Spooled and smoked.

Mick54

Hi Raiders. Thought I would share this with you guys. I was down at the Humps yesterday and had a floating bait out on my Abu Garcia GT20 combo. It was loaded with 350 m of 40lb rainbow braid. It took off with the fastest run I have ever seen. The 10m colours on the rainbow braid were disappearing in under a second. I kept tightening the star drag till it wouldn't turn any more then smoke started coming out of the star drag. I put my thumb on the spool and burnt a nice divot in it, just in time to see the last of my line disappear off the spool. What ever it was, went flat out for 350m, didn't slow, turn or react to my efforts to put preasure on it. If anyone hears of a monster being caught with a 350m leader in its mouth, ask them to return it to me.

Best bet is a thresher or mako i think... In summer it COULD be a Monster Spanish Mack but unlikely to be big enough to strip 350m of braid off your reel.. Know a few people who have pulled 20kg+ macks from Sydney in the last few years.. Wishful thinking about one being able to spool you though..

Cheers, Tom