Curious fish for the table?

Gatte

G'day everyone!

Just having a browse online for some of the multiple species we pulled up from a fun session on the rocks at avoca on the weekend. Only one that I found on the fisheries website was a red scorpion fish. Every fish we caught went back (except the yakkas) as they looked too dangerous to touch let alone eat haha.

Noticed there was a bag limit of 5 with no size limit on the scorpion fish though? If they're eatable they'd want to be brilliant to compensate for those nasty spikes!

Gatts

G'day everyone!

Noticed there was a bag limit of 5 with no size limit on the scorpion fish though? If they're eatable they'd want to be brilliant to compensate for those nasty spikes!

Gatts

G'day Gatts,

We were down at Curracarang last week and other than some small, pesky brown rock cod and wrasse we got a scorpionfish also. Have caught them before and hadn't really thought they were worth it until my brother (chef) explained that they are also known as 'Poor Man's Lobster'. This time we brought it home to cook up - wear a glove when filleting, those spikes are nearly everywhere. Nice white flesh, first piece we simply steamed with nothing else just to taste. A little bland on its own, but the next piece was fried in some butter, oil, garlic, chilli - it took up the flavours really well, and while it didn't have the lobster taste on the first go from the steamer, it certainly had the same texture. A fair bit of meat on it too, for the size, if you are careful and take your time (or possibly cut off all the spines first, which would make it easier).

Cheers,

Scott

If they're eatable they'd want to be brilliant to compensate for those nasty spikes!

Gatts

Grab them underneath the head, never been spiked by one yet in 50 years (don't know what all the fuss is about) The fillets are good eating!

I must try them! We caught over half a dozen on the weekend so I think I know where to find them now ;)

Any thoughts on six spined leatherjacket? I've tried the more common variety before but not sure about the six spined. Pretty to look at regardless :)