roughly going to retail at ?

There are a few on ebay that are going for about $600 - $700 US...

Easy from my perspective: TRINIDAD. I'll never get over the uncomfortable feeling of that little right angle between bail roller and spool when a decent fish is on. This is, however, a personal preference: I use spinning reels only when I CAN'T use an overhead. I've had way, way fewer problems with the good old revolving spool, and they feel way better when a fish is on.

Still, you're looking at top gear in either category, so I doubt whether you'll be disappointed!

I use spinning reels only when I CAN'T use an overhead.

57705[/snapback]

Warpig, i feel the same way about my beloved overheads mate. They are the reel of choice for the purist :thumbup:, no annoying right angles and line twist plus much more fun to use......particularly small baitcasters.

Bashir, the outfit will be used in Cairns and we are hoping to mix it with some serious fish, therefore quality is paramount. After the Cairns trip, the outfit will most probably be advertised on this forum as we have no plans to start jigging small kings off sydney.

Had heard afew whispers that the Trinidads tended to wobble a bit, which is what prompted this thread, but hopefully a gimbal should take care of this. A mate of mine bought the Stella 20000FA for this reason but then again, he is an eggbeater man through and through. As a bonus, the Trinidad is less than half the price of the big Stella :yahoo:

Red

Guest Jocool

It was interesting to see the Avet's advertised in an Australian magazine this week. I didn't think they had a distributor here.