carp session nepean

nat

Was stinging to wet a line last week & the only opportunity that presented itself was on friday.. Yuk!! so the boat stayed in the garage & I headed down the river with my carp tackle.

Hadn't tried carp fishing in the cooler months & wasn't sure what to expect?? After My recent form of a couple of donuts & the odd fish busting me off or spitting me out up the georges I was starting to doubt my mojo would ever come back. After an hour of chilling out & keeping out of the wind I had my first bite WHACK! yeah baby! my first fish was the smallest of the three caught & surprisingly gave me the most curry.

I fought this fish for a good 3 or 4 minutes. After a half dozen good runs I managed to lip grip the bugger, Which I might ad isn't easy on your own. Mojo coming back??

Yep! In the next 40 minutes I nailed 2 more each one bigger than the next. I didnt have anything to measure them with only the scales in my lip grippers. The biggest went 4.5 kilos. By the time little bro got there they went off the chew. Oh well it was a great little sesh for me boosting my confidence levels back up again. I was using sweet corn on a size 1 gamakatsu octopus hook, size one sinker with about a meter of 16lbs leader & 10lbs braid. Seems to me these fish go harder in the cold?? Is it just me or is this the case??

post-12031-055383000 1344819831_thumb.jpgpost-12031-032163800 1344819845_thumb.jpgpost-12031-096684200 1344819855_thumb.jpg

Is there a reason why you need to use tiny hooks for carp? They get spooked easily?

Would a size 1/0 be too big?

They just work better given tehh structure of the carp's mouth as well as the fact that they are cunning little so and so's.

Also OP I found you a little something :074:

http://www.abc.net.au/local/stories/2012/01/12/3407056.htm

Edited by Shannan Nath

Nice work looks like you had fun, I'm curious to try carp. I know in Asia and Europe its sought after for it's taste. I want to take my son carp fishing one day is there any family friendly spots on the nepean?

Tight lines,

Shakeel

Guest hawkesbass

CARP MAKE A GOOD STOCK FOR FISH SOUPS CHARLIE A HUNGARIAN FRIEND OF MINE USES THE CARP TO CREATE THE STOCK FIRST THEN ADDS IN THE VEGIES AND THE OTHER SPECIES OF FISH TO EAT COMES OUT TASTING REAL GOOD

Nice work looks like you had fun, I'm curious to try carp. I know in Asia and Europe its sought after for it's taste. I want to take my son carp fishing one day is there any family friendly spots on the nepean?

Tight lines,

Shakeel

there is supposed to be a few carp in the lake at harrington park, very family friendly. Walking track around the lake & a couple of kids playgrounds.

Nice catch mate, might have to pay Toongabbie Creek a visit.

not sure if i would make a fish stock as suggested in this forum out of a Toony 3 eyed carp , but i have seen some big ones around the back of the Baxter factory on Oaks rd that would probably give a hell of a fight,good luck anyway :1fishing1:

CARP MAKE A GOOD STOCK FOR FISH SOUPS CHARLIE A HUNGARIAN FRIEND OF MINE USES THE CARP TO CREATE THE STOCK FIRST THEN ADDS IN THE VEGIES AND THE OTHER SPECIES OF FISH TO EAT COMES OUT TASTING REAL GOOD

I reckon they make good land fill :074:

If you are keen there are tonnes of them next to the Parramatta river theatre.

Guest hawkesbass

I reckon they make good land fill :074:

If you are keen there are tonnes of them next to the Parramatta river theatre.

i know all the usual carp haunts and get plenty off them as for the soup europeans love em as i said my hungarian friend uses the carp for the stock then adds trout as the fish you eat