Old tinnie revamp.

Jasoniumh

Hi everyone, just bought a 12' tinny, pushed by a 15 merc on the tiller. Been out a couple of times in her but now stripped ready for fitout. Because of the type of boat (doggett)I only intend on doing the lakes down here. If anyone has any suggestions as to materials/design I would love to hear them. Motor is in for a service and the boat to the shop for a transom bracket repair. I'd like a casting deck up front, storage somewhere, a live bait well would be good, battery bay, and room for an esky. am I asking to much of this 12 footer ? I'll post some pics of the old boat soon. A bit of extra weight doesn't worry me. (its not how fast you get there, just get there) I would like to avoid cutting into the bench seats as that's all my floatation. I look forward to any feedback you guys in the know can give... I do have a transom issue. It has been converted from a short leg transom to a long leg, and the transom is now at a 20 degree angle instead of the standard 12. The shop said that to replace the transom with 5mm plate and bulked out for the mount in shop could cost up $700. I told the minister of war and finance (wife) and then we had the yelling/glaring/muttering thing. Any advise?

Here are some pics of the old girl... You can see the transom work done and the problem. Was considering replacing the entire transom with marine play but I'm a bit worried about the extra weight. My casting deck wound go from about 4 inches behind the front bench to the start of the forward storage area at seat level, enough room to stand and stumble a bit... the aft will also be covered housing the battery, bilge pump, float switch and some other gear with enough room to stand and cast from. Fuel in the forward area? I was thinking of putting heaps of distance between it and the electrics. I might put a little shelf in forward storage bay for a flat tackle box or two. The center would be a standard floor from marine ply and carpet. The transom bracket is getting welded next week. Any thoughts on my ideas? or any ideas for my thoughts? would love some feed back. Thanks... Jas

post-24078-061092600 1345242436_thumb.jpg

post-24078-081308700 1345242456_thumb.jpg

post-24078-010454900 1345242473_thumb.jpg

post-24078-094966100 1345242485_thumb.jpg

post-24078-085785300 1345242503_thumb.jpg

post-24078-014257300 1345242517_thumb.jpg

Hi Jason IMO I think you are asking too much for the size of this boat in what you want to do with it. I doubt it would be too stable and there is very little depth/free board in the boat to install a platform. I would talk to the person who is welding the transom for his opinion and what you are thinking of. How high up off the floor are you going to put the new floor. Rod holders, grab rail, a cheap fish finder etc would be OK. If it is going to be a one man boat how about a kitchen chair to sit on to give you height from the water. Might look odd but does help.

I know others will have a different opinion but each to his own. IMO I would sell the boat and put the money to a bigger boat and customise that.

Yeah i definately wouldnt be puttin a casting deck in but id go for a solid flat floor which should improve the stability as far as walkin around in it and that if it was me and only stickin to the calmer rivers id be takin the middle seat out i know people think its a big no no and alot of people will poo poo it structual integrity and so on but in calm water its perfectly safe as ive done it before and it was awesome freed up alot of room and was still super tough

and yeah rod holders fishfinder thats about all you could do with it but yeah its got good potential for a river boat for sure

I've got a boat of the same size (slightly different design) and the same size motor. Definitely look at putting a flat floor in - I made mine just from some plywood that I jigged out and some treated pine 'legs' that sit between the floor and the bottom of the boat. It makes a big difference.

I have put a plywood deck on the front of mine, covering the two front seats. I would never use it as a casting platform, as I'd end up in the water - it serves more as a table than anything else. Stability wise, I take it out either by myself or with my five year old son, and we have no problem standing up and casting in the area between the seats when the weather's relatively calm.

I take it outside too, a bit. You have to be very finicky about the weather - if the swell's to big, stay at home. Strictly bums on seats as well, and a weather eye on the waves. I haven't had a problem yet, but it pays to be careful. Make sure you have all your safety gear!

As for things I'd like, I need some rod holders and I'm looking to put in a sounder on a removable bracket, as well as a battery obviously.

Yeah i definately wouldnt be puttin a casting deck in but id go for a solid flat floor which should improve the stability as far as walkin around in it and that if it was me and only stickin to the calmer rivers id be takin the middle seat out i know people think its a big no no and alot of people will poo poo it structual integrity and so on but in calm water its perfectly safe as ive done it before and it was awesome freed up alot of room and was still super tough

and yeah rod holders fishfinder thats about all you could do with it but yeah its got good potential for a river boat for sure

Yes I agree, I was going to have a small casting deck up front but given the size of the boat, a flat floor will do. The middle seat will stay, but I am considering cutting into it and making an esky/baitwell thing. perhaps some flat tackle box storage underneath either side of the esky. I am hoping to put in a rod box down one side as I have two of five kids with disabilities and 'out of sight out of mind' till we start fishing if you know what I mean. In any case I've taken it out a few times... got the first floor roughed in... and its fine to fish from. Floor is made from two ply sections screwed into 3 pine joists resting on the center bracings. I've used 3 rubber door stops on each side edge instead of having the pine resting directly on the hull. I'll get some carpet to neaten it up. I have a wide Eye 128 fishfinder without the side transducers ready to go in. Its a great hull shap, boat stays very dry even in windy, choppy conditions. Taking it to Lake Conjola nest trip as Birril is a bit quiet. I'll have the fishfinder in by then so that will help... Thanks for the input.

I've got a boat of the same size (slightly different design) and the same size motor. Definitely look at putting a flat floor in - I made mine just from some plywood that I jigged out and some treated pine 'legs' that sit between the floor and the bottom of the boat. It makes a big difference.

I have put a plywood deck on the front of mine, covering the two front seats. I would never use it as a casting platform, as I'd end up in the water - it serves more as a table than anything else. Stability wise, I take it out either by myself or with my five year old son, and we have no problem standing up and casting in the area between the seats when the weather's relatively calm.

I take it outside too, a bit. You have to be very finicky about the weather - if the swell's to big, stay at home. Strictly bums on seats as well, and a weather eye on the waves. I haven't had a problem yet, but it pays to be careful. Make sure you have all your safety gear!

As for things I'd like, I need some rod holders and I'm looking to put in a sounder on a removable bracket, as well as a battery obviously.

First flat floor is in! I'm not sure how it would handle a swell, I've been told it has a good hull for it but I'd like to test it in some boat wash - christmas on Conjola lol. I'd love to take it out to Jervis but I need a bit more safety gear depending on how far out I'd need to go, and yes only on a perfect day. I've got all the nav lights and some leds for under the gunners for rigging and whatever so I am definitely looking forward to some all-nighters on the lake come summer.

post-24078-081804700 1345721826_thumb.jpg

Hi Jason,

Back again. Your hull seems a pretty solid one and the bench seats are as well. Think about using some old esky`s or similar containers to fit inside the seats. Upto you weather you want them to fit flush. The front seat is a good start as it is probably the least used. Can be used as a fish/bait box. It is upto you with your imagination as to how far you want to go. A couple of grab rails around the boat will be good. Think about having a swivel chair ( a kitchen chair customised ) put in the boat and sit it over the middle seat if your going to fish alone. It might look silly but you will be surprised how much better it is than sitting level to the water. There are many simple things you can do to make your fishing comfortable and the best way to do that is spend some time down at the local boat ramps and see what others have done.

I guess some of the modifications you want to do might depend on your own DIY skills.

Good Luck.