Middle Harbour

pepi..

Hey raiders,

Just wondering if anyone can give me some tips or exact locations of where to go tonight for a fish (land based) I usually fish around Woolwich/Lane Cove River but have been thinking for a while to maybe try somewhere around The Spit or Roseville.. would LOVE to catch some squid :) .. Any tips or advice would be appreciated.. Cheers, Joe

Roseville goes alright. it has been on and off lately. Same deal with The Spit. try chucking a squid jig out on the south western side and just let it sink and drift in the current. you will need a quick retrieve especially as the jig passes the rocks close to shore as it will snag, not particularly on rocks or kelp, but it will snag discarded fishing line and it is such a pain.

Roseville still has some nice bream and trevally around the top of the tide near the boatramp. The odd flathead in the channel too. I have caught squid at roseville, but not very many. Not really worth targetting... Spit is much better for squid.. Roseville should turn on in month or so...

Tom

not this arvo :(

Bad luck buddy.. Got a few 30cm bream and 33cm trevs there sunday arvo.. Took a while but burley brought them about on dusk.. Certainly not as many fish as there were in june/early july though...

Tom

+1 i think that spit would produce better fish than roseville

maybe during summer try roseville

Not saying the spit doesn't have good fish, it certainly does... BUT, if you know when and where, Roseville "Does produce big fish".. Roseville is a much better option for jews and big bream when the water warms up.. No shortage of schoolies in jan/feb with a few bigger fish (10kg+) turing up October-December... Fantastic spot for a few bream and trevs on unweighted prawns/lightly weighted SP's too atm.. If squid is what you want then certainly go spit instead.. I suppose kings are more "abundant" around the spit too though..

Tom

Edited by mack attack 79

Bad luck buddy..

Tom

no worries mate, we've been going to Garigal since high school, the boys an I know it fires in spring...

was just looking for a place for a easy quiet flick :)

I moved around a fair bit, started up under road bridge (vibe eater!), then went up stream, then down to water pipe, then down to pontoon, then to the creek side...

water is so clear, probably would have been more success with bait ;)

no worries mate, we've been going to Garigal since high school, the boys an I know it fires in spring...

was just looking for a place for a easy quiet flick :)

I moved around a fair bit, started up under road bridge (vibe eater!), then went up stream, then down to water pipe, then down to pontoon, then to the creek side...

water is so clear, probably would have been more success with bait ;)

Yeah, always a few good flatties around in summer.. I have to say the bridge certainly is a "vibe eater". I reckon i've lost around 7 there in the last year or so... 2 of them were jackall transams which go for around $27... I only use lightly weighted SP and HB there now... I heard from a friend that the mangroves on the roseville side upstream of the bridge are one of the best big bream spots in the harbour at the top of the tide! He pulled 3 45cm fish from there last summer.. Might be worth a look :biggrin2:

I heard from a friend that the mangroves on the roseville side upstream of the bridge are one of the best big bream spots in the harbour at the top of the tide! He pulled 3 45cm fish from there last summer..

land based? or waterside? i could only cast 50% of the way to the mangroves with my biggest casts from the north side...

i was chatting to a local who was blackfishing near the pontoon who said a similar thing ;)

you 'yak-based yet?

opens up the whole of MH for ya :D

Edited by user1829

land based? or waterside? i could only cast 50% of the way to the mangroves with my biggest casts from the north side...

i was chatting to a local who was blackfishing near the pontoon who said a similar thing ;)

you 'yak-based yet?

opens up the whole of MH for ya :D

Unfortunately i think you'd need some sort of watercraft to fish it properly... Issues with yak shipping but "apparently" ready to pick up next monday :biggrin2: