Sounder for the Yak

rjc123

Hi raiders,

looking for a sounder for the new yak (PA 12). Ideally it needs to be;

- Colour

- Tough/Durable

- Suitable for a yak

- Decent quality but at a reasonable price

Not going overboard with the sounder as i'm needing some cash to get other extras like livewells, Anchor kits etc... Any tips/suggestions would be great :thumbup:

Cheers, Tom

Guest leisureman

Congrats on getting the new yak mate. I was recommended a Garmin 300c sounder by another raider for my yak. Recently got the Watersnake with 24lb thrust and mounted it with room for the downrigger on the other side. Hoping to get sounder soon too. Getting an anchor for it, which stlye would you suggest? Let me know when you all settled and come for a paddle with myself and my mate. :thumbup:

Congrats on getting the new yak mate. I was recommended a Garmin 300c sounder by another raider for my yak. Recently got the Watersnake with 24lb thrust and mounted it with room for the downrigger on the other side. Hoping to get sounder soon too. Getting an anchor for it, which stlye would you suggest? Let me know when you all settled and come for a paddle with myself and my mate. :thumbup:

Almost can't sleep im that excited! Only a week til i can pick it up. I'll check out the Garmin 300c for sure. Sounds like yours is coming along nicely. I'll have to look into a downrigger at some stage too. I'd like to get an anchor as well but not sure about how it will work... I have seen on other yaks a pully system with rope running the perimeters but looks a little messy and complicated for my liking. If your fishing shallow water (less than 2 meters) then there is a "Stakeout Pole" that can be stuck into the ground and hold you in position.

Cheers, Tom

Hi Tom

WOOHOO!! Bet you can't wait! Shame you didn't have it already, you could have joined me on Sat/Sun at Pitty!

I have a Garmin 300C as well ...... I haven't used it that much tho up here as the lake is shallow where I normally fish! I should chuck it in for this weekend on Pitty!

Don't rush out & add an anchor trolley setup - I just connected a couple of pulleys thru the handle of my Sport, so I can position my sea anchor (cloth shopping bag with wire thru the top & tied onto a bit of venetian cord) anywhere from front to back and anywhere in between!! I don't even take an anchor with me these days. Chances are, you'll be fishing water that is too deep anway! You really have to be careful of where you anchor up, too - never have the anchor set up behind you! With big rising tides, if you are not careful, you can actually get swamped from behind, as the tide rises, without noticing! I just maneuver around with the pedals, tie up to moorings or take advantage of other structure ...... I always have a rope with the home made 'hook' on it connected to the yak - it comes in very handy in many situations.

Stake out pole - I just use a pair of 2nd hand ski poles - check out the Sallies & Vinnies shops! $5 a pair! Some people elongate them by pop rivetting an extra length to the top but I've just left mine with the handles & made a curly cord from whipper snipper line to attach it to the yak ....... they charge a fortune for the Hobie Stake out Pole & I reckon it is too thick in some soil/sand situations - not unlike shoving a broom handle into the ground!! Also, having the 2 ski poles allows you to set the direction of the yak, irrelevant of the wind & tide/current. They are only used in (obviously) shallow water that isn't flowing too fast! Some people have used Tent Poles - others have used painter's roller poles ....... you could even use the really strong collapsible tent pole thingos that slot together!

Not many sleeps to go! Enjoy the ride!

Roberta

Hi Tom

WOOHOO!! Bet you can't wait! Shame you didn't have it already, you could have joined me on Sat/Sun at Pitty!

I have a Garmin 300C as well ...... I haven't used it that much tho up here as the lake is shallow where I normally fish! I should chuck it in for this weekend on Pitty!

Don't rush out & add an anchor trolley setup - I just connected a couple of pulleys thru the handle of my Sport, so I can position my sea anchor (cloth shopping bag with wire thru the top & tied onto a bit of venetian cord) anywhere from front to back and anywhere in between!! I don't even take an anchor with me these days. Chances are, you'll be fishing water that is too deep anway! You really have to be careful of where you anchor up, too - never have the anchor set up behind you! With big rising tides, if you are not careful, you can actually get swamped from behind, as the tide rises, without noticing! I just maneuver around with the pedals, tie up to moorings or take advantage of other structure ...... I always have a rope with the home made 'hook' on it connected to the yak - it comes in very handy in many situations.

Stake out pole - I just use a pair of 2nd hand ski poles - check out the Sallies & Vinnies shops! $5 a pair! Some people elongate them by pop rivetting an extra length to the top but I've just left mine with the handles & made a curly cord from whipper snipper line to attach it to the yak ....... they charge a fortune for the Hobie Stake out Pole & I reckon it is too thick in some soil/sand situations - not unlike shoving a broom handle into the ground!! Also, having the 2 ski poles allows you to set the direction of the yak, irrelevant of the wind & tide/current. They are only used in (obviously) shallow water that isn't flowing too fast! Some people have used Tent Poles - others have used painter's roller poles ....... you could even use the really strong collapsible tent pole thingos that slot together!

Not many sleeps to go! Enjoy the ride!

Roberta

Thanks for that Roberta! I'll definitely take your advice onboard. Can't wait to give it a spin. I'm going to try and keep it all clutter free so i can stand up a lot. I'll definitely make sure i don't anchor from the back! Would be an expensive lesson!

Cheers, Tom

Guest leisureman

For my running anchor rig, i kept things simple. I had spare stainless clips from work and just put a length of small rope/cord thru and added a dropper loop to attach anchor or drogue. No pulleys needed, just replace your rope when gets a bit worn. i will post some pics soon. You should have no worries standing on the Hobie as i can stand on my online shop sit on top model. I looking for a good option for live bait tank/bladder. Also consider getting a short kids rod from BCF and match it with a 1000 size quality reel. Handy to have different size rod and good fun if get hook up! Not long now till Bass season too so will be trying a few spots i know where they virtually jump in the boat.Cheers

For my running anchor rig, i kept things simple. I had spare stainless clips from work and just put a length of small rope/cord thru and added a dropper loop to attach anchor or drogue. No pulleys needed, just replace your rope when gets a bit worn. i will post some pics soon. You should have no worries standing on the Hobie as i can stand on my online shop sit on top model. I looking for a good option for live bait tank/bladder. Also consider getting a short kids rod from BCF and match it with a 1000 size quality reel. Handy to have different size rod and good fun if get hook up! Not long now till Bass season too so will be trying a few spots i know where they virtually jump in the boat.Cheers

Thanks for the tip mate! Sounds like a good idea. I'm getting the hobie livewell on mine but i'm not sure if that would work for other brands. Definitely grab a really light outfit. Means if the big fish aren't around, the bream, whiting and tailor will still give you some sport on the light stuff.

Cheers, Tom