Fishing in Pittwater NSW

Tintanic

Hi Guys,

Went out to Pittwater on Sat night, started at 2am and fished till lunch on Sunday.

Caught absolutley nill. Tried a few places, near the basin and around Narrenjoey head with no luck.

Were in search of Kings or even feed of flatties. A mate of mine and I have rented a houseboat for a coule of days and will be in and around the same area. Was hoping some of you may have some pointers for me as where to fish around Pittwater or if there are any good places to try in the hawesbury at the moment?

Were are not targeting anything in specific, just hoping to find somewhere to catch a few fish. Any thoughts guys? Any luck round there areas of late??

Your help is very much appreciated! :thumbup:

Hi Tintanic,

Don,t loose faith in Pittwater. There is plenty of fish when you know how but it is coping a hiding from the netters and trappers. There are Kings ( although slow this time of the year ) around the barges on the western side of Scotland Island and also on the reef on the eastern side out from the Eastern wharf ( Public Wharf on Scotland Island. Reef is about 80m out but need a sounder to find it ). Live squid or yellowtail are the go. Saw a nice John Dory caught amongst the mooring at the Basin last week end and there are bream and trevally under West Head. Find the cement trig marker on the rocks, anchor where the sand meets the reef and berley with soaked chicken pellets. I use live nippers pumped from the sandy area at the Basin or up McCarrs Creek and drift them back with the current from the tide. If you like Blackfish there are also plenty of these around the wharves and rocks. The rocks under West head have plenty too. The key is lots of patients and berley. Just tucked in around the corner upstream on the left from Flint and Steel is a great spot to. Lots of bream but you need lead to keep the bait on the bottom when the tide is moving. Best advice though would be to invest in a pittwater charter and learn from it. Good luck.

Paul

On Strike

. Best advice though would be to invest in a pittwater charter and learn from it. Good luck.

Paul

On Strike

Hi Paul,

Mate i can’t thank you enough, you are a true gentleman! That is some awesome advice you have just offered and i will be sure to give all of those a shot. :thumbup::yahoo::thumbup:

We have rented a 35' Fly bridge and although its the kind of ship you'd be taking to browns, our rental policy states we can leave Pittwater or the river. I’m hoping that the boat has a sounder (hard to imagine it wouldn’t) and hopefully i can find myself that reef.

Great advice and ill certainly be looking into a local charter sometime real soon so I can get a better understanding of where is hot in Pittwater, as it is such a nice place to fish.

Once again, thanks a million and hopefully i can post a report of our catch soon after..fingers crossed.

Tight lines!

Chris.

Check out this thread from a few days ago

http://www.fishraider.com.au/Invision/index.php?showtopic=64758.

Should help you out a bit. Pittwater is a lovely place to fish even when the fish aren't biting. Not long til the kings come. For now focus on West Head and Barrenjoey. Even though you had a doughnut at barrenjoey there are some nice fish there. West head is great for a few nice salmon, tailor and trevally on dusk at the moment. Both trolling lures, spinning with halco twisty 15g's and unweighted pillies. Plenty of nice bream, trevally and the odd legal snapper on the bottom too. If you grab some yakkas here send one out and hope for a big jewie or stray kingie :thumbup:

Cheers, Tom

Caught plenty of legal whiting drifting around pittwater with live nippers pumped out of the basin in summer, def worth it

Clareville is the go for whiting in summer. Alternatively careel bay flats. Where do you get yours?

Mate I think Pittwater is very tough in Winter. If you get lucky, you may see salmon or tailor breaking the surface, but i have seen less of that this year than previously. We fished Mooney Mooney creek yesterday........a few KMs upstream of Pittwater. Went about 8kms up the creek, peppered the oyster leases with SPs and HBs......200+ casts between 2 of us......not a hit. But.....oh the serenity! This Winter have fished the hole at Stokes Point and Mackeral with livies and pillies, burley up........nothing. Flicked spoons into the washes at West Head and Barrenjoey......zilch. But.....i'll be back next weekend! You need to enjoy trying as well as catching.

Hi Guys,

Went out to Pittwater on Sat night, started at 2am and fished till lunch on Sunday.

Caught absolutley nill. Tried a few places, near the basin and around Narrenjoey head with no luck.

Were in search of Kings or even feed of flatties. A mate of mine and I have rented a houseboat for a coule of days and will be in and around the same area. Was hoping some of you may have some pointers for me as where to fish around Pittwater or if there are any good places to try in the hawesbury at the moment?

Were are not targeting anything in specific, just hoping to find somewhere to catch a few fish. Any thoughts guys? Any luck round there areas of late??

Your help is very much appreciated! :thumbup:

I have hired a houseboat on the 29th 29th and 30th of this month

a few observations,

1, people tend not to report catching nothing.

2, there are a lot of fishing reports, here, the paper (ha) and other media.

3, the hawkesbury/pittwater doesnt get many reports.

4, each time i go there the carpark at the ramp is busy.

5, even on busy days the cleaning table is often bone dry.

6, the pros FLOG the place, this is not a recent thing.

7, most reports from hawks/pitt finish with, it was a nice day to be out. (the fishing equivilent of "its an honour to compete")words of a loser**.

all the best fishing the area, i like many others have barred it.

**no offence meant to those that have caught zero, i include myself in that field many times over.

Cheers guys some very good info provided and all is very much appreciated.

Will post a report by the weekend on this 2 day trip. Hopefully ill have something worth writing about.

Once again thanks to all and tight lines :thumbup: