TCD on Sunday 26, 8, 2012

painske

A friend and myself went up to TCD for the day braving the winds. My mate borrowed my spinning gear and I opted to use fly gear.Well it was a pretty slow day all together alot of walking and casting at likely areas were we thought fish would be holding while trying to shelter from the wind but zip.......Fortunately once we hit some shallow water and the wind eased for a minute I spotted a bit of a flash in the water between some trees as my mate walked off over the ridge.I managed to get a few nice and suttle cast into the likely area were the fish was patroling and wack, felt like a nice fish so I put the anchor on due to trees in the water which he seemed to favour heading for.Once I caught a glimpes of the fish Holy S&^%!! looking for my mate to help land it well he wasn't my friend at that moment as he had dissapeared completely. Luckly some other fisherman heading back my way heard me squealing like a little girl gave me a hand to land it (which I am greatly thankfull for the help.... Thanks again!!!)Well anyway the fish felt a solid 6-7 pounds give or take which I am not to concerned about as it was a cracker of a brown for me hence the squealing..

post-22698-000139500 1346069585_thumb.jpg

A friend and myself went up to TCD for the day braving the winds. My mate borrowed my spinning gear and I opted to use fly gear.Well it was a pretty slow day all together alot of walking and casting at likely areas were we thought fish would be holding while trying to shelter from the wind but zip.......Fortunately once we hit some shallow water and the wind eased for a minute I spotted a bit of a flash in the water between some trees as my mate walked off over the ridge.I managed to get a few nice and suttle cast into the likely area were the fish was patroling and wack, felt like a nice fish so I put the anchor on due to trees in the water which he seemed to favour heading for.Once I caught a glimpes of the fish Holy S&^%!! looking for my mate to help land it well he wasn't my friend at that moment as he had dissapeared completely. Luckly some other fisherman heading back my way heard me squealing like a little girl gave me a hand to land it (which I am greatly thankfull for the help.... Thanks again!!!)Well anyway the fish felt a solid 6-7 pounds give or take which I am not to concerned about as it was a cracker of a brown for me hence the squealing..

nice brown mate, ive squeeled like a kid plenty up there lol.

sounds like you done the hard yards and were rewarded for the efforts mate good onya.

well done mate.

never caught a trout before. how are they in terms of fighting quality?

also can you eat them? I've actually never eaten a trout before but from what you see in the supermarket, I assume it tastes like salmon?

lately the seas have been really cruel to me, so I might try out the freshy :)

Nice fish Dan! I am totally jealous. If you ever need company up there I would love to tag along. I have recently moved to the Blue mountains (Woodford) from Merimbula and don't have anyone to go fishing with up here. I have all of my own gear for trout (ultralight spin rods, soft plastics and plenty of small minnow hardbody's) but have never fished for trout (mostly Jews, Kings, Bream, Bass, Snapper, Whiting and flatties) so any advice/mentoring would fall on welcoming ears.

Congrats once again on a nice brown!

Luc.

Hi Luc, if you gonna use your light spin gear, fish for trout as you would for Bream with SP's.

That I most definitely can do. Cheers for the hint. I have these little 3 inch rainbow trout squidgies I have been bursting to have a go on, they look hot in the packet... I hope the fish like them as much as me. If I was a fish I would eat one hehehe. Are the hardbody techniques much like bream too? Or like anything it can all depend on the mood of the fish on the day? Sorry I'm a complete noob on trout and cant help but pick brains when something grabs hold of my interest and there are experienced folk around who have been doing things long before the notion ever popped into my head.

Edited by Jew Stalker

Well good to see a few fish around that isa cracking brownie! I have had good reports from a few locals that Lyell is starting to fire up! I will be up there this wekend with the long wand so if your keen Jewstalker send me a PM I ma leaving lunch time tomorrow.

Cheers

Message sent. :)

Nice fish Dan! I am totally jealous. If you ever need company up there I would love to tag along. I have recently moved to the Blue mountains (Woodford) from Merimbula and don't have anyone to go fishing with up here. I have all of my own gear for trout (ultralight spin rods, soft plastics and plenty of small minnow hardbody's) but have never fished for trout (mostly Jews, Kings, Bream, Bass, Snapper, Whiting and flatties) so any advice/mentoring would fall on welcoming ears.

Congrats once again on a nice brown!

Luc.

Cheers. I am heading to TCD on saturday then venturing off to lyle for the eveing depending if TCD fires well, also how the predicted wind behaves on saturday... But any questions or if your up for a fish just PM me

Thanks, The big ones can be a bit dogged sometimes, I find the rainbows 2 to 4 pound are the fun ones to catch very energetic for the their size.

I love eating fresh trout, smoked, grilled or baked, they are superb and go with any side dishes and the adult beverage of your choosing.

Highly recomended to get into the freshwater species imported or native its fun fishing with a different view...

well done mate.

also can you eat them? I've actually never eaten a trout before but from what you see in the supermarket, I assume it tastes like salmon?

Hey Dan thanks for the info.

Looking at your pic, you seem to be wearing some sort of waterproof pants? i guess this allows you to venture into the waters to get better casting? Is this required?

I have a light bream rod with braid, so I'm assuming I need to get some lures.

I've been fishing fair bit but only have limited freshwater fishing (penrith weir chasing bass avoiding uni lectures! lol)

Mate I'm not sure if I have the right equipments but I'm very keen to catch my first trout, so if you don't mind, I would love to tag along.

Cheers,

Mark

well done mate.

does trout taste good?? lol . they are fine on the table, really top quality in my opinion and millions out there in the world.

:D Fighting, awesome sportsfish, rainbows tend to do more jumping to dislodge the hook but the browns will stay deep in the water in the fight. both kinds of trout are good fighting and always a thrill to hook up to.