Botany Bay kingfish

Shed1

Hi Raiders,

Looking to catch my first kingie this summer and starting to look at what I'm going to need to perhaps target them with soft plastics and live baits as far as rod/reel goes. I've been looking at shimano tcurve rods with a Stella or Saragossa spinning reel. From what I've read and seen here will probably need 40-60 lb braid. Can someone help me out with suggestions for rod and reel models?

Cheers

Steve

Edited by Shed1

The T-Curve King Mack spin 8-12 kg is a great rod. Sells for around $250 but worth the cash :thumbup: Reel wise, the stella really is the rolls royce (along with the saltiga). In my opinion i wouldn't get a Stella SW unless i was targeting GT's up north. The saragosa is a very good compromise. Handles kings perfectly and is a tough reel. Match it up to between 50lb and 80lb braid and away you go.

Cheers, Tom

1344818525[/url]' post='453322']

The T-Curve King Mack spin 8-12 kg is a great rod. Sells for around $250 but worth the cash :thumbup: Reel wise, the stella really is the rolls royce (along with the saltiga). In my opinion i wouldn't get a Stella SW unless i was targeting GT's up north. The saragosa is a very good compromise. Handles kings perfectly and is a tough reel. Match it up to between 50lb and 80lb braid and away you go.

Cheers, Tom

Thanks Tom,

Sounds like the way to go with the rod. Might look at matching it with the saragosa 14000f.

No need to convince me it's worth the cash but if u could run it past the "accountant" for me..... While your doing that maybe u could convince her that we could use a new "fishing platform".

CheersSteve

:

I'd go a heavier shimano terez over the king mack spin. 8-12kg is alright but doesn't hurt to go heavy when targeting kings, some thing in the 80-100lb range would knock over most fish without too much trouble. Price is around the same possibly a little over 250.

Are you land based or boat? I fish both for kings. I know a lot of people say don't buy a Stella its to much money but in my opinion if you can afford it get it. I love mine and you will have it for ever if you look after it.

A 10000 Stella should handle most Sydney kings with 50lb braid. The 18000 and 20000 are great for real big kings but the are big and bulky. Particularly if your planning to throw lures.

Rod wise the tcurve are great rods I've got 3. There's a 7'3" 10-15kg one that I fish 50lb braid through and its great heavy lure rod. I use jigging rods for live baiting for kings but abit short for asking plastics.

1344846517[/url]' post='453357']

Are you land based or boat? I fish both for kings. I know a lot of people say don't buy a Stella its to much money but in my opinion if you can afford it get it. I love mine and you will have it for ever if you look after it.

A 10000 Stella should handle most Sydney kings with 50lb braid. The 18000 and 20000 are great for real big kings but the are big and bulky. Particularly if your planning to throw lures.

Rod wise the tcurve are great rods I've got 3. There's a 7'3" 10-15kg one that I fish 50lb braid through and its great heavy lure rod. I use jigging rods for live baiting for kings but abit short for asking plastics.

We are boat fishing. Wasn't sure on rod length for the plastics. I guess I'm looking for one rod that will fit the bill for live bait and casting lures/sp's. I guess I'm looking for some middle ground between the 7'3" and a jigging rod. We've fished freshwater for years in the snowy and got by comfortably with two rods each (trolling & spinning) but this year decided to try and make a bit more use of the boat and try Botany as its closer to home but we seem to be collecting a huge variety of rods/reels. Far to many species to target on the bay. At least with the snowy it's trout or trout!

Settled on a couple of sp spin rods with baitrunners for the smaller lighter gear but keen to target the kingies. I did tangle with one last summer jigging with my heavier trout trolling gear but apart from a glimpse boat side the arrogant bugger looked at the net and tore that gear apart!

CheersSteve

If your going two rods the tcurve jig stick are awesome. For plastics something around 7foot. Just look for something light but still powerful enough. A day casting lure of heavy gear can take it out of you the lighter the outfit the more comfortable it will be to use.