Fishing in Indonesia

ben.marshman

Hi Raiders,

In a couple of weeks I am heading over to Indonesia. It will mostly be a surfing trip, however, I am really excited

to take some fishing gear this time. I will be throwing some poppers from the reefs and beaches in East Java to (hopefully) catch a GT!

I just wanted to know if anyone had some tips for this kind of fishing and what poppers will give me the best chance of catching a fish?

I have a few Halco Roosta poppers in the 135 and 195 size in different colours. Also what are the best tides/times to target GTs?

Lastly, I will be flying Garuda, does anyone know if I can take fishing reels on the plane in my carry on luggage?

I have been to Indonesia many times and have never fished over there (which feels like a waste of opportunities), so I am very excited to get over

there and do some fishing!!

Thanks Raiders.

Regards,

Ben

Lastly, I will be flying Garuda, does anyone know if I can take fishing reels on the plane in my carry on luggage?

Hi Ben,

You'd better try to get the information about it from the Garuda office on Hunter street Sydney.

Let me know how you went and good luck.

Andy

I dont know about indo but I took reels to the philipines with no drama. I also bought a rod travel case which saved any damage done to my rods, but that needs to go to the over size section at the airport (extra hassle)..Dont bother trying to take your reels in your hand luggage, just put them in your stowed luggage and no hassles..Good luck in Indo

Mate never fished fo them but mates have and I've done hours on reading for them. The halcos are good. Other lures it depends on if you wanna spend big bucks or not. On the cheaper end of the scale big river to sea dumb bells have always produced fish or I've seen the new strada poppers very similar to the halcos but heavier and very tough. On the other end of the scale aswb fisherman and carpenter are some names that come to mind but can cost around $200 compared to say a dumb bell for around $20.

I would also suggest stocking up on plastics and big heavy duty jig head to bottom bash for big reefies still a chance for a gt on one to.

Great info mentioned above but also have a look at Sebile Splashers. Dynamite on GT's. A mate got 38kg job on one last year. As for the GT fishing, work the reefs edges on the last of the run out tide. This is when the baitfish will be leaving the reef and being ambushed by all the trevallies and other reefies. Another deadly technique is working big SP's across the surface. 7" Jerkshads and other large plastics are great. Its really a matter of exploring and working things out for yourself. Remember, travel the extra miles to get the smiles :biggrin2: \\

Cheers, Tom

Edited by mack attack 79

Thanks everyone for the replies!

Andy, I think I will just put the reels in my check-in luggage. I shouldn't have any troubles that way.

Pete, Yeah i'm going to take a rod travel tube. I will be dropping off a board bag at oversized luggage so the rod tube can go with those.

SydAngler, One $200 popper, or a months worth of Bintangs ... thats any easy choice lol! I think the $20 dollar Halcos will have to do. I have a couple a Strada's as well. They look pretty awesome! I think I will def get some big soft plastics though!

Tom, where can I buy Jerkshads on the Northern Beaches or North Shore? Any specific colours? And fishing low tide sounds good cause then it won't cut into my surfing time!

Andy351, thats what I thought about the line on reels. It does seem ridiculous! I wonder if anyone has ever used braided fishing line to create havok on a plane lol?

Burnsy74, are Jershads stickbaits?

Thanks again guys for the advice. Its making me even more keen to get there and get amongst the fish! I've been watching Swordfisherman's Bali GT videos on YouTube - pretty inspiring.

And I will def let you know how I go over there.

Ben

Edited by B Man

Ok Ben you have inspired me as well and I have fished Bali a fair few times :biggrin2: mostly with success.

You must have quality gear and thats a big thing if you want to get the best results.

Stella or Saltiga in the biggest size and a 24 to 60kg popper stick with a quality rod bucket or fighting gimbal for big threadline gear.

130 to 150lb leader and heavy duty rings and very strong hooks.

Contact our sponsor ELITE tackle and have a chat with Stew and grab a few 90mm stick baits from ASWB range and a few cubera style poppers in the 125mm size.

I will PM you a few details later on tonight to get you well on your way to catching some GTs or you can flick me a PM with your mobile number and I will fill you in on how it goes over there.

Regards Stewy

Thanks everyone for the replies!

Andy, I think I will just put the reels in my check-in luggage. I shouldn't have any troubles that way.

Pete, Yeah i'm going to take a rod travel tube. I will be dropping off a board bag at oversized luggage so the rod tube can go with those.

SydAngler, One $200 popper, or a months worth of Bintangs ... thats any easy choice lol! I think the $20 dollar Halcos will have to do. I have a couple a Strada's as well. They look pretty awesome! I think I will def get some big soft plastics though!

Tom, where can I buy Jerkshads on the Northern Beaches or North Shore? Any specific colours? And fishing low tide sounds good cause then it won't cut into my surfing time!

Andy351, thats what I thought about the line on reels. It does seem ridiculous! I wonder if anyone has ever used braided fishing line to create havok on a plane lol?

Burnsy74, are Jershads stickbaits?

Thanks again guys for the advice. Its making me even more keen to get there and get amongst the fish! I've been watching Swordfisherman's Bali GT videos on YouTube - pretty inspiring.

And I will def let you know how I go over there.

Ben

Hi mate,

Jerkshads are big soft plastics so not really stickbaits. I'll PM you a good tackle store on NB to get them from. Most colours will work fine. I personally like Lime Tiger and Neon but they all work.