Kingfish setup....again

chriseels2010

Hi guys,

Wanted your opinion on my projected kingfish setup fishing off wharves with live bait (occasionally with lures). Eventually it'll be used on the kayak I plan to buy.

I want a strong setup as I was absolutely killed today by something massive. I only use spinning reels lol

I'm thinking of a Silstar crystal powertip 6'6 8-15kg matched with a Okuma Salina 10000. I plan for 50pd braid. Can anyone vouch for this setup?

Would the Salina 18000 go better?

I've heard the saltist or saragossa are great reels too.

Suggestions please :)

Chris

Sounds very good mate :thumbup: Salina 2's are a great reel and VERY tough! My only bit of advice is to maybe up the rod a little to atleast 10-15kg. Also, have a look at the Shimano Terez range of rods. Should match that reel nicely :biggrin2:

Cheers, Tom

mate i can tell you from experiance that for wharves you want a longer rod. im not sure on your budget but i would be looking at a 8-10 foot rod for the wharves and a 6 foot one for the kayak.

i have a 10 foot 6-10kg silstar rod which is great but i think they might be a bit soft for wharf kings. i fish at least a 8 foot PE 5-8 popping rod with an 18000 saragosa with 50lb or my 18000 stella with 80lb for wharves and yes your drag the smaller fish up no problems but when a decent king turns out they still smoke me on that sort of gear. use to fish next to a south african bloke down at a local wharf who fished a PE 100 8 foot rod with a saltiga spooled with 120lb braid and 150-200lb leader. wharves are probably the hardest place to pull a king from cos of all the structure and usual the kings there are residents and know how to bust you up.

i dont know much about the salinas but personally i stick with shimano and the saragosas are seriously tough reels.

what ever you go with good luck wharf kings are always fun but heart breaking at the same time.

Thanks for the suggestions. I've identified the Wilson Live fibre 15-24kg 7' and Ugly stick Bluewater 15-24kg 7'. Both seem to be durable, strong and long lasting. Can anyone vouch for these?

Even though the saragosa looks better, I still might go for the salina 10000 since it's only around $230. Unless someone can PM me a good deal haha!

Cheers,

Chris

Thanks for the suggestions. I've identified the Wilson Live fibre 15-24kg 7' and Ugly stick Bluewater 15-24kg 7'. Both seem to be durable, strong and long lasting. Can anyone vouch for these?

Even though the saragosa looks better, I still might go for the salina 10000 since it's only around $230. Unless someone can PM me a good deal haha!

Cheers,

Chris

havent tried those rods but i reckon theyl be sweet mate, have seen the live fibres in action and they have plenty of butt power, and we all know uglysticks are pretty much indestructable.

havent tried the salina but can tell you you wont regret the saragosa mate, top reel for the kings man, super smooth drag and very tough.

i reckon the live fibre and gosa would be a pretty mean combo for sydney kings.

dont rush get the best you can afford for kingies as theyre real hard on your gear, even if you have to wait a week or 2.

my 2 cents worth.

i own the 7' wilson live fiber and its an awesome reel i match it with my saragossa for bait fishing on boats and its an awesome combo. tough as nails to. but i still think its to short for a wharf rod. only cos ive witnessed many times what a king can do inclose to a wharf. imagen getting inclose with mike tyson in his prime, thats the sort of brutality and power kings dish out in that inviroment.

i deffinately agree with waiting a few weeks if you have to and getting the saragossa. tested time and time again as an awesome reel. the last thing you want is to have an issue cause you went with an inferia reel. i made the mistake of getting a diawa saltist instead of a saragossa first time round only to distroy the gears in it and the hand shaft warp and the handle bend. trust me when i say fish with this kind of power will distroy reels, brake rods, straighten hooks and distroy fisherman lol.

The support for the Saragoosa has sold me on paying that little bit more. Thanks guys

Also how does Sunline super pe 50pd sound. What weighting mono backing do you think is ideal?

you wont regret it mate!

that braid will be fine too, and with the backing its not super important for the harbour kings as your fishing such shallow water and theyll bust you off way before you get to the backing,

if you wanted to jig or fish deep water at any stage id consider running braid all the way through with just a couple of loops of mono backing,

id go 30-50lb backing.

Super PE is great line I have it on my saragosa. One thing I've recent started looking at is braid diameter any PE braid is going to be thinner then a fused braid such as power pro. Depending what you want it for different diameter have there place. If you want that extra few meters on ur casts PE is better but if your fishing in structure the thicker fused braids can give you a second longer to pull a king back out from the structure before he busts you off.

I just recently bought my first spool of power pro super slick being a fused braid its thicker then super PE and tougher but its got a smooth wax coating on it and it casts an absolute mile. Definitely worth a look.

I remember about 6 years ago I decided to start chasing landbased kings and I wish I had support like this in choosing a combo. Growing up fishing light for flattys and bream I though 20lb was super heavy duty stuff. My first combo was a 6500 baitrunner 20 lb mono and a soft 8kg 12 foot beach rod. I learnt very quickly I had made a mistake getting smoked again and again lol.

As far as backing goes decent 50lb is the way to go. I always tie mine with an fg knot these days after I had a double uni on a reel running low on braid and when I cast it was catch on the knot. Any good leader knot will help. With a full 300m spool you will never see the backing but having it there will allow you to completely fill the spool giving you extra casting distance.

Edited by sydangler

Good choice. I always get my reels spoiled down age shop on the machine. By memory it only took about 50m of mono backing.

Now as far as spoiling your self. Best way to do it is wind your braid tight on to the bare new spool once you have the 300m on tie it to the mono backing with the best/slimmest leader knot you know and wind on the mono till its full. Now you know how much line you need.

For the next step you need 2 other reels large reel with no line on it. Wind on all line on it so the braid is ontop now do the same putting all the line onto reel number three putting the mono ontop then wind it onto ur new reel. It takes time but ull have a perfectly spooled reel.

You can replace the extra reels with empty line spools on a wood turning laith

As far as using the left over mono as trace it will get you out of trouble if you have nothing else but I would get your self some quality trace moimoi or jinki are good but if ur willing to spend the money fluro carbon is worth it stick with good brands like sunline.

As far as using the left over mono as trace it will get you out of trouble if you have nothing else but I would get your self some quality trace moimoi or jinki are good but if ur willing to spend the money fluro carbon is worth it stick with good brands like sunline.

vote +1 on using flourocarbon as leader - do a google on FC vs nylon = many reasons why it is more desirable...

btw - great set up, should be pretty tough :)